Thin natural hair

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between fine strands and thin strands? I always thought they were the same.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between fine strands and thin strands? I always thought they were the same.

What you just said is true. What we are distinguishing is thin hair vs fine/thin strands. Thin hair is hair that has very few strands. Fine strands could be plentiful so that the hair isn't thin at all.

Thin hair that also has fine strands:

hair_loss1.jpg

Thick hair that has fine strands:

Q3+Fine+Hair.jpg

Since someone mentioned henna and curly nikki...here's a post from 2008. She really shows how well her hair has thickened up my using henna and that her hair isn't really thick either. Blast From the Past- My Pre-Henna Hair 2006-2007 | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

My experience has not been nearly this good though lol.

I see increase in length but can't really see the change in thickness that you see. To me it was thick to start with. Side by side comparisons might've helped because I honestly don't see any increase in fullness that wasn't already there.

I don't have thin hair but I have fine strands and my twists can look sparse. But I find if I do them small, they look less so. Also if I dunk them after doing them, they fatten and look fuller.
TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

Subsequent washes make them thicken even more:
Twistsoverlap-vi.jpg

Also, if you stagger them so that each row is shifted a bit to one side from the one below it so that each twist in the next row lines up with the parts between the twists in the previous row, and so on (as I tried to explain here), that helps them appear fuller.

ETA Another image that shows how thin twists give the illusion of fullness:
ookinglikelockbraidoutontwists-vi.jpg
lovely twists, Nonie....

what hair did you use to twist in...

(thanks) :)

lovely twists, Nonie....

what hair did you use to twist in...

(thanks) :)

Thanks.

:giggle: The one on my head. :lachen:

I don't have any added hair. Just my own hair, then in the last pic, I think I had cornrowed them hence the wave.

Thin haired here as well. When my hair is wet and still fairly curly it is nice and full. Since my gaur tangles easily I must twist or braid after I wash so I never wear it in a curly state. After it dries my curl pattern pretty much goes poof till next wash. I am then left with no volume to deal with. When I flat iron my pony tail is so thin. I am trying to increase volume by using jbco will see how it goes. My sister and mom are the very opposite they have very thick coarse hair that part skipped me.

Thin hair checking in. My hair has always been thin. I think mine is a combination of low density and thin strands. I do flat twists or cornrows and then rock a braid out
S1050034.jpg
S1050039.jpg

When it's straightend you can really see how thin my hair is. I've made my peace with my hair. I'm texlaxed by the way, but even natural my hair was still of the same density
S1050007.jpg

Last edited:
Back