Thicker Fuller Hair Challenge 2013

Napp

Ms. Nobody
EnExitStageLeft

Yeah After a while if i can't wear my hair out It seems pointless to me because most protective styles tend to give me setbacks retention wise. I hope I can retain the thickness. My NG is a beast. I think I have to reduce the wash days to every 2 weeks as well.

I can't wait to be 100 natural again. My hair is only breaking at the line of demarcation and I cant stop it.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
bunnie82 you may not have a problem if you redo the bun like every 2-3 days. My hair likes to lock up in the bun once it dried(even when i braid or twist the ends or the inside.) and i end up getting crazy of breakage because of this.

bunnie82

you guys i'm sad!

i did a henna treatment and it loosened my curls! WTF!!! I was a 3c/4a now i'm more like a 3b/3c maybe even a 2c/3b I dunno!!! uggghhhh it's super loose and what's worse, it make my hair look even thinner.. :cry:

I really hope this is temporary!!!!

Jewell

you guys i'm sad!

i did a henna treatment and it loosened my curls! WTF!!! I was a 3c/4a now i'm more like a 3b/3c maybe even a 2c/3b I dunno!!! uggghhhh it's super loose and what's worse, it make my hair look even thinner.. :cry:

I really hope this is temporary!!!!

Sorry to hear you dont like the results. Not to be smart, but it is written ALLOVER lhcf and the internet that henna loosens curl pattern. I think I even wrote about it taking me from 3c/4 a to 3b/3c in a thread you started, and Im not even natural...but it did that to my ng. Ppl who dont want loosening of their natural curl pattern SHOULD NOT USE HENNA, whether they are looking for strengthening properties or not.

I used it one time and it loosened my curls, but that's ok with me. However, the results may be long lasting, so I cant speak to how temporary it is. This is mainly a warning and fyi to those ready to henna but dont want to loosen their texture. Cassia is a better choice to avoid loosening curl. Hth!

bunnie82

jewel I've always used henna...and I've never experienced loosening like this...

Also, everyone on lhcf does not experience loosening with henna....some yes, but not all....I've used henna for 2 months straight and no loosening....I got lazy and didn't use is for 3 weeks, I used it today..and now my hair is looser...

cassia doesn't do much for my hair....that' why I henna....

Jewell

jewel I've always used henna...and I've never experienced loosening like this...

Also, everyone on lhcf does not experience loosening with henna....some yes, but not all....I've used henna for 2 months straight and no loosening....I got lazy and didn't use is for 3 weeks, I used it today..and now my hair is looser...

cassia doesn't do much for my hair....that' why I henna....

Yeah, that is definitely true that it doesnt loosen curl in everyone, but to me it's like using a relaxer in theory...some ppl might get overprocessed, some might not, but alas the risk of it happening is still there. Just me erring on the side of caution, but it is also true that the effects of henna tend to be cumulative...it builds up over time...so whereas it might not do much on the first application, subsequent applications can often yield different results. Of course that sucks for those taking the dive with henna for the first time...you really dont know if it will have the loosening effect or not the first time or the 10th time. Cassia is NOT as good as henna and is no where near as potent a conditioner/strengthener for the hair, but it's an option for those who want something similar, I guess.

Personally, I have never used cassia but have used a henna-based hair dye for over 8 yrs straight...and eventhough it is not pure henna and indigo, I still experienced loosening of my curl pattern each and everytime I used it, even while natural. The effect was even more significant using pure henna and indigo (to get black hair).

EnExitStageLeft thanks, yeah I wouldnt use it unless youre ok loosing some texture. Like I said, it may not happen to everyone, but the risk is still there.

Last edited:

Wenbev

bunnie82 please try an amla treatment. It will bring the curls back. Also, if you are using henna for color think about doing a roots only full henna and a gloss for the rest of the hair. :)

Trixie58

Hi fam, Jewell and EnExitStageLeft, my weave is installed. I've had it in since Thursday and I can now report.

