Theatrical Pastors whyyyy?

firecracker

I don't understand why some AA pastors choose to be so theatrical. What is up with the fake voice with the long Jeeeeeesuuuus / saaaaaid / faaaaaatheer, some throaty sounds and singsong voice?

I can never get to the message because of all the acting, moving around and emphasis on whateva they call that speech tone.

I just turned on TVone there was this show called Positive Power. The church was St. Peters Church. I don't know where they were located. The Pastor made my head hurt from all that drama in the pulpit.

I think this style is why the comedians mimic Pastors so much.

Don't get me wrong I am theatrical and silly but I just don't think this is appropriate. It makes me think of Reverend Ike and a Madear play.

I like TD Jakes preaching style as his speaking style isn't that different IRL and he is usually putting emphasis in appropriate places. This is effective speaking not acting.

Do any of you ladies actually like this style of preaching? Do any of you ladies that are married to Pastors/Minister husband preach in this way? What is the reasoning for putting on an act in the pulpit?

dlewis

I don't like this style of preaching either. I prefer someone talk where I can understand them.

At my husband's old church, we were there one Sunday evening, I could not understand a word the Pastor was saying so I ask DH and he said he's preaching about Jesus. I could understand that part because all he kept saying was "aaannnndddd Jjjjessssuuussss".

Some people love that style of preaching though, I wonder if they get anything out of service.:confused:

1god1

Pastors/Preachers/Evangelists..etc...have different ways of delivering the message. If they got up and just talked, emphasized, etc..some saints would be bored..he/she could be described as dry..and this can effect a church service. Sometmes I think they preach like their mentors..some want to get the congregation excited...I don't mind it..I am used to it.

alexstin

firecracker said:
I don't understand why some AA pastors choose to be so theatrical. What is up with the fake voice with the long Jeeeeeesuuuus / saaaaaid / faaaaaatheer, some throaty sounds and singsong voice?

I can never get to the message because of all the acting, moving around and emphasis on whateva they call that speech tone.

I just turned on TVone there was this show called Positive Power. The church was St. Peters Church. I don't know where they were located. The Pastor made my head hurt from all that drama in the pulpit.

Don't get me wrong I am theatrical and silly but I just don't think this is appropriate. It makes me think of Reverend Ike and a Madear play.

I like TD Jakes preaching style as his speaking style isn't that different IRL and he is usually putting emphasis in appropriate places. This is effective speaking not acting.

Do any of you ladies actually like this style of preaching? Do any of you ladies that are married to Pastors/Minister husband preach in this way? What is the reasoning for putting on an act in the pulpit?

No, I don't care for it. DH is a pastor and does not preach this way. Honestly, I believe alot of the things in church we see/hear are based on what was taught either directly or indirectly. So if you grew up in a church where the preacher delivered the word in that manner you may do the same. I say may because I grew up in that sort of setting as did DH, and we realize that's just a part of the "culture" in some churches. We have chosen to birth a ministry that's not based on a lot of the traditions of "the black church".

pretty_nappy_hair

1god1 said:
Pastors/Preachers/Evangelists..etc...have different ways of delivering the message. If they got up and just talked, emphasized, etc..some saints would be bored..he/she could be described as dry..and this can effect a church service. Sometmes I think they preach like their mentors..some want to get the congregation excited...I don't mind it..I am used to it.

I agree. I think for me it's spirit-filled. It gets and keeps everyone fired up. I've experienced different preachers at different churches and if I don't like the style or can't get the message I won't go back. There are plenty of styles that cater to different tastes.

deltagyrl

Just a thought but maybe the "theatrics" are a tactic to draw attention from the fact that the "sermon" isn't biblically based....:eek:

pebbles

delta_gyrl said:
Just a thought but maybe the "theatrics" are a tactic to draw attention from the fact that the "sermon" isn't biblically based....:eek:

