The Do's and Don't When Visiting a Dominican Salon....

FAMUDva

my stylist is dominican and she did my highlites back in february, not only do they look very nice, but i had no breakage at all. my stylist is good at everything, color, relaxers, wax, cuts, she even does weaves nice. i wont let anyone else touch my hair, even though she's pricey to be dominican, its well worth the price.

Where do you go? I'm in the St. Mtn area and would like to know.

FAMUDva

I agree w/everything said. I want to stress the following
DO
Get the deep conditioner.
Bring your own wide tooth comb just in case.

Don't
Let them color your hair
Let them use the fine tooth comb the WHOLE time. (They only need it to rollerset. They definately do not need it for detangling) :nono:

Also, it seems that in the US many Dominican salons use flat irons and/or curling irons after they finish blowing out ur hair. This is not an authentic Dominican blowout IMO. In Santo Domingo, using heat appliances like flat irons and curling irons is frowned upon b/c it is bad for ur hair's health. Plus, dominican stylists should be able to get ur hair straight w/a blowdryer. I don't get the pt of the flat iron. :ohwell:

A final DO :
DO PAY ATTENTION...
Try to learn to do a dominican blowout on ur own or at least the rollersetting part.

Haven't seen this (bolded) in any of the Dom. salons I've been to in ATL. They don't even have anything on the station besides a blow dryer, brushes, clips, rollers, and leave in at the salon I go to often.

vonte422

I went to a dominican salon on Jamaica Ave. on Saturday in Queens. They did a pretty good job on my thick natural hair and it cost me $35 with tip. She did blowdry me STRAIGHT from the shampoo bowl and got it sleeker than sleek. I only felt the hot dryer about 3 times on my scalp and she let up once I told her it was too hot.

I can't get my hair this straight. She used minimal product as a leave-in and I have no clue what she used for shine at the end but it smelled good.

The ONLY problem or funny thing that happened is a pigeon flew into the salon and I told her "bird over there". She just looked and kept working. Then another person came from the back and FED THE BIRD BIRD FEED! I was rolling.

The funniest is when the bird got scared, try to fly out, hit the window, and eventually found its way out the front door. I ain't never seen nothing like that!

Overall I would go back. Also I combed my hair today and only 1 strand of hair came out of my head! Also my hair doesn't smell burnt. She deep conditioned me with about 3 scoops of the conditioner. I love the results.

CurleeDST what salon did you go to? Im looking for one in the area

Esq.2B

There's one I know of on 164thstreet between Jamaica Ave and 89th ave. It's directly around the corner from Jamaica Coliseum mall. I go there weekly. It's a $15 wash and set and it's only $12 on Tuesday and Wednesdays. I think it's name International Salon. I never look up at the sign so I'm not exactly sure.:spinning:

The best two girls are the one with the short hair cut (there's only one with a short cut) and the one with the red hair (only one with red hair too).

locabouthair

PLEASE watch them before you allow them to give you a relaxer. some of them overlap like crazy and over time you ends will get very thin. letting them give me relaxers was one of my biggest hair regrets:nono:

CurleeDST

Good question. I have no idea. I was tagging along w/ my grandmother and didn't pick up a business card. I do know it is about 1/2 mile down from the main part of Jamaica Ave. with all of the stores. Past Nubian Heritage on the right hand side.

The salon is on the right hand side.