I tried to do as I was told as best I could--

1) got a trim before the installation (she took about 1.5 inches off, I didnt really pay too much attention but that's what she said and what it looked like). She basically just trimmed off the thin ends. She didn't cut down to the shortest breakage of course since I have a few really short pieces, but after the trim it did look a lot healthier.
2) she installed vertical braids and I told her I was tender headed so she didn't braid too tight. She even warned me that I'd probably have to come back in a couple weeks to have it tightened, which is fine with me.
3) the only thing i failed on was the chelating shampoo. she washed me before the install but she used mizani products. As i read on LHCF i probably should have had her put some more moisturizer into my hair before the install, but hopefully i can moisturize my braids enough to suffice.
4) i had my nape braided and only my front edges and a little of my crown left out where there is no breakage at this point.

EnExitStageLeft, my CON shampoo has arrived from amazon but i am still waiting on the other products. i cannot use the bee mine though because i have a sulfur allergy, but i have ordered the others and hopefully they'll arrive for wash day.

i moisturized and sealed my braids friday night with my current stash--UBH satin creme moisturizer followed by Jane Carter Nourish and Shine. Last night i moisturized with a mix of infusium 23+ water in a squirt bottle, and sealed with JBCO from a color applicator bottle. when my juices & berries arrives i will start moisturizing with that.

last night i washed and dc'd my leaveout. I used Kerastase Oleo Relax and Emergencia conditioner followed by Chi Keratin Mist leave in and Paul Mitchell The Conditioner leave in. Put a little Nourish and Shine on it this morning. I did notice tonight tho that my weave was a little oily. Not too bad, but I think the castor oil I put on last night can't help but morph into the weave a little bit. So I washed just the front section of the weave with Trader Joe's sulfate free shampoo.

I have also started taking Viviscal Extra Strength hair vitamins and drinking more water. Hopefully all of this will restore my hair.

EnExitStageLeft, does mama ever experience any matting from moisturizing and sealing every day? I was thinking of going every other day. I hear differing views across LHCF about how often to moisturize.

xoxo

EnExitStageLeft

Trixie58

She isn't a heavy shedder like myself so no she doesn't experience matting. Then again the products she moisturizes with are extremely light. She I guess this can play a role in it.

Also, it sounds like you install went marvelously. You did an excellent job advising and convo'ing with the stylist :). If I were you I wouldn't worry about moisture. You moisturizing everyday to every other day she be more then enough:).

I also have a hard time with sulfur (no sulfur allergies though). You can use regular ole' JBCO. It was my staple scalp oil for yearssssssss. I now use Hairtrigger Hair Growth Elixir, but I still JBCO from time to time.

Trixie58

Trixie58

She isn't a heavy shedder like myself so no she doesn't experience matting. Then again the products she moisturizes with are extremely light. She I guess this can play a role in it.

Also, it sounds like you install went marvelously. You did an excellent job advising and convo'ing with the stylist :). If I were you I wouldn't worry about moisture. You moisturizing everyday to every other day she be more then enough:).

I also have a hard time with sulfur (no sulfur allergies though). You can use regular ole' JBCO. It was my staple scalp oil for yearssssssss. I now use Hairtrigger Hair Growth Elixir, but I still JBCO from time to time.[/QU)

Hey EnExitStageLeft--thank you so much. Ill use juices and berries or my infusium 23 plus water mix, along with JBCO, coconut oil, or olive oil every other day.

Trixie58

EnExitStageLeft and Jewell, I think the last braid by my neck is too tight. Heading to the salon tomorrow to get it loosened. I think it shouldn't still feel tight at this point right? The install was last Thursday. Plus I could be delusional but I think there are a couple bumps there. Anyway, do you think I could have done irrevocable damage having the braid too tight for 5 or 6 days? The rest of my hair feels fine it's just the one by my neck.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
trixe58 did you get it loosened? I'm not sure if you could get damage in one sitting. I remember getting braids a few years ago that were too tight in the back and I took them out after a week and I don't remember looking any hair from that. I think you will be ok.

Trixie58

@trixe58 did you get it loosened? I'm not sure if you could get damage in one sitting. I remember getting braids a few years ago that were too tight in the back and I took them out after a week and I don't remember looking any hair from that. I think you will be ok.

Napp, I went to the salon today and she inspected them and said that they didn't look/feel too tight, the problem was that I have been putting my sew-in hair up in ponytails, and that has been pulling just the specific areas that feel tight (at the lowest point of the conrows closest to my ears). I think she may be right. We looked at those areas when my hair was lifted into a pony tail, and those specific areas were pulled taught. That could be why my hair feels tight only in those places (I've been pulling it up at night).

So I'm going to stop wearing pony tails, wash it, and report back to her on Tuesday. If it still feels tight we may have to remove it, but girl I hope not. The problem is she can't "loosen" it without taking out the whole thing :nono:. She did my hair with vertical braids so it is more complicated than just resewing one track. We shall see but I am a lot less worried after the pony tail experiment. As I've been wearing it down today I don't feel it pulling anymore.

BTW I like your haircut, it looks very thick and healthy.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Trixe i would wait 3-4 weeks to pull it up again. It may just be too fresh.

And thanks for the compliment!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm thinking of adding a womens multi vitamin. I usually try to watch what I eat but I think i could use a boost right about now. The one im looking at also has collagen so that would help too! When ever I buy or make jello I take a portion and the rest ends up missing!

Trixie58

Napp, Jewell, and EnExitStageLeft,

well things have gotten interesting. i washed my hair last night and the sew in literally came aloose, like several of my braids in the back were out. i actually think it was my fault, i probably tugged too hard to get the weave hair detangled. anyway, i had to go to the salon today to have it repaired, but as i expected, the weave was so unsewn in places that they just went ahead and took it out. they did not seem interested in giving me any discount to reinstall it, but upsettingly i was planning to reinstall it anyway because i considered it my fault that it got destroyed. ...however, i think the heavens may have orchestrated all of this. As I looked at my hair after she washed it, it seemed thinner. you know, the post-weave thinness? i have only experienced this once with weaves in the past, but thankfully in that instance as well, the weave was only left in for a week or so. I guess the point is, if i had left my sew-in for 2 months as planned, IMHO my hair would have been destroyed. maybe long, but thinned out. at this point, there are still a lot of short pieces (can you believe they didn't grow out in 5 days!? :drunk:), but I think if I had left the install in, 2 months later it would have been still thin just longer and i would have had no real progress to better hair health. I don't know if it's the way it was sewn or maybe that my hair was not in great shape before the weave in, but clearly i am going to have to just nurse my hair back to health without a sew-in.

so im now sitting here after a DC (the Nunaat Karite EnExitStageLeft recommended), letting my hair air dry so I can reasses if the 1.5 inch trim she gave me before the install was enough to go from here, or do i need more cut. i was thinking of going above the shoulder in the "Karlie" that talking about now, so the short pieces throughout my hair, and my nape breakage will not make my hair look as thin. but that's a big decision. my hair right now is still below my shoulders and i can grab it with my fingers from the back, which is always my gauge. so i have to carefully decide if i want to chop it that much or do i want to just grow in the breakage without the chop.

But no relaxer. i am 7 weeks post and holding out as long as i can.

Just an update. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. xoxo

EnExitStageLeft

Trixie58
Sew ins are always a hit or miss. Most ladies prefer lace wigs or 3/4th wigs now. My suggestion would be to refrain from sew ins, invest in a wig and have celie braids under them until your damage areas recover. This way you can remove the wig at night moisturize and seal in the braids (which is also a plus because you won't have to manipulate daily). Wash your hair weekly or bi-weekly and it is only then that you unbraid and detangle using a a good detangler since your a post wash detangler, I'm sure @jewel can suggest you a good one. She has a LOVELY stash :yep:.

The decision is purely yours, but I've seen ladies hair thrive with this regimen (including my mommies :lol:. I've even considered ordering or even making my own half wig and rocking it out this summer. We gon' see :yep:.

Trixie58

@EnExitStageLeft I will consider, my SO does not care for wigs and I have issues with fit/etc, but I will try to figure it out.

