The pros and cons of texturizing

shebababy

I'm a natural, been natural for about 2.5 years. In the beginning I was very uncomfortable with my hair; i didnt know what to do with it, it was dry, I kept cutting it every few weeks, overused the heat, etc.. But now I know how to handle it, its in great condition, moisturized, i know how to style it, etc; but I'm getting kind of antsy... kind of desiring a change and I'm not quite sure what type of change I want. Anyway thats my backstory. So to any naturals who went the texturized route, what are the pros and cons?

model_chick717

Pros:

-Wash-n-wear hair
-Still maintaining most of your texture
-Going from straight to curly and vice versa with more ease than if you were natural.
-Having the option to be straight or curly
-Curls!--need I say more?

Cons:

-Since hair is still close to natural texture, you still have to be careful when combing/detangling...

-The slight unknowing when you retouch--meaning always hoping you don't overlap too much

shebababy

Thanks for responding Model Chick; i think wash and wear hair is the biggest draw for me, only thing that kind of worries me is that I have various textures on my head, I wonder how obvious they would be if I texturized. Beautiful hair btw.

Antrunette: the thought of having dry hair scares me, lol. Thanks for your reply

HOTCHOCOLATE

Ladies, when you go for a retouch do the salon still apply all over the head? I ask because my mother told me recently that every time she goes(6 months) thats how the salon apply it. And I've noticed that the top part of her hair is straighter.

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
HOTCHOCOLATE said:
Ladies, when you go for a retouch do the salon still apply all over the head? I ask because my mother told me recently that every time she goes(6 months) thats how the salon apply it. And I've noticed that the top part of her hair is straighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not suppose to. You should only retouch the newgrowth--unless they are correcting an area that was underprocessed.

skegeesmb

I agree with MC on almost everything.

I really agree that your hair stays straighter longer and it's less or a workout to get it straight.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
Pros:

-Wash-n-wear hair
-Going from straight to curly and vice versa with more ease than if you were natural.

Cons:

-Since hair is still close to natural texture, you still have to be careful when combing/detangling...

-The slight unknowing when you retouch--meaning always hoping you don't overlap too much

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question... so, when you are natural..you don't have wash-n-wear hair?? Only if you have a texturizer? I'm asking because I'm transitioning and I thought I'd be able to wash-n-go once my relaxed ends are cut off..

Bunny77

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
Pros:

-Wash-n-wear hair

Cons:

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question... so, when you are natural..you don't have wash-n-wear hair?? Only if you have a texturizer? I'm asking because I'm transitioning and I thought I'd be able to wash-n-go once my relaxed ends are cut off..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm natural and I consider my hair wash and wear. I'm sure if I had a texturizer, it would be easier to straighten, but since I don't really straighten all that often, it's not a big deal for me.

But yep, every day I conditioner wash and go, for the most part.

Note to everyone -- I'm just speaking for myself, of course, because I don't know about the state of every person's hair, but I'm just saying that it is possible for me to wash-and-go without a texturizer.

itismehmmkay

I think some textures can do the wash-n-go easier than others. Personally, after my twa started growing out, the wash-n-wear got too complicated for me.

zoya_j

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! this is the main thing i have issues with. Right now, I would say I'm a little underprocessed in some parts, but not really sweating it, because I'd rather be underprocessed than overprocessed.

ricochet

IMO, natural hair is wash n wear, however, my natural hair would be a tangled mess if I rinse and go every day. I think length determines this...when my hair was twa length to about 6-8 inches...wash/rinse and go was not a problem...I didn't have to worry about lots of tangles on comb day. I hardly ever had to use a comb then, my fingers did alot of the detangling. Now that my hair is over 12 inches long(root to tip,layered), washing and going is still an option, but after about a week, my spirals and curls (even though the curl definition is bangin!) are tangled up something terrible. This is why I stick with my twists and combouts.

I have bra strap length natural hair(when straightened). I am growing my hair long, so wash and goes are just not an option for ME. If I want to keep my length, I have to stick with styles that don't require lots of manipulation. It(wash n go) may be for others whose texture is different, doesn't tangle as much as mine, shorter than mine, etc...but washing and going at this length just gives me drama after about a week.

If or when I cut my hair, washing/rinsing and going will probably be my staple.
Tangles are a non-issue when my natural hair is short.

model_chick717

Pleasure's all mine.

By the way, didn't mean to imply that natural hair isn't "wash-n-wear" of course that's not the case and one of the properties of natural hair that texturized hair maintains over relaxed....