The miracle hair regime, and the source is -- MEN?!!

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Is it just me, or do men's hair actually seem healthier than most women's hair? They don't do any of the processing, yet they have the biggest afros and the fastest growing hair. They use generic hair products, yet they are at the barber's every week.

All of our best advice on this board characterizes the male hair 'routine'. Low manipulation, no heat, go with what works. No matter how many supplements we take or how many products we sample, we don't seem to get the health and length that black men do, when you see a man with long hair.

Women relax their hair for beauty and length; men do it to be trendy, and it keeps growing and looking Vidal Sassoon good! Women go natural and do low manip, but the hair just doesn't look as big, well-combed, and manageable as the hair of some 14 year-old boy with an afro and a black power comb stuck in the back of his head. He doesn't use natural products or miracle products, all he uses is blue magic.

Should we be taking advice from our men?

ubavka123

Interesting thought, but as I read it, I wondered, is this just another case where they are naturally blessed? For example, it has been proven that men lose weight faster than women, all things being equal. They are not doing anything special in that case besides being male. That being said, I have seen many a man with some jacked up, processed hair, natural hair, what have you. But I have seen the big, beautiful fros and wondered what is their secret. I am thinking, just being male... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Nanyanika

A lot of men keep their hair trimmed which could explan the reason why they don't get splits often. Don't men also have faster metabolisms? this could be a key in faster growing hair (just a thought, i'm no expert i probably am incorrect in saying so. Overall they don't do near as much chemical processing and frequent heat usage as we women do.

bellydancer

i wonder that too. I am natural, but my hair is not as thick on the ends as my brother's is. All he does is keep his hair cornrowed and grease it. I can't use grease (don't like all that goop on my scalp).

cutebajangirl

I truly beleive that hairdressers treat men's hair better than they do women. I use to go to a hairdresser that had no qualms about ripping through my hair. Imagine my surprise when I saw take the time to comb out from tip to root a man's shoulder length4a/4b natural.

Shawnee66

I just did my ex's hair and I am always amazed by it. He won't let anyone else do his hair so when I'm not speaking to him his hair doesn't get done. I haven't done it since August and the roots were so matted I thought he would be bald when I was finished but believe it or not he lost the average amount of hair (that might be because of the un-braid spray). I blow dried it with wild grow and IC leave-in mositurizer and he was even amazed at how soft it felt. It also grew about 2 1/2 inches since the beginning of August. I think it has something to do with testosterone. If he was a woman he would have been bald headed by now.

OT... thanks kitchen_tician for the wild grow oil and IC leave-in moisturizer info from your hairtine!!!!

hotshot

personally, im sick of seeing every 14 yr old boy with flyer hair than me. It might just be their genes. In nature, the male of every species is supposed to be more easily attractive/healthy looking to attract the female. Thats why male lions have manes, male birds have brighter colors, and male reptiles have more patterns.

this might be cultural, but male humnas are more likely to be considered sexually attractive at older ages than females.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Wow, testosterone makes for better hair? Don't say that -- we'll all run out and get testosterone injections. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
I truly beleive that hairdressers treat men's hair better than they do women. I use to go to a hairdresser that had no qualms about ripping through my hair. Imagine my surprise when I saw take the time to comb out from tip to root a man's shoulder length4a/4b natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

CBG, that hair dresser in your post really makes me wanna /images/graemlins/swearing.gif /images/graemlins/angry2.gif Being entirely self-sufficient -braids, chems, trims, you name it - is looking better and better to me.

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
I just did my ex's hair and I am always amazed by it. He won't let anyone else do his hair so when I'm not speaking to him his hair doesn't get done. I haven't done it since August and the roots were so matted I thought he would be bald when I was finished but believe it or not he lost the average amount of hair (that might be because of the un-braid spray). I blow dried it with wild grow and IC leave-in mositurizer and he was even amazed at how soft it felt. It also grew about 2 1/2 inches since the beginning of August. I think it has something to do with testosterone. If he was a woman he would have been bald headed by now.

OT... thanks kitchen_tician for the wild grow oil and IC leave-in moisturizer info from your hairtine!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Welcome Shawnee66 /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

I'm glad to see it's working well for you.

gn1g

Men don't have a monthly cycle in which they loose valuable "life sustaining" minerals and vitamins. At least that's my logic.

