The Dr. said my new founded Thyroid may affect my hair!

longhairlover

Of all things why would I end up with something that can do harm to my hair, she wasn't specific and honestly I didn't even want to ask what in the world a thyroid do to my hair? It's like affect anything else but that, guess i'm happy it wasn't a heart issue, the thyroid is making my heart beat fast :(

Can I get a virtual hug? I'm kinda down right now :sad:

** I just found an article that said thyroids can cause the hair to fall out! guess I may be changing my name to baldhairedlover4eva!

Last edited:

caramelma

I'm sorry to hear that I hope and pray that it dont affect your hair just try not to worry about it to much because stress will affect it. I hope you feel better hhhuuugggsss!

longhairlover

thank you so much, I found several articles that said the medications can cause the hair to fall out because of a hyper thyroid or a thyroid in general :(

I guess I should just be greatful that it's not worse and I don't have a heart issue, I will try to look at the positive side of it,

I am always fighting to keep my hair healthy but sickness can come and take it right away :(.

blessedandlucky

don't assume that will happen. it's a possibility. try to stay present. sending positive energy your way. don't stress too much b/c stress affects your hair too. take care.

cutiepiebabygirl

Hey Honey...don't be down

Is it Hyperthyroidsim or Hypothyroidism....they each have different affects on the body?? Now as far as the hair..it can cause thinning..but usually that's only when it is out of control...My mom has Hypo ( meaning her thyroid doesn't produce enough) and my aunt has Hyper ( her thyroid produces too much).

Before my aunt found out..her hair came out..but after she got on meds..her hair was fine.:grin::grin:

She has some of the thickest hair ever..same thing with my mom..
As long as you stay on your meds...you will be GOOD!!:grin::grin:

Everything will be alright..be encouraged...and here's your virtual hug!!:bighug:

Tarae

Why wasn't she specific, especially about a thyroid?
I wish you well, but my hair would be the last thing I'm worried about if my doctor said anything about my thyroid.

tatambabyy

I have hyperthyroidism and graves disease. not to mention I'm anemic. This all affects my hair. My hair was breaking like it was nobody's business. I thought I was going crazy at one point. Doing all I could for my hair, and then I went to the my endocrinologist and he explained these are symptoms of the disease. I still have breakage till this day. I has slowed down however. I cant blame the breakage all on the disease because I also wasn't taking care of my hair properly(prior to LHCF) Good luck. you can make it through!

longhairlover

The Dr. said it's hyperthyroidism and that's why my heart has beating out of control, I guess it is just starting to show symptoms, because in the summer I can't tolerate heat and with the syptoms I read up low heat tolerance is a sign, guess it's been in the making for a while. at one point I had gained weight, and now i'm losing it and going back to my regular skinny shape.

I was reading about the graves disease and it sounds bad, is graves disease really bad and or hard to deal with? At least with thyroids it seems that there is treatment and possibly a cure if it's not too bad.

I just wonder what other illnesses are in my family, I just went to the Dr. today and she recommended a endocrinologist for me to see for treatments.

I'm sooo against being medicated but I guess now I don't have a choice.

thank you for the kind words tatambabyy and everyone.

and thanks for the virtual hug :yep: I really appreciate it.

I have hyperthyroidism and graves disease. not to mention I'm anemic. This all affects my hair. My hair was breaking like it was nobody's business. I thought I was going crazy at one point. Doing all I could for my hair, and then I went to the my endocrinologist and he explained these are symptoms of the disease. I still have breakage till this day. I has slowed down however. I cant blame the breakage all on the disease because I also wasn't taking care of my hair properly(prior to LHCF) Good luck. you can make it through!

yuriko

I am sorry to hear this. Thyroid problems, hyper and hypo both affect hair negatively. The chances of this occurring are less frequent if you are kept in a euthyroid state by treatment. I hope it will not happen to you. My anemia really destroyed my hair when I had it bad. Take good care of yourself; we can be hopeful that you will not suffer this side effect.

You got some mad shiny hair by the way

tatambabyy

graves disease and hyperthyroidism are not bad AT ALL. I would've never known I had these diseases if I didnt go to my regular check up at the pediatrician. She decided she wanted to do blood tests, and one day she called my mother and wanted to see me right away. I had to go through at least three endos before one could diagnose me. I had the petruding eyes, sluggish behavior, dark skin around the neck, always hot, high blood pressure, and weight issues. I started seeing another endo and he ran blood tests and he says I don't have neither of the diseases anymore(after 2 yrs being on the meds) my mom does not believe this, however. I will be going to another endo for a second opinion. I have not been on meds for a year now and I am completely fine. I am overweight but I dont think this has nothing to do with my thyroid. And I am lazy, I also think this has nothing to do with the thyroid. you will be fine. I was diagnosed in the 8th grade. When i heard "graves" disease, I thought I was gonna die. lol. now I'm 18 and I forget that I had(may even still have it, according to my endo, I dont anymore) these diseases

Last edited:

mscocoface

I am sorry to hear about the health issues but I can promise you this. WE WILL walk through it with you and whatever hair problem you may encounter. I pray there will not be a hair issue but if there is get in here pronto and you will see recommendations flying like locust in a field.

Don't you worry, just get better everything else will be taken care of! Trust!

cutiepiebabygirl

My aunt who I mentioned earlier....also has Graves's diease..before she found out about it...she was really sick...she looked deathly...but she had it for 8 months without knowing/or any treatment..once she had a definitive diagnosis...they had to play with her meds to get her stable.

That was four years ago...she is still on her meds now..and she visits her endocrinologist frequently throughout the year to make sure she is okay...

But all in all, she is doing really well and hasn't any adverse affects since she was first diagnosed...

So it's a good thing you caught yours early....

longhairlover

thank you about the shiny hair, I just hope that now that i know what is wrong that I won't start noticing the effects, hopefully I just caught it and it is in the beginning stages.

Anemia is not joke too, people only think it effects how warm a person is but there's more to that.

I am sorry to hear this. Thyroid problems, hyper and hypo both affect hair negatively. The chances of this occurring are less frequent if you are kept in a euthyroid state by treatment. I hope it will not happen to you. My anemia really destroyed my hair when I had it bad. Take good care of yourself; we can be hopeful that you will not suffer this side effect.

You got some mad shiny hair by the way

longhairlover

your experience is really making me feel better, I don't want to give myself a suicide note before I go to the endo doc. I was reading tonight that it can be curable, and your even a witness to that, i think it may be the reason why I gained some weight and why I still have a little stomach no matter how much weight i lose everywhere else :sad:.

i guess if my heart wasn't going crazy then I would not have known, guess it's better to have found out.

I definitely can related on the being hot all the time, I thought I just didn't handle heat well, but in the summers my forehead just sweats like crazy, and I thought this must be a gland problem and look. duh on my behalf, with my symptoms I never thought of it being a thyroid.

graves disease and hyperthyroidism are not bad AT ALL. I would've never known I had these diseases if I didnt go to my regular check up at the pediatrician. She decided she wanted to do blood tests, and one day she called my mother and wanted to see me right away. I had to go through at least three endos before one could diagnose me. I had the petruding eyes, sluggish behavior, dark skin around the neck, always hot, high blood pressure, and weight issues. I started seeing another endo and he ran blood tests and he says I don't have neither of the diseases anymore(after 2 yrs being on the meds) my mom does not believe this, however. I will be going to another endo for a second opinion. I have not been on meds for a year now and I am completely fine. I am overweight but I dont think this has nothing to do with my thyroid. And I am lazy, I also think this has nothing to do with the thyroid. you will be fine. I was diagnosed in the 8th grade. When i heard "graves" disease, I thought I was gonna die. lol. now I'm 18 and I forget that I had(may even still have it, according to my endo, I dont anymore) these diseases

longhairlover

thank you so much, I will definitely keep everyone posted, i'm just happy that lhcf exists, it's the sisterhood that all women should have :yep:

I am sorry to hear about the health issues but I can promise you this. WE WILL walk through it with you and whatever hair problem you may encounter. I pray there will not be a hair issue but if there is get in here pronto and you will see recommendations flying like locust in a field.

Don't you worry, just get better everything else will be taken care of! Trust!

jamaicalovely

Hello :bighug:

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a few years ago. My hair was drying and falling out. Actually, that what led me here exactly a year ago. And guess what!!!....my hair is healthier and longer than it's ever been.:grin:

Here's some before and after photos. Check out my fotki for more pics and inspiration.

So, don't you worry. You're in good hands.

Remember....moisture moisture moisture.

Attachments

• IMG_short1.jpg
    IMG_short1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 9

longhairlover

Yeah i'm just worried about benefits and all because i'm just doing seasonal work right now, and my hubby works for AIG, so each week i'm waiting for him to tell me he has no job or benefits.

yeah now that I think about it may have been something that i've had since I was younger but from ignorance I just never thought of it, because I always thought thyroids only caused the eye bulging at times. ignorance.

My aunt who I mentioned earlier....also has Graves's diease..before she found out about it...she was really sick...she looked deathly...but she had it for 8 months without knowing/or any treatment..once she had a definitive diagnosis...they had to play with her meds to get her stable.

That was four years ago...she is still on her meds now..and she visits her endocrinologist frequently throughout the year to make sure she is okay...

But all in all, she is doing really well and hasn't any adverse affects since she was first diagnosed...

longhairlover

thank you for the virtual hug :),

your hair looks very fab and healthy, I have been noticing recently that my hair will snap off if you look at it, it's so fragile (even besides me stretching the relaxer).

I'm using moisturizing conditioner but all of a sudden it's just not enough now. I guess once I get medicated I can do research on here and get it not only shiny but actually back really healthy.

did you do the iodine treatment for the thyroid? my cardiologist said that is what the endo doc may give me.

Hello :bighug:

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a few years ago. My hair was drying and falling out. Actually, that what led me here exactly a year ago. And guess what!!!....my hair is healthier and longer than it's ever been.:grin:

Here's some before and after photos. Check out my fotki for more pics and inspiration.

So, don't you worry. You're in good hands.

Remember....moisture moisture moisture.

jamaicalovely

thank you for the virtual hug :),

your hair looks very fab and healthy, I have been noticing recently that my hair will snap off if you look at it, it's so fragile (even besides me stretching the relaxer).

I'm using moisturizing conditioner but all of a sudden it's just not enough now. I guess once I get medicated I can do research on here and get it not only shiny but actually back really healthy.

did you do the iodine treatment for the thyroid? my cardiologist said that is what the endo doc may give me.

Oh yes, the temper.:lachen:
No, my MD gave me Synthroid. I've been off from those meds for awhile, though.

F8THINHIM

I was misdiagnosed many years ago until I finally found out I had hyperthyroidism. That was taken care of after several years of meds and finally radiation treatment. I now have hypothyroidism and I am on synthroid. I am in my late forties and have been taking synthroid for almost ten years now. It runs in my family, yet my great aunts and grandmother had beautiful, thick, long hair. My haircare knowledge was lacking severely before I found this forum. My hair grew and broke off.

Since finding LHCF, I am learning how to care for my hair and it is responding well. I go consistently to the dr. and get bloodwork done so the meds are on point. If I feel out of whack, I go and see if we need to adjust the dosage. If you just stay on top of the meds and continue to treat your hair with the wisdom you've been using, you will be just fine!

:grouphug3:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I have an enlarged thyroid (small goiter) and am currently awaiting test results and an ultrasound exam to figure out what is going on. I have had crazy weight fluctuations, but my hair has been thriving since I came to LHCF. My thyroid went nuts after I quit smoking a year ago.

Don't stress! I have faith that things will turn out alright, and you'll keep every inch of your lovely hair!:yep:

luckiestdestiny

The Dr. said it's hyperthyroidism and that's why my heart has beating out of control, I guess it is just starting to show symptoms, because in the summer I can't tolerate heat and with the syptoms I read up low heat tolerance is a sign, guess it's been in the making for a while. at one point I had gained weight, and now i'm losing it and going back to my regular skinny shape.

I was reading about the graves disease and it sounds bad, is graves disease really bad and or hard to deal with? At least with thyroids it seems that there is treatment and possibly a cure if it's not too bad.

I just wonder what other illnesses are in my family, I just went to the Dr. today and she recommended a endocrinologist for me to see for treatments.

I just pm'd you. I have grave's disease. I was hyper they gave me radioactive iodine and I went hypo from that. Don't let them do that to you if that's the case. I can give tips. Give me the info via pm okay and we'll see what we can do. Years ago I got so frustrated I shaved my hair off (I had one inch of hair). I'm now past mid back. I thought this would never happen again as my hair became so brittle it would snap snap snap no matter what. I have tips to whip yours into shape!!!!!!!

luckiestdestiny

You can have adverse side effects from some medications. I ended up in the hospital for almost a month because I was over medicated with radioactive iodine from this. It is much better to take the other option. Pm for details. This has caused set backs and recovery that could've been prevented. Lots of docs try to take the easy way out with certain medications that should be avoided until the last minute, and others can be used to treat it much better if you do have Graves. I'd love to help if I can by PM.

blackbarbie

Awwww hon! Here's a virtual hug for you:bighug:
When I was 7, I had my thyroid removed. (that was 32 years ago). I have taken a thyroid replacement (synthroid) for the last 32 years. At certain points in my life (when I got older) I thought it was no big deal and would just stop taking the meds. I had a few episodes where certain symptoms would exist (low tolerance to cold, narcilepsy, constipation, slow metabolism, dry and brittle hair, etc.) and I didn't really associate them with my thyroid.

Over the years, if my meds aren't regulated, I can go from hypo to hyperthyroidism. Fortunately for me, it hasn't taken a toll on my hair in all this time, but it just causes me to be extra cautious in caring for my hair since I know that it can have an effect on it. I am more concerned about what it does to my health more than anything and since I am getting older, it concerns me now more than when I was younger.

It is definitely something that is manageable and as long as you educate yourself and listen to your body (and your doctor).

Good luck to you!

BB

TLC1020

Awwww.. I hope everything works out for you :yep::yep:

My hair broke off something terrible and it still breaking :wallbash:.. A month ago I went to the doctor to get a blood test for thyroid, anemia, lupus and general blood work and everything was negative :nono:. I am happy but at the same time something is still wrong and I don't know what :ohwell:. To keep me front cutting my hair short and starting over I keep my hair in rollersets. I dont' know what to do... I still clip my hair every chance I get.. I didn't say ends b/c my ends is not whats damaged....

jevetta

My daughter was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 7. Her hair was very thick and very dry. Now on proper meds her hair is still thick, but much shinier and better looking. Trust your doctor, take your meds and you will be fine. Jeve

HeChangedMyName

me too, my graves disease is in remission though and has been for 5 or 6 years. My doctor caught it early enough for the meds to work well and i was able to stop the meds actually.

I had sooo much breakage that it was scary. I ended up keeping a short cut, just so I wouldn't have to see my hair getting shorter.

that hyperthyroidism isn't terrible, but it can cause so many other symptoms that we often overlook. aside from your hair, it can affect your nails and skin making them very try and itchy. Keep moisterized all over head to toe often and that will help. stay on our meds. I was on PTU and it helped tremendously.

Also try to get sleep whenever you can because it can make you feel like you are on something. I use to fall asleep standing up at work before mine was diagnosed. Also, the weight loss was great and I was at my slimmest, but once they put you on the meds, watch your diet and exercise because while you are on the meds, you may gain weight rapidly. . .I gained 30 of the 50-60 lbs I am trying to lose now while I was on meds. .

**WonderWoman**

I'm re-posting my response to you on the Health-Fitness forum:

Awww...sweetie. Don't be sad. At least you're doing something about it. Two years ago I had my thyroid removed.

I started out with Hyperthyroidism and some quack doctor told me to change my diet - take out iodized salt - and my thyroid should go back to normal. 5 years later my thyroid had burned itself out and I got hypothroidism. I eventually went to a good doctor who conducted a thyroidectomy and put me on levothyroxine to artificially supply my body with thryoid hormones.

People who suffer from thyroid disorders experience different symptoms, but don't let it discourage you. Remember that all your symptoms are temporary and will all end when you get treated.

Yes, my hair was affected - dry, brittle, falling out and breaking off. I used to cry over my hair until I got frustrated and cut it to neck-length and left it there until I got treated. Now, thanks to healthy hair practices and hair vitamins I'm a healthy, thick APL.... and still growing!

You'll be just fine, sweetie