THE LENTEN SEASON 2013

Rsgal

Today, Ash Wednesday, marks the beginning of the Lenten Season 2013.

For our Eastern Rite Catholic brethren, Lent on Monday (Clean Monday).

It begins 46 days before Easter but it only 40 days long because Sundays are not included.

Lent is practiced by Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans (some branches of it). Methodists pretty much always recognize Lent as a season these days, and they generally have an Ash Wednesday service.
Presbyterians and other Reformed denominations have come to embrace Lent more and more, but it's not universal.
This is a practice that is spreading on the whole and some occasional Baptists are embracing it too.

Today we start the holy and spiritual journey of Lent, as we observe Ash Wednesday, a time to “remember that we are dust, and to dust we shall return.” During Lent, we fast, pray, repent and prepare the way for the risen Christ.

Lent is our dedicated time to prepare for the mystery of Christ’s death and Resurrection. It is our time to focus on the foundation of our life in Christ, which began with our baptism. We are called to examine how we live our commitment to our faith, to pray for grace and strength, and to reflect on changes we can make in our life that will bring us even closer to God.

http://achristianpilgrim.wordpress....hop-fulton-j-sheens-messages-lenten-season-1/
ARCHBISHOP FULTON J. SHEEN’S MESSAGES – LENTEN SEASON 2011

[1] It’s never too late. In Lent, we should look ahead rather than back. Though time is too precious to waste, it must never be thought that what was lost is irretrievable. Once the Divine is introduced, then comes the opportunity to make up for losses. GOD IS THE GOD OF THE SECOND CHANCE.

Peter denied, but he had the second chance in which to become as solid as a rock. There really is such a thing as a “second birth”. Being born again means that all that went before is not held against us. The thief on the right side of the Lord on Calvary wasted a human life, but in accepting pardon won eternal life.

[2] Season of Love. We can think of Lent as a time to eradicate evil or cultivate virtue, a time to pull up weeds or to plant good seeds. Which is better is clear, for the Christian ideal is always positive rather than negative.

A person is great not by the ferocity of his hatred of evil, but by the intensity of his love for God. Asceticism and mortificdation are not the ends of a Christian life; they are only the means. The end is charity. Penance merely makes an opening in our ego in which the Light of God can pour. As we deflate ourselves, God fills us. And it is GOD’s arrival that is the important event.

[3] Dying daily. If we are to live for Christ, we must “die daily”. Let is an ideal time to think about our own death. A happy death is a masterpiece and no masterpiece is ever perfected in a day. Dubois spent seven years in making the wax model for his celebrated statue of Joan of Arc – and it stands today as a ravishing perfection of the sculptor’s art. In like manner our death must appear as a ravishing perfection of the many years of labor we have given over to its mold by dying daily.

The greatest reason we fear death is because we have never prepared for it. Most of us die only once – WHEN WE SHOULD HAVE DIED A THOUSAND TIMES – yes, even daily. Death is a terrible thing for one who dies only when he dies; but it is a beautiful thing for him who dies before he dies.

[4] Only God bring happiness. Lenten practices of giving up pleasures are good reminders that the purpose of life is not pleasure. The purpose of life is to attain to perfect life, all truth and undying ecstatic love – which is the definition of God. In pursuing that goal we find happiness. Pleasure is not the purpose of anything; pleasure is a by-product resulting from doing something that is good.

One of the best ways to get happiness and pleasure out of life is to ask ourselves, “How can I please God?” and, “Why am I not better?” It is the pleasure-seeker who is bored, for all pleasures diminish with repetition.

[5] The Law of Sacrifices. “Unless the grain of wheat falling to the ground die, itself remaineth alone.” The power to find life through death makes the seed nobler than the diamond. In falling to the ground it loses its outer envelope which is restraining the life within it. But one this outer skin dies in the ground, then life pushes forth into the blade.

So too, unless we die to the world with its vices and its concupiscences, we shall not spring forth into life everlasting. If we are to live a higher life, we must die to the lower life; if we live in the lower life of this world, we die to a higher life, which is Christ. To put the whole law in the beautiful paradox of Our Divine Lord: If we wish to save our life, we must lose it.

