Thin/Fine Support Thread

Artemis

Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. I guess I need to find another way to keep my ends moisturized... back to the drawing board...

Is simply applying moisturizer to your ends not enough to keep them moisturized? What product are you using? And how often?

IMHO if someone has to baggy to keep moisture in their hair, there's some other issue going on in the hair shaft (porosity, damage, etc) that they are just overlooking.

sunshinebeautiful

Do any fine-haired sistahs incorporate steam treatments in their reggies? I just bought myself a steamer, but I don't wanna overdo it with the moisture. I'm thinking maybe steam treat once per month and make sure to use a balanced conditioner on a weekly basis?

Marley4920

Is simply applying moisturizer to your ends not enough to keep them moisturized? What product are you using? And how often?

IMHO if someone has to baggy to keep moisture in their hair, there's some other issue going on in the hair shaft (porosity, damage, etc) that they are just overlooking.
You're right. I just found hair boards this year so my ends are very damaged from poor hair care practices. They are fine and strangly and do not retain moisture well. I find myself using a reconstructor at every wash. The baggy method was working well to keep moisture in the ends and also to counteract excessive drying from the reconstructors. I just spray my Jane Carter leave-in and put the plastic on overnight. I may not give it up all together but cut it down from every night to maybe 2-3 nights a week.

Marley4920

Do any fine-haired sistahs incorporate steam treatments in their reggies? I just bought myself a steamer, but I don't wanna overdo it with the moisture. I'm thinking maybe steam treat once per month and make sure to use a balanced conditioner on a weekly basis?
I wanna know this too. I just purchased the Pro Steamer from evasalons.com. $139 and free shipping. It should arrive this week. yay! I'm really think steam treatments will be the missing link in my goal to healthy hair (and also help with stretching). So how do you ladies use the steamer?

JDandBeyond

Do you think my regime has the appropriate balance?

(1) Wash (kenra moisturizing), condition (alternate nexxus and aphogee 2 min reconstruct), deep condition (ORS replenishing pak with heat 30 -60 mins), leave in (lacio lacio) and blow dry straight - once a week

(2) Beemine serum/wild growth oil mixture on scalp every other night

(3) Hawaiian Silky moisturize every night seal with coconut oil or castor oil/olive oil mix (sometimes I add elasta qp mango butter for my edges or all throughout)

I know nothing about which products have protein and which have moisture by looking at the ingredients, I just go by how my hair feels. Any suggestions? I think everything posted previously about the right balance of both makes sense, but I just want to make sure I am actually doing that. I think I may be a little short on protein?? HELP PLEASE!!

ravenmerlita

Question.... How many fine haired naturals do we have on this thread?

I am one and I am rethinking my need for protein. I haven't been using any, my hair is so soft... I would like for it to feel a little stronger.

I wanted to get some input from other fine haired naturals on the thread.

I use protein. I am not fully natural -- the last few inches of my hair are texturized. Protein treatments help all of my hair, the natural and texturized parts. My hair gets very soft. So soft that it will just stretch and stretch when wet and can't hold any kind of style or curl when dry. I also find that protein makes my hair seem thicker temporarily (lasts 2-3 washes).

I use DRC-28, Biolustre Pro, White Sands ER Fusion, Kerastase Vita-Ciment, and Crede MT Shampoo. Only the DRC-28 and Biolustre Pro are the heavy duty proteins that make your hair hard when applied. I'm really careful when I use these.

ayoung

Sounds good to me...but just keep doing what you are doing as far as listening to your hair and seeing what it likes and how it feels. Remember--you may have to tweek some things--but that's all a part of the journey :grin:

Do you think my regime has the appropriate balance?

(1) Wash (kenra moisturizing), condition (alternate nexxus and aphogee 2 min reconstruct), deep condition (ORS replenishing pak with heat 30 -60 mins), leave in (lacio lacio) and blow dry straight - once a week

(2) Beemine serum/wild growth oil mixture on scalp every other night

(3) Hawaiian Silky moisturize every night seal with coconut oil or castor oil/olive oil mix (sometimes I add elasta qp mango butter for my edges or all throughout)

I know nothing about which products have protein and which have moisture by looking at the ingredients, I just go by how my hair feels. Any suggestions? I think everything posted previously about the right balance of both makes sense, but I just want to make sure I am actually doing that. I think I may be a little short on protein?? HELP PLEASE!!

sunshinebeautiful

I wanna know this too. I just purchased the Pro Steamer from evasalons.com. $139 and free shipping. It should arrive this week. yay! I'm really think steam treatments will be the missing link in my goal to healthy hair (and also help with stretching). So how do you ladies use the steamer?

OK. I'm impatient. I'm about to assemble this baby and test it out myself. :look:

Aggie

Thanks for the link leejeans. I just went on the site anad already they are out of stock:nono:. Anyway, I think I'll keep checking it to see when it's is stock again. I prefer this roll-around steamer as opposed to the table top anyway and I can't beat the price either. Thanks again.

Marley4920

Thanks for the link leejeans. I just went on the site anad already they are out of stock:nono:. Anyway, I think I'll keep checking it to see when it's is stock again. I prefer this roll-around steamer as opposed to the table top anyway and I can't beat the price either. Thanks again.
Wow... That was quick! It was just in stock on Monday. I will keep an eye out for you Aggie and PM if I see it.

I loved the steam treatment. It was a struggle to put the darn thing together b/c it didn't come with clear instructions but the results were good. I did notice a difference from my regular deep conditioning with my Mastex heat cap. My new growth is much more manageable and my hair was very shinny and soft. I struggle with stretching my relaxers and I'm trying for 12 weeks this time (5 weeks to go) so I think steaming will make it easier. We'll see...

ETA: Happy New Year Everyone!

Aggie

Wow... That was quick! It was just in stock on Monday. I will keep an eye out for you Aggie and PM if I see it.

I loved the steam treatment. It was a struggle to put the darn thing together b/c it didn't come with clear instructions but the results were good. I did notice a difference from my regular deep conditioning with my Mastex heat cap. My new growth is much more manageable and my hair was very shinny and soft. I struggle with stretching my relaxers and I'm trying for 12 weeks this time (5 weeks to go) so I think steaming will make it easier. We'll see...

ETA: Happy New Year Everyone!

Thanks leejeans.

Amerie123

I just want to say that i fit in this category... and i actually figured it out before reading this, but this thread definitely verifies that what i thought about my hair was true. anyways, i say that to say, i am soo happy that i am learning about MY HAIR (not everyone else's hair), and therefore preventing future set backs. I am glad that i learned early in my hair journey that i need more protein than moisture. and that although i have thick hair, i have very fine strands which calls for special attention.

morehairplease

Ladies I just started reading this thread, on page 12, and wanted to ask which is better for thin/fine hair:creamy or spray moisturizers?

tia,
tishee

hair101

subscribing.. i've been "living" on this site since I joined trying to get good advice on how to care for my hair - and I am sooooooooo happy I've found this thread. For years, I've lived with "my hair is cotton tip soft" and couldn't figure out why??? Now after reading this thread and others, i realize that I need to find a protein/moisture balance (in addition to a regimen, leaving it the heck alone, etc.. - but i digress :)) anywho - thanks for the tips ladies..

cocomochaa

Ladies I just started reading this thread, on page 12, and wanted to ask which is better for thin/fine hair:creamy or spray moisturizers?

tia,
tishee

Personally my hair prefers spray moisturizers. It gets absorbs better and doesnt weigh my hair down. I found creamy moisturizers to also cause some breakage.

Aggie

tia,
tishee
For me I find that spray moisturizers are great until I am about 5 maybe 6 weeks post but after that, I need the creamy stuff. My hair needs change when I'm deep into my relaxer stretch:yep:.

LivingDol1

okay this is a great thread! i've read so much on this site but am never sure if the suggestions i read are right for my hair type.

my big concern in taking care of my fine relaxed hair is breakage! i have been wearing my hair relaxed for 3 months. i was blow drying at first but i'm trying to stick to roller sets this year. trying to not roll the rollers too tight and cut down on the amount of product i put in my hair.

this was my regimen last night:

ORS hair mayo (30 minute pre-poo under a cap. no heat)
shampoo: nexxus therrape
DC: nexxus humetress (45 min under cap, no heat)
Roller setting: paul mitchell's "the detangler" and a heat protectant by nexxus that i can't remember the name of... but i swear by it.
the next morning: ORS Olive Oil

the end result was nice curls and not as much breakage in the sink after i took out my rollers. i used jane carter's wrap n roll foam last week and i think that caused a lot of breakage for me. so i'll be chucking that product! i really liked the hair mayo pre-poo.

do any of you use megatek? i ordered a bottle after reading about so many great results. as someone with fine hair, how do you add it to your regimen?

