The Newly Nappy Guide 2008 + Beyond - Share Your Tips.

eunique

Greetings!

I want to formulate a "Newly Nappy Guide" for ladies who are newly natural or simply want to get great tips. So, if you all would be so kind, share three tips (or more) that helped you when you started. Also if you would like to share pictures and your regimen that would be greatly appreciated - you will be credited. I want to make the topic (which will be in a different post) as detailed as possible featuring advice on building a regimen, tutorials, and yummy hair recipes!

JustKiya

1) Treat your hair brand new - expect it to react differently than it used to, and learn from those reactions, rather than fighting them.

2) Moisture is a must. More than you expect.

3) Be proud of your uniqueness. No longer will you be able to neatly fit into someone else's 'style' (because there aren't that many natural style icons), and instead you will start to create your own. Celebrate and enjoy that!

natstar

1) Find a good moisturizer and sealer.

2)DC is a must @ least 2x monthly

3) When you get bored w/ a style, don't be afraid to try something new-with that said- the lower the daily manipulation (esp for fine kinky naturals) the better

4) Perfect a style technique that you can fall back on if you have to go somewhere formal or go to the club etc..
_____

ETA- ITA with Kiya---> instead of trying to fight your hair-work with it and it will be a lot easier. It's still hard for me to do this but it's easier when I just roll w/it.

For example-in the summer when I'm working out and it's humid it's hard for me to keep a style cause my hair gets super frizzy w/a quickness. So I decided to wear twists-and my hair looks better as time goes by. So instead of trying to slick it down daily (which I just learned that it's hard for my hair to appear slick)- I just stick with a style that works for me.

Last edited:

MrsJersey

I'm still brand new to being natural. (BC'd last Saturday :grin:) But what I learned so far is that moisture is key. I never had to baggy b/f, but now If I'm not doing an overnight DC then I'm baggying. It seems to be the only way for my hair to retain moisture. Secondly, I think that you have to experiment. The same products that worked for my relaxed hair are a no no for my natural hair. Also become a fotiki stalker. Find your hair twin and see what works for them. Good Luck