PinkPebbles

Thanks for posting!

I'm a member of a Methodist church and we celebrate the Lenten season.

I didn't plan on going to church tonight but I decided to go now:Blush2:.

LiftedUp

Thank you for this.

fast, pray, repent and prepare the way for the risen Christ

I am celebrating Lent as well. I look forward to this time to fast, prayer, repent and renew. I am focusing on a Christ centred life this year vs one filled with manmade idols (money, material gain etc.)

Some Presberyterians celebrate it as well, we usually get our Lenten booklets from them.

AtlantaJJ

I went to Mass and received my ashes last night.
I will post more about my personal Lenten season later in this thread.

During the Mass we were provided small nails for us to carry with us during this Lenten season. The following are excepts from the Lent 2013 sheet we received last night:
From the Lent 2013 bulletin said:
Lenten Nails: A Reflection Exercise for Lent
Carry your nail during the 40 days of Lent as a reminder of Jesus' great love for each and every one of us. When you feel the nail, pause for a moment to think of the immensity of our Lord's love when He was nailed to the Cross, and how you reflect that love in the world around you.

In the Lenten Tradition there are three pillars:
Prayer / Fasting / Alms-giving

Let the touch of the nail remind you to engage in these practices daily.
  • Make a habit of saying a prayer in the little moments of the day such as: when someone cuts you off in traffic, when someone does you a favor, when you rejoice in a beautiful day, and when things don't go your way.
  • In addition to the Church's prescribed fasting during Lent, consider fasting from gossip, destructive criticism unwarranted fear and anxiety (for example)
  • In addition to monetary giving, give of yourself daily in small ways: share words of encouragement, praise and thanks with others: give the gift of your time and attention; give smiles freely to everyone you meet.

Ways to Wake up Your Spiritual Life During Lent:
Be a Simon the Cyrenean.
  • Simon helped carry Jesus' cross. Today, offer to help a neighbor, family member, or co-worker with a tough chore. The help can be physically, emotional, or spiritual.
Worship with friends or family.
  • Be attentive to the songs, prayers, and readings. Discuss the homily after Mass
Pick up a copy of "The Word Among Us" (Lenten booklet with Scripture)...
  • Devote some time each day to reflecting on God's Word.
Give it Up
  • Pick one habit that drags you down or keeps you from living fully. Just for today, let go of it. Fill that emptiness with something positive.
Rise and pray.
  • Get up 1/2 hour early today and spend the time in prayer
Travel lighter.
  • Today and for the rest of Lent, give away one possession every few days to someone who can use it more than you. Make more room in your life for God.

Prayer:
Lord,You suffered intense pain and sorrow when You were nailed to the cross out of great love for us. Open my heart to the sufferings of others and the opportunities You give me to be of service to them and to You. Let this nail be a reminder of the depth of Your love for me and all people. Amen.​

AtlantaJJ

The Gospel Reading 2-13-2013:

Matthew 6:1-6 - New Living Translation (NLT)
Teaching about Giving to the Needy
Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. 2 When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. 3 But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. 4 Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.

Teaching about Prayer and Fasting
5 When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get. 6 But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.

Matthew 6:16-18 - (NLT)
16 And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get. 17 But when you fast, comb your hair and wash your face. 18 Then no one will notice that you are fasting, except your Father, who knows what you do in private. And your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.​

PinkPebbles

I went to Mass and received my ashes last night.
I will post more about my personal Lenten season later in this thread.

During the Mass we were provided small nails for us to carry with us during this Lenten season. The following are excepts from the Lent 2013 sheet we received last night:

AtlantaJJ I went to church last night and received my ashes as well. The service and sermon was beautiful. The message was let us all examine our hearts and repent. This is not a season to be depressed and use it as an excuse to wallow in sin; but to humble ourselves and ask God for help and mercy while He can still be found.