No, that's not it, because even in the middle of all the yelling and shouting, you can still get the message, and if it's not right or of sound doctrine, there's no amount of theatrics that can cover that up. :)

deltagyrl

pebbles said:
No, that's not it, because even in the middle of all the yelling and shouting, you can still get the message, and if it's not right or of sound doctrine, there's no amount of theatrics that can cover that up. :)

I respectfully disagree. I've listened to countless ministers (won't mention the region) do this. Heck, I grew up in one that didn't have a bit of Jesus in the pulpit, choir stand, usher board, etc, etc........
I've been in services and watched pastors who sensed that the congregation was getting bored que the organist and started doing the sing-songy theatrical thing to pull everyone back in (sigh).

I personally prefer teaching as opposed to all the other stuff but that's just me. I've been scarred but trust and believe that I know HIM.

PaperClip

1god1 said:

My story as well... although animation (theatrics) does not equal anointing, the opposite of this doesn't equal anointing, either.

I grew up (from the womb) in the Pentecostal/Charismatic church and I'm used to the animated preaching. It is dependent on the individual.... so a pastor/preacher whose personality is not necessarily outgoing or animated or enthusiastic probably shouldn't preach that way because it isn't inherent in him or her.

Bottom line, everybody preaching in the pulpit ain't called to preach, regardless of their preaching demeanor.

firecracker

I think this mornings view on TV reminded me of when I visited a large mega church in L.A county. I had heard so much about the Pastor but after ten minutes of him speaking I was literally scared, stiff and praying for a fast exit. I was basically scared in the church.:(

I tried to see past all the organ da da da, theatrics, whoopin and hollering etc but it was way too much going on in the pulpit and in the audience. The man could barely get a word out before folk was jumpin out their seats.:(

Thanks for the responses ladies. I guess I can understand some of the reasoning that you guys shared ie: training, familiarity, boredom, varied styles etc.

I personally like a exciting thought provoking sermon, food for thought, words to live by and get thru the week, life, moment or whatever. I do realize there are different delivery styles that appeal to different people.

I guess if I knew or interacted with that person speaking then I wouldn't be so turned off or insulted by the delivery of choice.

I was a member of my old church for two years but never truly felt comfortable and my soul was lacking fulfillment. I finally realized why a few months ago but I did enjoy the Pastors sermons. I finally found the church that met my needs.

I chose my church because it felt like home after the very first visit. I guess the church appealed to me because it reminded me of the church I was raised in. :) My Pastor and the congregation are unpretentious, welcoming and just plain simple good ole southern style folk.

I agreed with their mission statement "Saving Souls And Changing Lives".
I also love the fact that my Pastor is young, personable and in touch with todays issues.

Now if he starts getting theatrical I would walk right up to him and say "yeah you what are you trippin on Mr Man dont make me cutcha"!:lachen:

I don't ever want to be scared in church again! So I will never visit the House of Refuge 6pm service again. I was told by a member I need to come at 6am with the ole folk.:lol:

PaperClip

Firecracker, I'm glaf you've found a place that meets your spiritual (and natural) needs. I think people don't take the choice of church affiliation seriously.... so church membership (or lack of church membership) is based on ONE visit, which is unrealistic. It's like dating (or moreso courtship, if you will).... One should just let anybody court them, and at the same time, we shouldn't just become "spiritual gypsies", jumping from church to church when things don't go our way.

Seek the LORD and I am a witness that He will lead, guide, and direct anyone to the right church, if they truly want to be led.

star

firecracker said:

It is an emotional expression of how God's word has gotten into there soul Jermiah says in the Bible, "it is like fire shout in my bones and it won't leave me alone". It is like love making you feel it in your soul and different expressions and sounds evolve.:grin:

*Happily Me*

firecracker, i grew up in the baptist church and kingdom hall. long story...

i've been to many churches where the preacher was all about threatrics. this, i believe, was one of the first reasons i walked away from Christianity. i thought it was a joke. i'm not trying to offend anyone who likes this style of preaching. i am only sharing my experience and what i thought as a child/young adult.