I also realized that the real reason my hair looks thinner is because my stylist added layers in when she trimmed me before the weave. That is the problem. I should have never gotten a trim from her. Typical. I have sharp layering in the back, I mean the layers are not short (the shortest one is right at my shoulder), but they are definitely there and will be annoying to grow out. My stylist said she was "evening my hair out," what she meant was layers. So that is why my hair feels like it is half the thickness of what is was before the weave.

I am just getting it cut. If anyone wants to see what the hair will look like, it's the Karlie, after Karlie Kloss the VS model that recently cut her hair. I'm going to get a shoulder length version, which is about where my shortest layer is, and about where my nape is at this point, so it's fine. I don't have the sanity to grow layers out in addition to the other problems, so I am just getting a chop like that. I'm 35 and I've had APL or longer hair most of my life, so it's time anyway. I'll just call it a new start and grow it out from there. I am also calling my stylist and asking her why she cut layers in when she wasn't asked to, but that is kind of useless at this point.

I'm kind of excited about my cut actually. But I guess I shoudnt be on Long Hair Care Forum right haha. Let me know what you all think. xoxo

Attachments

• HairBlue.JPG
    HairBlue.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 34
  • HairWhite.JPG
    HairWhite.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Trixie58

EnExitStageLeft, Napp, and Jewell, I know you have already deemed me insane but I changed my mind again. After reading the thread on thinness before relaxers, I am not going to cut my hair. I will just deal with the layers, I know they were necessary to deal with a lot of this breakage, and I had layers put in the last time my hair broke. I think the layers do contribute to thinness right now, but I think the fact that I'm 7 weeks post is also contributing. I just read a post about relaxer stretches reminding me not to trim until I relax. My hair is thick and luscious at the root so I'll see where I am after I get a relaxer. My plan is to hold out for 20 weeks. Until then I'll just do roller sets and do my haircare, vitamins, water, and exercise regimes. I honestly think the short pieces will be grown out in 3-6 months. Thanks to EnExitStageLeft I have a full arsenal of great products and I am able to stretch, and thanks to Jewell for not letting me get a relaxer.

Attachments

• HairWhite.JPG
    HairWhite.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 27

PinkPebbles

@EnExitStageLeft I will consider, my SO does not care for wigs and I have issues with fit/etc, but I will try to figure it out.

I also realized that the real reason my hair looks thinner is because my stylist added layers in when she trimmed me before the weave. That is the problem. I should have never gotten a trim from her. Typical. I have sharp layering in the back, I mean the layers are not short (the shortest one is right at my shoulder), but they are definitely there and will be annoying to grow out. My stylist said she was "evening my hair out," what she meant was layers. So that is why my hair feels like it is half the thickness of what is was before the weave.

I am just getting it cut. If anyone wants to see what the hair will look like, it's the Karlie, after Karlie Kloss the VS model that recently cut her hair. I'm going to get a shoulder length version, which is about where my shortest layer is, and about where my nape is at this point, so it's fine. I don't have the sanity to grow layers out in addition to the other problems, so I am just getting a chop like that. I'm 35 and I've had APL or longer hair most of my life, so it's time anyway. I'll just call it a new start and grow it out from there. I am also calling my stylist and asking her why she cut layers in when she wasn't asked to, but that is kind of useless at this point.

I'm kind of excited about my cut actually. But I guess I shoudnt be on Long Hair Care Forum right haha. Let me know what you all think. xoxo

Trixie58 I've been lurking in this thread and wanted to respond to your post.

You are absolutely right about layers making your hair appear thinner on fine strands. Most stylists think layers will thicken fine strands but I disagree. It's best to have a U shape at the hem of the hair for fine hair. You will have fullness, body, and swing. It is extremely difficult to find stylists who know how to care and cut fine hair; therefore, you have to go in the salon already knowing your hair type and telling the stylist what you want and need. You will have to bring a picture all the time of the cut and style for your hair type.

As far as growing out the layers you are going to have to get frequent trims (every touch-up). You don't want to cut the layers back in your hair but trim around the hem line to form your U shape. Please do not go to the Dominicans for this but find a stylist that specializes in cuts.

