The cutting has begun.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I was gonna have a stylist or two look at my knots to see if there's anything that could be done but, nah. I just decided to cut them out and be done with it. Hey. This may be a sign that it's time to get rid of these troublesome relaxed ends. (Or let hubby tell it, I need to just get back to relaxing :rolleyes:)

Soooo...

Let's get this party started right.

This pic in not of a ball of hair. It is a thick, solid knot of hair. The main knot, mind you. I was just so thru with it that I just hacked it off. You can't really tell how thick it is from the pic but, I was trying to show that straight edge near the top of my fingers. That's a lot of friggen hair wrapped up in there.

I still had smaller knots that I also cut. I'm left right now with one small section that's full of tiny knots. I'll probably hack those too.

I can't really tell length yet because I don't want to get my feeling hurt. Only that back quarter section is cut off so, the left side of my hair is my regular length. No doubt I'm going to have to just BC now. I don't know that it makes sense otherwise. Eh, we'll see.

Bottom line, all things work together for my good. So, I'm expecting this setback to produce an amazing comeback. Hopefully things will be much easier when I'm only dealing with my natural texture. Gotta stay hopeful. :yep:

ETA a reminder of what I was working with after picking at the knot for a few days.

See what I'm saying? :nono:

Last edited:

Pompous Blue

NJoy I know you're going to have an amazing comeback......You know what you gotta do to get that amazing mane back and you've started your HHJ back to where you want to be. Good luck!!!

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
You'll have an amazing comeback indeed. Sorry that your big chop didn't come on a happier note but your hair will grow out in time. For what it's worth welcome to the natural side. :hug2:

BraunSugar

I've been trying to keep up with your other thread to see what the ultimate result would be. I am glad the knot is gone. Your hair is going to grow back better than ever. There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Leslie_C

Just think of it this way, the relaxed ends had to go sooner or later anyway, so this just allows you to start your natural journey now...Im sure it will look fabulous and cant wait to see pics!

hannan

I'm sorry, NJoy. From what I've seen of your journey, you'll be back sooner than you think. The sooner you bc the rest of your hair, the sooner you'll enjoy your natural journey. You'll get through this!

:bighug:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Thanks Ladies. It's 3:30am and I'm just finishing the last of the several smaller knots. They seemed so harmless by comparison but were nearly as difficult. Needless to say, I just cut most of those out. So, half of my hair is cut and the other half is still braided up. I'll get to that tomorrow at some point. Cutting the knots out was liberating. Cutting the other side might not be so easy.

I will say, my natural hair feels so soft and fluffy, considering all the muss and fuss. My scalp is happy to feel my fingers too.

All in all, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought. 'course, I haven't really checked out the full extent. My stretched natural hair seems to be somewhere between apl and bsl but I'm not sure. It's probably terribly uneven so, we'll see what I end up with.

I feel like I'm starting over...but with thicker hair. :look:

Headed for a well-deserved slumber. Good night, All.

Shadiyah

I had to go back and find the first thread about this. you know this happen to my aunt. after a while of leaving that permed hair on her ends they just one day started coming out in my hands. I had to cut it all off. but she like you had a good bit of new growth.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Well I'm here pourin a lil out for the chopped hair, but we all know your hair grows quick. You got healthy hair growth down to a science, so I know it's gonna grow back super luscious!

AJellyCake

NJoy I hope your cutting is going well. :bighug:

This is really interesting to me because I chopped yesterday!! I was also just tired of the tangles and the dryness. But now I'm free! :grin: If you're going 100% and chopping everything, I think it will feel great. You might be surprised by how much of the knot was relaxed (for me, the knots were basically just relaxed hair acting a mess). But let me hush in case you're not quite ready to go there. :sekret: If you aren't, I chopped three golf ball-sized knots!! out of my hair in March, and I still had enough hair to last until July.

I'm expecting this setback to produce an amazing comeback. Hopefully things will be much easier when I'm only dealing with my natural texture. Gotta stay hopeful. :yep:

You will have an amazing comeback! We've all got your back (and me, I'm trying to ride your coattails to that amazing length)! So you'll be back and soon! I know your natural hair is so pretty!

SmilingElephant

NJoy don't feel so bad! :hug2: Your growth rate is SICK! You'll be back to TBL by like...tomorrow! I can't wait to see your new natural hair! Welcome to the daaaahhhhhk siiiiiiiide!! :grin:

Sent from my N860 using LHCF

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Ok. So today's the day that I take the rest off. I only cut the right side. I haven't even looked at my hair yet but, I'm very excited and very nervous.

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes! :grin:

You guys are a-Mazing, btw. Thanks so much for the support. :bighug:

Pompous Blue

Ok. So today's the day that I take the rest off. I only cut the right side. I haven't even looked at my hair yet but, I'm very excited and very nervous.

So today's the day you BC! I'm looking forward to pictures and then your 6 mos progress and 1-yr anni. I'm with you every step of the way.....As has been said, you're going to have an AMAZING journey!