i don't understand it either. but i do believe that if someone is getting the message then hey, who am i to judge and God bless 'em! :)

firecracker

star said:
It is an emotional expression of how God's word has gotten into there soul Jermiah says in the Bible, "it is like fire shout in my bones and it won't leave me alone". It is like love making you feel it in your soul and different expressions and sounds evolve.:grin:

Naw what I saw early this morning on tv wasn't even about no fire. It was Showtime in the Apollo.
I am sure his delivery style was appealing to his congregation though and there is nothing wrong with that. It just wasn't for me so I ran out the room til T D Jakes came on.
He scared me thru the tv and I had flashbacks of Rev Ike.

pebbles

delta_gyrl said:
I respectfully disagree. I've listened to countless ministers (won't mention the region) do this. Heck, I grew up in one that didn't have a bit of Jesus in the pulpit, choir stand, usher board, etc, etc........
I've been in services and watched pastors who sensed that the congregation was getting bored que the organist and started doing the sing-songy theatrical thing to pull everyone back in (sigh).

I personally prefer teaching as opposed to all the other stuff but that's just me. I've been scarred but trust and believe that I know HIM.

The bolded part of your post, I agree with. I see this done all the time. I have never seen fake doctrine preached through yelling and screaming where the congregation didn't see that the word of God wasn't being taught, but I'm certainly not disputing it doesn't exist. I was saying that the yelling and screaming can't cover up that what is being said is false teaching. I can assure you, no matter where I go and how much screaming is being done, I'm listening to what is being said, and if it's not right, the Holy Spirit operating in me will send out warning signals. Everyone cannot be fooled by these tactics. :)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Fire, this applies also to some of those who sing. They have to s-t-r-e-t-c-h, and groan, and yell every note and it's not effective, it like clashing cymbols...just plain noise. You'd think it was American Idol try-outs or Wump wump, at the Apollo.

Please just sing the song and leave all of the phoney extras out of it. Not everyone can be a 'Winan' or Yolanda Adams, who are excellent examples of emotion well placed; it's real, it's not over played.

There are preachers who can preach and teach, and the emotion comes in just at the right time...and that's when you know it's real.

Some animate because it is a learned tradition and I've seen this in both black and white churches. There are many black and white preachers who over-animate the message. They yell, holler and spit and are not saying anything, that I can personally understand. But there are many people who are blessed and it keeps them.

I've been exposed to many styles of preaching and it seems that God just calls those of many styles to gather the sheep with a voice that will hear.

Still, there has to be a balance. You can't live on preaching alone, for it feeds hype to one part of the soul and spirit, and you cannot live on teaching alone, for there are times when our souls and spirits need to be jump started.

So much diversity just to make us one...:lol:

Last edited:

pebbles

firecracker said:
Naw what I saw early this morning on tv wasn't even about no fire. It was Showtime in the Apollo.
I am sure his delivery style was appealing to his congregation though and there is nothing wrong with that. It just wasn't for me so I ran out the room til T D Jakes came on.
He scared me thru the tv and I had flashbacks of Rev Ike.

I'm in agreement with you. Personally, I don't like all the yelling and screaming because it can be so distracting, and sometimes it starts off right, but turns into a circus. I think that if the message is getting lost in all the yelling, the pastors should take note and be very careful not to lose the point of the word being brought forth. I think another poster just mentioned that she left Christianity all together because of all the uncontrolled screaming, and that's not how it should be. Thank God there is always a church you can go to where the word is preached in a manner you can feel comfortable with.

I love T D Jakes. He can shout, but with him, I can hear what he's saying, and he's always emphasizing a point. Now, TD Jakes' background is both baptist and pentacostal, so you know at the end of his sermons, there's going to be some shouting. :lol:

pebbles

Shimmie said:
This applies also to some of those who sing. They have to s-t-r-e-t-c-h, and groan, and yell every note and it's not effective, it like clashing cymbols...just plain noise. You'd think it was American Idol try-outs or Wump wump, at the Apollo.

