The Mini Twist / Mini Braid Thread

Tealhope

Maybe you can split it up in sections. Like I'll take out extensions, detangle, on 1 day
then on a different day depending on my energy level I'll wash, deep condition and start whatever style I'm doing on a different day (or days :lol:).
Lol, its why I call it wash week!
Day 1-2 Take down
Day 3 Wash, condition, section/detangle and braid up
Day 4-7 Retwist
It helps with the frustration and allows you to do a more thorough job :yep:

Lute

So due to flaking and dry scalp issues.. I took out my twists. Used Nizoral to wash my hair and scalp. Deep conditioned for about 45 minutes. Blew out my hair and installed mini braids. My hair is soooo skinny. But I like it. It feels elegant and I would like to keep this in for about 2-3 months. Which involves rebraiding/refreshing my hair.

It took me about 2 days to install it. It was a pretty smooth install. Having my hair blown out really helps with the parting.

I hope this will help the health of my hair. I have noticed that some braids are thick from root to end and some aren't. :(

MzSwift

So due to flaking and dry scalp issues.. I took out my twists. Used Nizoral to wash my hair and scalp. Deep conditioned for about 45 minutes. Blew out my hair and installed mini braids. My hair is soooo skinny. But I like it. It feels elegant and I would like to keep this in for about 2-3 months. Which involves rebraiding/refreshing my hair.

It took me about 2 days to install it. It was a pretty smooth install. Having my hair blown out really helps with the parting.

I hope this will help the health of my hair. I have noticed that some braids are thick from root to end and some aren't. :(

Yes, the braid are absolutely skinnier than the twists. As a fine-haired lady myself, I've always hated the freshly braided look bc it looked so limp on me. lol

As long as you remain consistent with your conditioning while in the braids, I believe you will definitely see improvement in your hair. The braids will mean less manipulation for your individual strands, so that will give them a rest as they soak up the goodness you pour into them. If you're afraid of buildup in the braids, your hair will still benefit from using your products diluted. You can dilute your cleanser and conditioner each 50/50 with water in a cup/jar/container and then pour it onto your hair that way. Do that weekly or biweekly for the best results!

GL to you! Mini braids have helped me to improve the health of my hair and have taken me from SL to WL twice, both natural and texlaxed.

Tealhope

Ugh! I also have been battling dandruff forever. I'm a Head and Shoulders lady, but I just finished a bottle of Nizoral and I liked the results! I'm definitely going to rotate it with H&S.

CoiledOrchids

I had to re-join this thread because I have no idea what to do with all this hair.

I think I want to do my twists when school is out in June.

what do you use to twist with?
i was thinking about trying oyin handmade burnt sugar pomade but idk. I have 4c hair

snoop

I had to re-join this thread because I have no idea what to do with all this hair.

I think I want to do my twists when school is out in June.

what do you use to twist with?
i was thinking about trying oyin handmade burnt sugar pomade but idk. I have 4c hair

I have 4c hair as well and I just use water. I add my moisturizer and oils after my whole head is done.

MzSwift

I woke up this morning with an urge to rock mini braids. The weather is finally turning where I am and my hair is getting longer.

BUT, I'm not sure if my hair is long enough for ME to feel comfortable keeping them in when the roots get really loose. Lately, that's been happening every 2 weeks. I'm not sure I wanna do 13 hrs of work for a two week style or if I wanna do that much work every two weeks.

More importantly, I've got serious growth goals and hiding my hair under cornrows has been really good for me.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
It'll depend on how the hair is looking after the take down.

I did take my hair down a few days after Easter and it was so dry. I had to look back through my posts on the forum and I realized I only washed my hair maybe 5 times the first three months of the year. I have been damp bunning for the past week to keep some moisture in. I will be doing my color and a possible blow out in the morning.

Tealhope

I woke up this morning with an urge to rock mini braids. The weather is finally turning where I am and my hair is getting longer
BUT, I'm not sure if my hair is long enough for ME to feel comfortable keeping them in when the roots get really loose. Lately, that's been happening every 2 weeks. I'm not sure I wanna do 13 hrs of work for a two week style or if I wanna do that much work every two weeks.

More importantly, I've got serious growth goals and hiding my hair under cornrows has been really good for me.
Are you able to wear one of those workout hair bands and just bunning the twists?

MzSwift

Are you able to wear one of those workout hair bands and just bunning the twists?

Yes, I absolutely pull those out - even in my cornrows! :lachen:
It's just that with the singles, leaving that much new growth or loose roots can lead to matting problems for me.

I'm planning to go ahead and install them in the next day or so. After I finish adding walls to my pergola. I don't have the energy to devote time to both that and installing mini braids/twists.

Tealhope

Yes, I absolutely pull those out - even in my cornrows! :lachen:
It's just that with the singles, leaving that much new growth or loose roots can lead to matting problems for me.

I'm planning to go ahead and install them in the next day or so. After I finish adding walls to my pergola. I don't have the energy to devote time to both that and installing mini braids/twists.
Ah! That makes sense! I’m in the same club, I wear those things for every style

Lute

Going into my third week of my mini braids. There is a bit of new growth.

This past Sunday I washed and deep conditioned my hair. Been nursing my edges and moisturizing my hair. Especially my ends, I usually moisturize my ends but I don't add enough oils or butter to the ends of it. Which I really don't do enough of. I think that's part of the reason as to why my ends get very tangled and stuck together when its time to take down the twists.

I know by next week, I would need to redo some of my braids.

MzSwift

Going into my third week of my mini braids. There is a bit of new growth.

This past Sunday I washed and deep conditioned my hair. Been nursing my edges and moisturizing my hair. Especially my ends, I usually moisturize my ends but I don't add enough oils or butter to the ends of it. Which I really don't do enough of. I think that's part of the reason as to why my ends get very tangled and stuck together when its time to take down the twists.

I know by next week, I would need to redo some of my braids.

Have you ever tried baggying your ends only? It helps so much with moisture retention! I like to bun and then baggy them overnight. Just coat my hair with oil (no water) and then bun and put a baggie over the bun. I'm sure it would work with a ponytail too.

Lute

Have you ever tried baggying your ends only? It helps so much with moisture retention! I like to bun and then baggy them overnight. Just coat my hair with oil (no water) and then bun and put a baggie over the bun. I'm sure it would work with a ponytail too.
I heard of the method but never attempted it. I will try it tonight and definitely do more research on it. Hopefully it will help me keep my ends in better condition.

Lissa0821

One thing I love about mini twists, different products can create different looks, I used Taliah Waajid curl cream and the twists plump up nicely after a few days with a little shrinkage. When I use grease, its immediate plumbness and fullness from day one, no shrinkage. When I use gel, for me my hair looks like sister locs.

Tealhope

One thing I love about mini twists, different products can create different looks, I used Taliah Waajid curl cream and the twists plump up nicely after a few days with a little shrinkage. When I use grease, its immediate plumbness and fullness from day one, no shrinkage. When I use gel, for me my hair looks like sister locs.
I started using gel last July and I’m kicking myself for not using it earlier ! I use the Via Natural braiding gel LOVE the sleek look of the twists! The gel has a strong hold and I can get about 4 weeks of no frizz with no problem.
My only issue with using it….. It.. Just takes a bit more time, about an hour + more, and that can be rough on a small twist install. My last set I applied every other row which gave it a fuller but still sleek look. It’s definitely still worth it though!

snoop

I'm currently wearing small braids. I was thinking about keeping them at this size for the summer then switching to minis for the fall.