AtlantaJJ

February 14, 2013
Meditation: Deuteronomy 30:15-20
Choose life...(Deuteronomy 30:19)
From the Word Amoung Us said:
The Israelites were just about to enter the Promised Land. Forty years of waiting and wandering had finally come to
an end, and Moses was preparing the people for the next phase of their history: the time when God would bring
them into a land flowing with milk and honey.
So standing before the Israelites, Moses issued them the most important challenge they would ever hear. Would they choose life by following Yahweh’s commands? Or would they choose death by following their own ways and
the ways of the nations around them?
This challenge didn’t come out of nowhere. Moses had already spent much time reminding them of all the Lord had done. He reminded them how God had delivered them from Egypt and continued to offer them his protection. He
spoke of how manna showed up every morning, and quail every evening. He told them that even their clothes did not wear out as they wandered in the desert. But now the time had come for the people to decide for themselves to
live under God’s protection. The manna would stop, and so would the quail. God’s miraculous provision would end so that they could choose the way of life, the way of faithful obedience.
Today the Lord stands before us and offers us the same call and promise. He is asking us to choose life, not death.
He is asking us to follow His commands and share his love with one another. And He is promising that if we do, He will be with us to strengthen us and lift us into his presence.
Our God has already performed so many miracles for us: He has risen from the dead; He has opened heaven to us;
He has filled us with his Holy Spirit; He has given us every gift and blessing we need for our everyday lives.
Now the choice is ours. Will we choose life and live in His presence and know His love? Or will we choose death and live a life of isolation and loneliness?

"Father, You are the author of life. I choose to receive You today. I choose to follow You and heed Your voice. Thank You for calling me and filling me with Your infinite love."
Today's readings: Psalm 1:1-4, 6; Luke 9:22-25

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

From "The Word Among Us" said:
Meditation: Isaiah 58:1-9
This, rather, is the fasting that I wish. (Isaiah 58:6)

Of the three practices that we focus on in Lent—prayer, fasting, and almsgiving—it’s the latter that we can find the most challenging. While many of us do give to the needy during Lent, it can be harder to find opportunities to serve the poor in person.

Often we begin Lent with a sincere desire to help the poor, but somehow the whole season gets away from us before we are able to find a way to serve. With today being just the third day of Lent, we still have plenty of time to make a concrete decision about what we will do!

Are you not sure where to start? Maybe a call to your parish office would be a good first step. Ask about opportunities to help with a parish clothing drive, a food pantry, or the local St. Vincent de Paul Society. More than simply giving a donation—which is always good—look for opportunities that bring you into direct contact with those less fortunate than you. That’s when your heart changes—when you look into the eyes of those you are serving and recognize them as your brothers and sisters.

If you don’t find something at first, keep looking. Check your diocesan newspaper or visit the local charities in your area. Catholic newspapers often have listings of area charities that are looking for volunteers. Who knows? Maybe you can even turn this into a permanent thing once Lent is over. After all, Jesus reminds us that the poor we will always have with us, not just during Lent!

Today’s passage from Isaiah is a dramatic reminder that Jesus is looking at the motives of our hearts more than just our outward actions. As much as he loves it when we fast, he is also looking for people who are seeking to set the oppressed free, share their bread with the hungry, shelter the homeless, and clothe the naked (Isaiah 58:6-7). What’s more, if we do this, God promises: “Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your wound shall be quickly healed… . You shall cry for help, and he will say: Here I am!” (58:8-9).

“Jesus, I want to serve you in the poor and needy this Lent. Help me find a practical way to meet you as I reach out to those less fortunate in my community.”

Psalm 51:3-6, 18-19; Matthew 9:14-15

blazingthru

what is the purpose of Lent? Its not biblical. If it is where is it? what is the purpose of the Ash. I found no reference in the bible to do this. I did find other history on Lent and its not Christian based, but so many are participating in this season and I am curious as to why?

LiftedUp

what is the purpose of Lent? Its not biblical. If it is where is it? what is the purpose of the Ash. I found no reference in the bible to do this. I did find other history on Lent and its not Christian based, but so many are participating in this season and I am curious as to why?

Lent is a time some Christians around the world join together in fasting, and focusing on the word. It may not be in the Bible as other Christian observations such as Christmas however it is built on Biblical principles.

The ash is from the palms burnt from the Palm Sunday of the previous year which remembers Jesus' entrance into Jerusalem when palms branches lined the street. It is the Sunday before Easter Sunday.

I do not think that Jesus would be upset that some Christians view this as a holy period and prayed, fasted and on Good Friday do pennants.

I have celebrated Lent as a child and I look forward to this time every year.

Hope this answers your questions blazingthru

PinkPebbles

Lent is a time some Christians around the world join together in fasting, and focusing on the word. It may not be in the Bible as other Christian observations such as Christmas however it is built on Biblical principles.

The ash is from the palms burnt from the Palm Sunday of the previous year which remembers Jesus' entrance into Jerusalem when palms branches lined the street. It is the Sunday before Easter Sunday.

I do not think that Jesus would be upset that some Christians view this as a holy period and prayed, fasted and on Good Friday do pennants.

Hope this answers your questions @blazingthru

LiftedUp beautifully stated.

It's always a blessing when the children of God consecrate their hearts and minds unto the Lord, whether it's done individually or as a corporate body.

blazingthru

Hope this answers your questions blazingthru

Thank you LiftedUp for answering my question. I agree that so many Christians celebrate holidays that are not biblical an in some cases, that is fine when you are doing the things you mentioned above, however when its connected to Pagan Traditions, we should be very careful. You said something that made me pause a moment, What does God really think about us celebrating Pagan Holidays but changing them to honor him. I honestly do not think he is pleased at all. But this is worth looking into. Matthew 15:9 (KJV 1900)
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. This is the scripture that stands out the most to me. How can we worship God in Vain, but he said in Vain for following the traditions of men instead of Gods Commandments. I raised my children in Catholic School, I never questioned anything. I was annoyed that they came home dirty, because that is how I viewed it, but never questioned it. I was not very spiritual. It was when I became spiritual I started to question the things we do and not aware of the true meaning.

ktykaty

blazingthru

Historically, lent is a season of preparation for the catechumens who are going to be baptized on easter and they are called to fast, pray and give.
It's a forty day season because Jesus fasted during forty days before starting his public ministry and the Israeli people spent 40 years in the desert before entering promised land.

Nowadays, all the church practices lent, because we are praying in communion with and for the catechumens and because we also need to become more Christ like.

Lent is a biblically based tradition. There's nothing pagan about it.

Rsgal

Thanks @AtlantaJJ for the reflection readings you've been posting.

My hope is that this thread will be a place for all that are observing Lent, regardless of their religious affiliations, to share scriptures and reflections and be encouraging to one another.

This should not be the place to Catholic bash or to air religious grievances.

As seen, by most of the posters here, Lent is NOT a Catholic Only practice.

AtlantaJJ

Reading & Meditation for February 18, 2013
Meditation: Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18
1st Week of Lent

I am the Lord. (Leviticus 19:18)
The Word Among Us said:
In Leo Tolstoy’s tale “Martin the Cobbler,” Martin is told in a dream that Jesus will come to see him. He spends the next day nervously glancing out the window of his shop, looking for Jesus to walk down the street. Several times that day, Martin breaks away from his vigil to welcome and help needy passersby: a weary worker, a freezing mother and infant, and an old woman angry with a misbehaving boy. That night, Martin puzzles over why Jesus never showed up. Just then, he hears a voice asking, “Martin, don’t you know me?” Through the darkness he sees all his needy visitors, each one saying, “It is I.” They could just as easily have been quoting today’s first reading, in which God tells the Israelites over and over, “I am the Lord.”When Moses reminded the Israelites not to steal or deal falsely with their neighbors, or slander or hate, each admonition reminded them that it was the Lord himself they would be offending. Similarly, in today’s Gospel, when Jesus told the people about the final judgment, he made the same point. Our actions done to even the least of his brethren are done to him.

In Jesus’ parable, the “goats” argued that since they had never seen the Lord, they shouldn’t be faulted for failing to serve him. And the “sheep” were just as surprised to learn that their acts of kindness toward the needy were really actions done to the Lord. Just like Martin the cobbler, these folks learned that by taking care of the people who crossed their path, they were actually meeting Jesus.

We are at the beginning of our Lenten journey. Instead of wondering how Jesus will come to you this Lent, why not go out and meet him? You’ll find him in the eyes of your children. You’ll find him in the touch of your spouse. You’ll find him in the home of a lonely neighbor and in the face of the homeless man downtown. Go and meet him there, and you’ll find it much easier to discover him in the tabernacle at church and in the words you read in Scripture.