Aggie

okay this is a great thread! i've read so much on this site but am never sure if the suggestions i read are right for my hair type.

my big concern in taking care of my fine relaxed hair is breakage! i have been wearing my hair relaxed for 3 months. i was blow drying at first but i'm trying to stick to roller sets this year. trying to not roll the rollers too tight and cut down on the amount of product i put in my hair.

Roller setting: paul mitchell's "the detangler" and a heat protectant by nexxus that i can't remember the name of... but i swear by it.

the end result was nice curls and not as much breakage in the sink after i took out my rollers. i used jane carter's wrap n roll foam last week and i think that caused a lot of breakage for me. so i'll be chucking that product! i really liked the hair mayo pre-poo.

do any of you use megatek? i ordered a bottle after reading about so many great results. as someone with fine hair, how do you add it to your regimen?[/quote]

Welcome fellow fine haired friend:grin:. I use MT and I use as it indicates on the bottle but sometimes as my 5 minute treatment, I would mix it in with another protein product like a mild reconstructor and follow with a very moisturizing deep conditioner for about 45 minutes:yep:. I try to incorporate it in my regimen a minimum of twice a week. When i get it more, it means that I pre-pooed with it overnight and washed out the following morning.

LivingDol1

do any of you use megatek? i ordered a bottle after reading about so many great results. as someone with fine hair, how do you add it to your regimen?[/quote]

Welcome fellow fine haired friend:grin:. I use MT and I use as it indicates on the bottle but sometimes as my 5 minute treatment, I would mix it in with another protein product like a mild reconstructor and follow with a very moisturizing deep conditioner for about 45 minutes:yep:. I try to incorporate it in my regimen a minimum of twice a week. When i get it more, it means that I pre-pooed with it overnight and washed out the following morning.

thanks for the response. :) did you see increased shedding with the megatek? taking garlic supplements just in case. i am worried about leaving it on over night. i will follow the instructions for now.

sunshinebeautiful

I use megatek too. Just apply to my scalp every day to every other day and wash out once per week. I've been using it for about 6 months now and the hair that has grown in since I've been using this regimen is a lot thicker and stronger. :yep:

Marley4920

-------
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishee

tia,
tishee
--------
I prefer spray moisturizers and I use it alot. But I do use a creme based one to lay down my edges when I'm stretching.

Marley4920

do any of you use megatek? i ordered a bottle after reading about so many great results. as someone with fine hair, how do you add it to your regimen?
I jumped on the MT bandwagon and I liked the progress and growth but I stopped because I felt I was just doing too much to my hair. I have since simplied by regimen and MT is just not a part of it anymore.
I found MT to be drying so if you use it make sure you keep up with your DC. I also found that it made my scalp sensitive... I was using it everyday and when I got my touchup my scalp burned for several days after the relaxer. I would discontinue, or reduce usage, at least a week before getting a perm.

blacklove0607

Hello Ladies,

Thanks for this terrific thread! My hair is fine/thin and I recently made the decision to transition from relaxed to natural. All the advice and suggestions being shared on this forum makes me know I can do this without experiencing the breakage hairstylist always caution about when you mention you're going to transition.

Thanks so much ladies.

Blacklove

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Hey, checking in, my hair is growing in much fuller, Thank You, God!

I can see it and feel it, literally, my buns are getting more difficult to put up with. There's more hair to restrain. lol!

anyway, i'm gonna make some major purchases, a professional salon dryer and a professional flat iron, i'm hpping to be able to style my hair myself and keep some of my hair in my head. you know stylists can be so rough, and i'm not trying to go to jail, y'all for stylist abuse. i got kids. (and a husband).

blacklove0607

I jumped on the MT bandwagon and I liked the progress and growth but I stopped because I felt I was just doing too much to my hair. I have since simplied by regimen and MT is just not a part of it anymore.
I found MT to be drying so if you use it make sure you keep up with your DC. I also found that it made my scalp sensitive... I was using it everyday and when I got my touchup my scalp burned for several days after the relaxer. I would discontinue, or reduce usage, at least a week before getting a perm.

What is MT?

angenoir

A fine-haired lady checking in. I am relaxed and wanted to ask if any other fine-haired ladies are using Phyto. I like it because it leaves my hair feeling strong but I have only used it once so far and was wondering if anyone has any idea about the long-term performance of this relaxer on fine hair. Would it cause breakage long term or does the hair keep feeling as strong?

Thanks!