Please just sing the song and leave all of the phoney extras out of it. Not everyone can be a 'Winan' or Yolanda Adams, who are excellent examples of emotion well placed; it's real, it's not over played.

There are preachers who can preach and teach, and the emotion comes in just at the right time...and that's when you know it's real.

Some animate because it is a learned tradition and I've seen this in both black and white churches. There a many black and white preachers who over-animate the message. They yell, holler and spit and are not saying anything, that I can personally understand. But there are many who are blessed and it keeps them.

I've been exposed to many styles of preaching and it seems that God just calls those of many styles to gather the sheep with a voice that will hear.

Still, there has to be a balance. You can't live on preaching alone, for it feeds hype to one part of the soul and spirit, and you cannot live on teaching alone, for there are times when our souls and spirits need to be jump started.

So much diversity just to make us one...:lol:

High five, Shimmie! Especially with the singing! I wish some people could get that point! Just sing, don't try to be somebody else whom you clearly cannot immitate! :lol:

Sweet C

For me, it really depends. Where I am from we call it "whooping". Now if you are going over the top and I can't understand a word you are saying, then I have major issues with you. However, if you have a particular style of ministering, then that is something totally different.

For example, Juanita Bynum and Noel Jones would probably fall into the "whoopers" category, but when they do minister, God is edified and the people can hear the Word of God.

Shimmie

Staff member
pebbles said:
High five, Shimmie! Especially with the singing! I wish some people could get that point! Just sing, don't try to be somebody else whom you clearly cannot immitate! :lol:

Pebs, we won't even go there...:lol: I try so hard to be non-judging and see past the noise and hear the message of the song. Drives me to drinking "holy water.' :look: My spakling Perrier.

Sweet C said:
For me, it really depends. Where I am from we call it "whooping". Now if you are going over the top and I can't understand a word you are saying, then I have major issues with you. However, if you have a particular style of ministering, then that is something totally different.

For example, Juanita Bynum and Noel Jones would probably fall into the "whoopers" category, but when they do minister, God is edified and the people can hear the Word of God.

Sweet C...I love to hear Noel Jones and Juuanita Bynum. Now 'whooping' is annointing...:yep: This is my perception of teaching and preaching in excellent balance. For they both start off, ministering by teaching the word, and then all 'whoop' breaks loose.

Okay....Shimmie settles down from the memory of an annointed 'whoop'... :lol:

Honey6928215

Eventhough my pastor is not theatrical I glad to say the he does get his point across even when he's 'hollering.' I have been to churches where the pastor was running all over the place trying to keep the mike at his lips but you can't hear what he's saying because the congregation is whooping and hollering. Boy the memories.........

firecracker

I love T D Jakes. He can shout, but with him, I can hear what he's saying, and he's always emphasizing a point. Now, TD Jakes' background is both baptist and pentacostal, so you know at the end of his sermons, there's going to be some shouting. :lol:

Exactly. I was raised in a Baptist church also. In High School I joined a AME church. My new church is Baptist so we get your shouting, running marathon style and marching on.:lol:

I agree with you Shimmie about the singers also. I wanna sang like Tramaine and Yolanda too. I guess I will stick to pretending in the shower. :look:

The only reason I posted about what happened this morning is because I couldn't believe I was scared again during a sermon. :ohwell:

I thought that House of Refuge/Noel Jones incident was a one time thing :( I had seen him on tape but not in person. I am sure when that happened it was due to my choice of worship service. I was told he structures his three services/sermons to a certain demographics/audience. I'm a lil ole skool so the 6 and 9 am services would probably work better for my pysche.