“Lord, I don’t want to be so busy looking for you that I fail to see you right before my eyes. Teach me how to find you. Jesus, draw me close to your heart!"
Psalm 19:8-10, 15; Matthew 25:31-46

Last edited:

blazingthru

Thanks @AtlantaJJ for the reflection readings you've been posting.

My hope is that this thread will be a place for all that are observing Lent, regardless of their religious affiliations, to share scriptures and reflections and be encouraging to one another.

This should not be the place to Catholic bash or to air religious grievances.

As seen, by most of the posters here, Lent is NOT a Catholic Only practice.

It was a question and a statement of my experience, I was not bashing the Catholic's how so when I said I raised my children in Catholic's school. Actually I grew up in Baptist and Methodist and the Church of God and I went to mass. We never celebrated Lent it was never discussed. In school during Lent Season we had fish on Friday period. Also being the faith that I am now I get questions all the time, I get made fun of, talked about, even mistreated I am always striving to give an answer for the faith that I believe regardless. I am always WILLING to learn and to study and understand my own faith so that when I get questions that might make me doubt this or that I will be able to give an answer. Every question is an opportunity to teach.

AtlantaJJ

Reading & Meditation for February 19, 2013
Meditation: Matthew 6:7-15
1st Week of Lent
Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. (Matthew 6:10)
The Word Among Us said:
When you were young, did you enjoy hearing firsthand accounts of where your parents or grandparents grew up? Didn’t it feel as if you could picture their homes because of the vivid way they described their younger years? Well, Jesus also had a firsthand account of the place where he came from—heaven.

When Jesus spoke about heaven, he wasn’t talking about a distant reality but a real place that is his home. He was talking about a reality that was as near to him as our world is to us. Jesus knew heaven as a place free from pain, weeping, and death (Revelation 21:4) He knew it as a place of everlasting joy and peace. He often spoke of the rewards stored in heaven for the righteous (Matthew 5:12; 6:20; 19:21). The very reason he became man was to testify to the reality of heaven and to make a way for everyone to join him there.

In all his preaching, as well as in his miracles and acts of forgiveness, Jesus sought to give the people a sense of hope: heaven had broken into earth, and everlasting life was now on the horizon! Through his death and resurrection, Jesus overcame the sin that had separated us from God. He brought us close to our heavenly Father and made it possible for us to become citizens of his heavenly kingdom. What’s more, by the gift of his Holy Spirit, he has made heaven a present reality for us. Each and every day, we can experience a touch of heaven as the Spirit pours God’s love into our hearts (Romans 5:5).

So what does this mean as we pray, “Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven?” Good news, that’s what! It means that as we try our best to do God’s will every day, we are aligning ourselves with heaven. It means that the reality and the rewards of heaven will flow into our lives. It means that we can experience all the blessings, gifts, and grace that God has stored up for us in heaven—right here, right now!

“Father, teach me to love heaven as my new and eternal home.”
Isaiah 55:10-11; Psalm 34:4-7, 16-19

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

Reading & Meditation for February 18, 2013
Meditation: Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18
1st Week of Lent

I am the Lord. (Leviticus 19:18)

Psalm 19:8-10, 15; Matthew 25:31-46

AtlantaJJ this devotional ministered to me and it coincides with what God has been speaking to my heart.

Too many of us are so 'religious' that we cannot discern the cries of those whom God has put in our path. We cannot discern their cry for help, deliverance, forgiveness, healing, prayer, salvation, etc. We are too busy looking on the outward appearance and cannot discern what's really important unto the Lord.

So many of us are like the Pharisees that were angry at Jesus because he healed a man on the Sabbath day. The Pharisees were so religious that they could not discern that Jesus was giving life and hope to someone in need. As well as, calling sinners to repentance.

Jesus said to them "Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath day, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill?"

Mark 3:1-6

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ this devotional ministered to me and it coincides with what God has been speaking to my heart.

Too many of us are so 'religious' that we cannot discern the cries of those whom God has put in our path. We cannot discern their cry for help, deliverance, forgiveness, healing, prayer, salvation, etc. We are too busy looking on the outward appearance and cannot discern what's really important unto the Lord.