On the other hand, I feel your pain bc I've been there but you can get past this. Just remember for future reference the wrong cut and stylist will cause a serious set back. Know your hair and do what's best for your hair.

Trixie58

PinkPebbles, Napp, EnExitStageLeft, Jewell,

Well it appears the immediate back and forth, indecision, and going-crazy LHCF posts are over. I did go ahead and cut it, but not too short. I kept the appointment I had this morning for my haircut, thinking I would just go ahead and go, to get a consultation for how to wear my hair curly with the roller sets until it grows out. I went to a new stylist (part of the reason I have all these problems is that my old stylist left her salon, and I've been relying on Dominican blowouts). Well the new woman unfortunately didn't have the tools to set me on rollers (one of those shi-shi salons without head dryers), so she just blew me out :(. But even though I am 7 wks post, she did not use a lot of heat with the blow dryer, and my hair is still straight and soft, letting me know that I can definitely stretch another 2 months. We spoke about me possibly just going natural for good, but I am not sure about that yet.

Anyhoo, after it was straightened (I think close to how it would look relaxed), it was still pretty thin so I told her to go ahead and bring it up, at least to where my nape breakage ends so I could just focus on the breakage throughout the rest of my hair. After she did that I think it looks a lot better (see pic) and she said that I have now only 1 layer about an inch above the end, which i think is manageable PinkPebbles. I was worried that I had a ton of layers but I think one can grow out as my breakage grows out. I will just keep getting trims per PinkPebbles' instructions. She was AMAZING, and I feel pretty better about my journey going forward because I have a stylist I can trust and put me at ease that the breakage will grow out.

So THANK YOU all for listening to all of this and getting me through it. It has been traumatic and emotional, and with the weave, PRICEY, but the good news is that (1) maybe this is my chance to just go natural, (2) I found a very good hairstylist that I trust, (3) I have a lot of great new products thanks to Napp. We all know how important the latter is. My hair also doesn't look like a hysterical mess anymore with this cut, so I am just focused on filling in the broken areas using a no-heat regime and rod sets. Also Jewell and Napp, I can't thank you enough for talking me out of a relaxer. I would really be in trouble now if I had done that.

The white is before the cut, the tank is after.

xoxoxo

Attachments

• photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 47
  • HairWhite.JPG
    HairWhite.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 46

EnExitStageLeft

Trixie58

YAY YOU! I'm glad you got everything under control. You hair looks so shiny and healthy. I'm glad you found a stylist to help you through your issues. Also, going natural is a big decision. I went natural in college and it was definitely a wonderful experience. Everyone should experience natural hair at some point in their life :yep:.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm glad you have a fresh new start trixie! I really hope this new stylist knows what they are doing!

I am thinking of looking for one myself! I am getting hair lazy these days.

Trixie58

Napp, PinkPebbles, EnExitStageLeft, and Jewell, you will all laugh but I got a sew-in put back in. :drunk: This time I went to a different person obviously. But I realized that I was still spending too much time in the mirror manipulating it, despite my excitement about my great new stylist. Plus I do think the reason it felt thinner was because of the layers, which have now mostly been cut out, and I do want to wait another 2 months before I get a relaxer. So the sew-in is back to help me stretch and to keep me out of the mirror. I am obsessed with the breakage (as you can all see), and I easily spend hours looking at it. So I kind of have to put my hair away.

I washed it tonight for the first time, and i think it went okay. I used CON on the braids and the leave-out, and then Trader Joe Sulfate Free conditioner just on the leave-out. I didn't condition the braids because it's 2 in the morning, and the purpose of the wash was more to loosen up the braids. This guy did them tighter than the person before, and it actually took me a couple days after install before my braids felt comfortable. My nape and a few other parts still feel a bit tight and its been 1 wk, so I did a quick wash spending lots of time with water running over my braids. Afterwards I used my normal leave-in oils/conditioners on the leave-out hair, blow-dried my braids on low, blew the weave hair on medium/high, and threw a couple rollers in. I am probably going in next week to have him loosen up the nape braid a little bit, unless it gets looser on its own.

xo will post a before pic soon. My stylist took it before the install. I plan to take them out in late june.