Plus I think my Granny Madear traumatized me when I was a lil girl. She got the holy ghost one time when I was about 6 or 7. Her wig flew off and her flappin arms slapped me so chile I move outta the way whenever someone gets the holy ghost.:lachen:

When I visited that 6 oclock service there was a woman sitting next to me bucking, jumpin up b4 he could say boo and I think the organ "da da da" after every word or breathe Bishop said really did a number on me. I really was praying frevently for God to release these feelings and give me the gift of disernment at that very moment. I was lucky to get out there alive. :grin: I can laugh now but when I got to my mothers I was hysterical.

pebbles

Sweet C said:

Exactly. The point is for God to be exalted and for the people of God to hear the Word. It's not for false doctrine and false teaching to be spread around. Shame on pastors and ministers who use the pulpit for that ungodly agenda. :look:

Shimmie

Staff member
pebbles said:

Pebs, I forgot to say hi to you...Hi Sweetie pie. :kiss:

Okay, back on topic... :lol:

pebbles

Shimmie said:
Pebs, we won't even go there...:lol: I try so hard to be non-judging and see past the noise and hear the message of the song. Drives me to drinking "holy water.' :look: My spakling Perrier.

Sweet C...I love to hear Noel Jones and Juuanita Bynum. Now 'whooping' is annointing...:yep: This is my perception of teaching and preaching in excellent balance. For they both start off, ministering by teaching the word, and then all 'whoop' breaks loose.

Okay....Shimmie settles down from the memory of an annointed 'whoop'... :lol:

Yeah, girl! I've sat under many an annointed "whooping" and been really blessed. :lol:

pebbles

Honey6928215 said:
Eventhough my pastor is not theatrical I glad to say the he does get his point across even when he's 'hollering.' I have been to churches where the pastor was running all over the place trying to keep the mike at his lips but you can't hear what he's saying because the congregation is whooping and hollering. Boy the memories.........

LOL!! What a sight that must have been. I've seen this a few times too. :lol:

pebbles

firecracker said:

Exactly. I was raised in a Baptist church also. In High School I joined a AME church. My new church is Baptist so we get your shouting, running marathon style and marching on.:lol:

I agree with you Shimmie about the singers also. I wanna sang like Tramaine and Yolanda too. I guess I will stick to pretending in the shower. :look:

The only reason I posted about what happened this morning is because I couldn't believe I was scared again during a sermon. :ohwell:

I thought that House of Refuge/Noel Jones incident was a one time thing :( I had seen him on tape but not in person. I am sure when that happened it was due to my choice of worship service. I was told he structures his three services/sermons to a certain demographics/audience. I'm a lil ole skool so the 6 and 9 am services would probably work better for my pysche.

Plus I think my Granny Madear traumatized me when I was a lil girl. She got the holy ghost one time when I was about 6 or 7. Her wig flew off and her flappin arms slapped me so chile I move outta the way whenever someone gets the holy ghost.:lachen:

When I visited that 6 oclock service there was a woman sitting next to me bucking, jumpin up b4 he could say boo and I think the organ "da da da" after every word or breathe Bishop said really did a number on me. I really was praying frevently for God to release these feelings and give me the gift of disernment at that very moment. I was lucky to get out there alive. :grin: I can laugh now but when I got to my mothers I was hysterical.

LOL!!! :lachen:

Honey6928215

That reminds me when I was a little girl I hated to go to this particular church because I know the women will start shouting and carrying on. I hated so much I start crying. I didn't understand until I got older but boy I try every excuse not to go.:lol:

Last edited:

firecracker

:eek: :eek: See ya'll know about House of Refuge/Noel Jones.:lachen: Whooping sho was going down but I guess I needed a seat in the overflow room and away from the whoopers!:lachen:

My mom is still talking about how I came away from that visit. She thought it was funny but I truly didn't cuz my heart was racing, I was stiff, couldn't move my arms or legs and down right scared. :eek:

I like Juanita Bynum also. I told my friend I know Bishop Jones has a message to give but I surely couldn't get it cuz dat woman in the red jersey dress next to me had me on red alert waiting to shield my face and body from another holy ghost assault. :lachen: