The hair I combed out after my first sew-in

Cloefa

I just got back from France last night and took out my first sew-in after having it in for 3 wks...my hair wasn't that tangled, just a little kinky around the crown where my hair is a lot thicker and courser than the rest of my head. my hair doesn't FEEL or LOOK any thinner, and grew about a 1/2in, but i couldnt belive how much hair i combed out in the shower...is this normal??? i used to get braids a lot until about 3 or 4 yrs ago and i honestly don't remember if i combed out this much hair or not (i wasnt as hair-health conscious as i am now.) i was kinda nervous about the weave b/c i've heard stories about breakage, thinning, etc...any advice would be much appreciated =)

Attachments

• IMG_2628-1.jpg
    IMG_2628-1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2627-1.jpg
    IMG_2627-1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Kneechay

it's not that bad to me. I usually have lots more hair lost, but I wear my weaves for about 3-3.5 months, so....

labellenoire

it's not that bad to me. I usually have lots more hair lost, but I wear my weaves for about 3-3.5 months, so....

I hear you Nichi. I usually have a lot more hair than that when I take in my sew in weaves. However, I have my weave in for about 2 months (sometimes 2 1/2 months). I would not sweat it too much. However, it is probably worth looking through the strands to make sure they have got white 'bulbs' at the roots. This will indicate normal shedding versus breakage

it_comes_naturally

It doesn't look like an excessive amount to me, however I have more than that after taking down my crochet braids. I wish I only had the amount you have here.

BGT

Am I the only person who believes it's normal to shed 50-100 hairs per day?

I don't think many people know that. All the hairs that you "lose" when you take out a weave or braids are the hairs that couldn't be shed naturally.

Nonie

I don't think many people know that. All the hairs that you "lose" when you take out a weave or braids are the hairs that couldn't be shed naturally.

Oh OK. Then OP, think about it this way, if it is normal to shed 100 hairs a day. Then in 3 weeks, it would be normal to shed a total of 2,100 hairs. And when your hair is braided or weaved or loc'd, the shed hair doesn't get to fall out, so when you do undo your hair, it would be normal for the 2,100 hairs to come out all at once because they'd finally be free to "shed".