Nessa

I know thank you, like every boy has more hair than me, and they keep it braided and greased. That's all they do, Imma ask ma boy H.R. how his hair grew. I hope it doesn't sound weird.....

Ayeshia

interesting theories ladies /images/graemlins/smile.gif i have no complaints...me and this guy at home i know got our hair cut off at about the same time...and so far we are neck and neck. his is slightly longer in the front though. but he hasnt cut his hair at all while ive cut almost 2.5 inches since my BC.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i get them an my hair is not thicker than b4 i started getting them then there is the acne hot flashes and mood swings. btw i fave female problems i'm not prepping myself for a sex change /images/graemlins/dork.gif

brittanynic16

I have no complaints either. My hair is growing well and always has. I just think the reason why so many guys have nice hair is because they are not worried about it 24-7 like women. If we left our hair alone too we would see the same benefits.

InsertCleverNameHere

I don't agree at all that there is something inside guys that makes their hair grow faster. In fact, I think that there hair grows slower and/or has a shorter growth cycle.

We should keep in mind that very few of us only cornrow our hair every few weeks and that is it. We are more likely to relax or use lots of heat. And despite the fact that many men have a minimalist approach to hair, I very rarely see a man with hair past collarbone length. Every now and then, but not often. Most of the braided guys I see have shoulder length hair if they have been growing it for awhile. While I was in school, my hair outgrew every single braided guy at my school. Me and my bf had the same length hair for a minute while he was braided. My hair shot past his, while his stayed at shoulder length. His roommate had long thick hair a couple inches past collarbone length. Mine eventually passed his too.

If anything, I believe men with super long hair, or even just long hair are the exception, not the norm. I guess I'm just not super impressed that men can easily grow their hair to shoulder length or a little longer. I thought most people could.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
It's not just the length, it's the appearance of health and manageability.

I think one key reason men have more ideal hair is because they visit the barbershop routinely. What is done to their hair is non-abrasive manicuring.

Perhaps we should stop trying to "tame" and "manage" our hair, and it will grow into the fantasy hair we want it to?

TigerLily

I know what you're saying, Honey Vibe. My cousins can whack their hair off to an inch and they'll have at least 12-14inch 'fro in 3-4mo.!! They don't do crap, but keep it braided. No grease, no barbers!!! Let me do that and I will be bald! I hate 'em, lol!!!

I really do think (disclaimer: and this is what I think, lol) that men have healthier and longer hair generally than women do. There's not a man that I don't know or haven't seen whose lashes and nails aren't longer than mine! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

EbonyEyes

[ QUOTE ]
I know what you're saying, Honey Vibe. My cousins can whack their hair off to an inch and they'll have at least 12-14inch 'fro in 3-4mo.!! They don't do crap, but keep it braided. No grease, no barbers!!! Let me do that and I will be bald! I hate 'em, lol!!!

I really do think (disclaimer: and this is what I think, lol) that men have healthier and longer hair generally than women do. There's not a man that I don't know or haven't seen whose lashes and nails aren't longer than mine! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

12-14 inch fro in 3-4 months! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif For some guys, that's not far from the truth.

I have to agree with you on the nails and lashes thing. I had mentioned this before. My nails are weak and grow slowly. I have to put nail hardener on my nails. My boyfriend will cut his nails and a week (yes, a week) later they are long and crazy crazy strong. And my boyfriend has the most beautiful eyelashes I have ever seen. They are long and ***perfectly*** seperated.
But I think my hair growth rate is a little faster.

My boyfriend said that he would give me his nail genes if he could because he hates cutting his nails so often. But he refuses to give me the lashes genes! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regarding the testosterone thing...I know many women want their hair to grow but getting testosterone injections is taking it a tad (just a tad /images/graemlins/wink.gif) bit too far.

-Ebony

skegeesmb

It seems as if men don't have the pressure to "do something" with their hair. They are allowed to have their fros kinda wild, and fuzzy hairlines whereas if we did the same thing, A man, or some family member will say: Girl when are you going to do something with that.

ladylibra_30

well, if it is a miracle that men's hair grow longer & stronger then what is it when they get bald spots? they better enjoy it while it lasts...LOL