So many of us are like the Pharisees that were angry at Jesus because he healed a man on the Sabbath day. The Pharisees were so religious that they could not discern that Jesus was giving life and hope to someone in need. As well as, calling sinners to repentance.

Jesus said to them "Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath day, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill?"

Mark 3:1-6
Hillsong United's song "Hosanna" has two lyrics that have been really touching my spirit when I listen to that song: "open up my eyes to the things unseen" and "break my heart for what breaks Yours". I am really coming to understand what I am praying for when I sing those lyrics. :yep:

AtlantaJJ

Reading & Meditation for February 20, 2013
Meditation: Luke 11:29-32
1st Week of Lent
No sign will be given … except the sign of Jonah. (Luke 11:29)
The Word Amoung Us said:
Public figures tend to speak candidly in smaller, private gatherings of firm supporters. But when they are in front of larger groups, they paint with broader brushstrokes and use crowd-pleasing language. Not so with Jesus! Upon seeing a crowd swelling, he decided to challenge his audience. They were looking for a supernatural sign, but he invited them to repentance and conversion instead.

Clearly, Jesus was very generous with miracles. Over the course of his public ministry, he healed countless people, drove out demons, even brought the dead back to life. But he didn’t perform these wonders to satisfy people’s curiosity. He did it to reveal his Father’s love and power—and he did it in response to their faith. In today’s Gospel, however, Jesus could tell that the people in this crowd were in greater need of having their hearts opened, not in witnessing yet another marvel.

So Jesus told them about the citizens of Nineveh, who repented when Jonah called them to put away their sin and turn to the Lord. Even though the Ninevites were Gentiles, and even though Jonah was a reluctant prophet, the people accepted his word and offered a very impressive display of public repentance. By recalling this Old Testament story, Jesus made it clear that the most powerful “sign” he could give was not a spectacular miracle but the sign of repentance and transformed lives.

Jesus is speaking the same message to us today, and sometimes he speaks it very directly and pointedly. Don’t shy away when he does! Instead, let it move you to the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Come to confession so that he can shine his light on whatever darkness is lurking in your heart. Open your heart to him, trusting that he loves you too much to let you remain in a rut. His call to repentance is not a rebuke but an invitation to companionship. It’s an invitation to a new life. You don’t really need another sign, do you? Confess your sins. Embrace his mercy. As you do, you will find more than enough signs of his presence.

“Jesus, make me into a sign that will bring people to you. I want to embrace your mercy so that other people may see you and believe.”
Jonah 3:1-10; Psalm 51:3-4, 12-13, 18-19

AtlantaJJ

Reading & Meditation for February 21, 2013
Meditation: Matthew 7:7-12
Ask … seek … knock. (Matthew 7:7)
The Word Among Us said:
Christopher Columbus. Ferdinand Magellan. Vasco Da Gama. These men are considered some of history’s greatest explorers. But what enabled them to cross vast oceans at great risk just to reach their goal? Mostly it was
their determination to succeed no matter what. It also took a lot of trust. They had to trust in their ships, in their navigational instruments and charts, and ultimately, in God.

This is the kind of attitude that Jesus is asking us to have in prayer. For there’s a certain level of tenacity implied in the advice he gives us today: ask, seek, and knock. Jesus is telling us that not only should we request things of God, we should actively seek him out for these things. In fact, he invites us to knock right on his front door! He tells us to be persistent as well. We can’t give up just because we don’t see tangible results right away. We need to keep on asking, seeking, and knocking.

This means that trust has to be at the heart of our prayer—trust based on knowing how much the Lord cares for us. It’s a trust in his promise: “If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it” (John 14:14). It’s a trust based on the fact that our Father loves us so much that he sent his only Son to die a sinner’s death for us. It’s the trust that tells us that our God will never abandon us. He is our Father, not just our Maker, and he doesn’t hand out snakes to his children!

In prayer today, take a cue from the great explorers. You may have been seeking something for a long time—perhaps a job or healing from an illness. Don’t give up! Your persistence will pay off as you draw closer to God—and as he draws closer to you. So give your worries to him. Even if he doesn’t answer your prayer the way you had hoped, he will answer in the way that is best for you. The only thing he can’t do is ask for you—that part is up to you!