Charla

I'm glad you're working through all this and staying positive! I can't remember if you still had texlaxed hair, but if so, did you have to cut that too?
Man, If you had natural, texlaxed and relaxed hair, I can't imagine the kind of work that takes! :spinning::spinning:

No doubt you'll be hitting your growth goals in no time! (and tell hubby you'll get your next relaxer when he gets his!:lol:)

ezina

Thanks Ladies. It's 3:30am and I'm just finishing the last of the several smaller knots. They seemed so harmless by comparison but were nearly as difficult. Needless to say, I just cut most of those out. So, half of my hair is cut and the other half is still braided up. I'll get to that tomorrow at some point. Cutting the knots out was liberating. Cutting the other side might not be so easy.

I will say, my natural hair feels so soft and fluffy, considering all the muss and fuss. My scalp is happy to feel my fingers too.

All in all, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought. 'course, I haven't really checked out the full extent. My stretched natural hair seems to be somewhere between apl and bsl but I'm not sure. It's probably terribly uneven so, we'll see what I end up with.

I feel like I'm starting over...but with thicker hair. :look:

Headed for a well-deserved slumber. Good night, All.

@ the bolded: OMG, your natural hair is already between apl and bsl already??? I stopped relaxing around the same time you did and I am nowhere near that length and I consider myself a pretty decent grower. Girl, I want whatever you're having!

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
NJOY my dear, how are you doing? Please show us some photos of your 'new' beautiful hair!

Dee Raven

Sorry to hear about the loss NJoy, but the length will be back soon enough. And I'm sure it will be great for you to not have to work with 2 textures anymore. What happened anyway? How did you get the knots?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
So, I got nothing done. My kids start school on Monday and I'm running around like crazy. I'm planning to officially BC on Monday, after the kids are in school. This way I can take my time without being interupted 100 times. Not to mention, I'm a little nervous. Yeeeeeee!!!! :look:

I'm glad you're working through all this and staying positive! I can't remember if you still had texlaxed hair, but if so, did you have to cut that too?
Man, If you had natural, texlaxed and relaxed hair, I can't imagine the kind of work that takes! :spinning::spinning:

No doubt you'll be hitting your growth goals in no time! (and tell hubby you'll get your next relaxer when he gets his!:lol:)

Charla

:lol:

3 textures, Girl. I'm cutting down to natural. At least, that's my plan.

@ the bolded: OMG, your natural hair is already between apl and bsl already??? I stopped relaxing around the same time you did and I am nowhere near that length and I consider myself a pretty decent grower. Girl, I want whatever you're having!

ezina

What? What length are you stretched?

Sorry to hear about the loss NJoy, but the length will be back soon enough. And I'm sure it will be great for you to not have to work with 2 textures anymore. What happened anyway? How did you get the knots?

Dee Raven

Girl, just being lazy. For me, the relaxed ends of my braids and twists tangle together when I lump them together wet overnight. Well, I had some major detangling that I was working on (not really knots tho). I had detangled 75% of my hair over a few days, twisting whatever I detangled.

So, one side of my hair was completely in twists. I french braided the twists. When doing the other side (keep in mind that I have conditioners and oils and such in my hair from working on detangling) I tried to french braid those twists plust the tangled section (leaving it clumped).

Ordinarily, I have to put Crisco on my relaxed ends to keep them from tangling overnight. I didn't do that and, I thought braiding the tangled hair would stretch it while it dried. Then I went to sleep (stayed up too late).

Next day, tangled beyond belief. I couldn't even find the end of teh french braid so I started picking and pulling my hair. It only made the knot tighter. I tried everything on it for several days. Finally, I just decided to cut the knots out and end my transition with BC. *sigh* I knew better. I knew better. smh.

Ah well. Hair grows. :look:

Last edited:

LynnieB

You're a champ for having dealt with those textures for as long as you did! 15 months was all I could stand!

Yes hair definitely grows so you'll be back to your old length before you know it and it won't be as nearly a pita as dealing with multiple textures.

HHG!!

Charla

So, I got nothing done. My kids start school on Monday and I'm running around like crazy. I'm planning to officially BC on Monday, after the kids are in school. This way I can take my time without being interupted 100 times. Not to mention, I'm a little nervous. Yeeeeeee!!!! :look:

Charla

:lol:

3 textures, Girl. I'm cutting down to natural. At least, that's my plan.
I don't blame you one bit for waiting till the kids go to school. (Wow your school starts back really early, I thought my school district was bad!)

But yeah, you're really going to need your full focus to do this, especially when you have to distinguish between your texlaxed and natural hair! Much success to you!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
You're a champ for having dealt with those textures for as long as you did! 15 months was all I could stand!

Yes hair definitely grows so you'll be back to your old length before you know it and it won't be as nearly a pita as dealing with multiple textures.

HHG!!

Yeah, I'm 15 months now so, it's a good time.

I don't blame you one bit for waiting till the kids go to school. (Wow your school starts back really early, I thought my school district was bad!)

But yeah, you're really going to need your full focus to do this, especially when you have to distinguish between your texlaxed and natural hair! Much success to you!

I'm SO ready for them to be back in school too. My kids think that summer vacation means they need to do something fun and exciting every single day. I think cleaning up your room is exciting. Ah well. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the support, Ladies. :yep:

MzSwift

((BIG HUG))

OMGosh, Njoy! I'm so anxious to see your new mane! It's gonna be so thick and lovely. You already have to skills to get the length and now with the thickness, you're gonna be unstoppable!

GL w/your cut on Monday, or Tuesday..or whenever you get the courage to cut the rest! LoL