“Lord, teach me to pray with persistence and with faith in your love and care. Help me to trust that you are always with me—no matter what the challenge may be.”
Esther C:12, 14-16, 23-25; Psalm 138:1-3, 7-8

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

Reading & Meditation for February 22, 2013
Meditation: Matthew 16:13-19

You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God. (Matthew 16:16)

The Word Amoung Us said:
Sometimes a little inside information makes a big difference. Say you give your neighbor a friendly hello but get a frown in return. You’re miffed. Until you learn that the neighbor’s child has fallen critically ill. Doesn’t that change everything? Your heart swells with compassion, and you want to reach out—with prayer, encouragement, practical help … something! One piece of information has opened your eyes to a reality you hadn’t been able to see.

Something similar happened to Peter at Caesarea Philippi. And it was an awesome piece of inside information: Jesus is “the Messiah, the Son of the living God”! What’s more, the source of that information was even more awesome: it did not come from “flesh and blood” but from the Father Himself (16:17).

Over time, this divine insight into Jesus’ hidden identity changed everything for Peter. His understanding of God, his relationships, worldview, his way of life—nothing would ever be the same. Neither would Peter’s view of himself. For on that same occasion, Jesus revealed another piece of inside information: “You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church” (Matthew 16:18). From the earliest times, the Church has celebrated his choice as head shepherd of the flock in the feast of the Chair of St. Peter.

God didn’t want this revelation to Peter to remain a secret between the two of them. No, he meant it to be shared always, with everyone, to the ends of the earth. And so, through the ministry of Peter and his successors, this good news has come down to us. And it comes in a personal way, for here is Jesus, asking each of us, “Who do you say that I am? Do you take me as Lord of your life?”

One more thing. It’s not just Peter who needed insight into what God had created him to do and be. At every step of the way, we also need that revelation, guidance, and encouragement. So don’t be afraid to ask Jesus, “Who do you say that I am?” His answer will transform your life too.

“Jesus, I confess that you are the Lord! May every part of me bear witness to this truth.”
1 Peter 5:1-4; Psalm 23:1-6

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

Reading & Meditation for February 26, 2013
Meditation: Isaiah 1:10, 16-20

2nd Week of Lent
Learn to do good. Make justice your aim. (Isaiah 1:17)
In just a few words, the prophet Isaiah urged the Israelites to make a vital decision: “Wash yourselves clean! Cease doing evil!” Moments like this are a great grace, moments when we clearly see what we have done wrong and choose to deal with it. If I’ve stolen money, I should make restitution. If I’ve been swearing, I should resolve to stop. Whatever the situation, I need to do something. I may need to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation, seek forgiveness from someone I have hurt, or avoid a particular place or thing that endangers me.

But let’s be clear. Not all change occurs in dramatic moments. Most of the time, our goal is to “aim at” justice and “learn to do good” one step at a time. Perhaps God is inviting you to grow in kindness. There are many ways you can do this. You can take time to pray for a person who irritates you and then look for ways to compliment him or her. You can pause before you begin each new chore or activity and ask God to show you one small way that you can be helpful there.

Here’s another strategy: instead of focusing on the negative trait you are trying to overcome, try cultivating its opposite. If you tend toward passivity, cultivate zeal by stepping forward to help out. If you tend to be critical, practice appreciation by saying positive and encouraging things. If pride is your main temptation, cultivate humility by putting other people first. If you are impatient, cultivate patience by waiting longer before grumbling or even looking at your watch.

This kind of learning doesn’t happen overnight, and it can be challenging. But know this: your tiniest efforts bring a smile to God’s face. When you offer him even your desire to do better, he multiplies this little gift and fills it with the transforming power of his love. Just as a parent teaches a baby to talk by praising and repeating his first sounds, Jesus, our patient teacher, is eager to work with us as we grow in his love.

“Holy Spirit, I am still learning to know you and walk in your ways. Keep teaching me and forming me. Lord, I want to learn to do good!”
Psalm 50:8-9, 16-17, 21, 23; Matthew 23:1-12

Last edited: