thin see through ends

sweetgal

Is the only way to thicken hair to cut the ends off? Or is there another alternative. My hair is growing, but the ends are soo see through. Is there any product I can use to improve this or any technique I can implement.

Also I wear alot of braids (cornrows) can this negatively effect my ends? Please provide insight. Also does heanna thicken hair?

Last edited:

asubeauty

I had this problem when I was bunning every day, but I wasn't moisturizing my ends and my buns were a little tight. I cut my ends, but if you don't want to, I'm pretty sure some of the other ladies know of some more options.

Hair Iam

I believe braiding and weaving fragile hair always causes the hair to loose elasticity and become weaker. Dust ends & start fresh by applying castor oil regularly. This is just my two cents:look:

loveable37

BRAIDS will do a number on ur ends
spacing ur days out
try not too keep them in tooo long

but they will thin ur hair/ends out over long period of time.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
sweetgal said:
Also I wear alot of braids (cornrows) can this negatively effect my ends? Please provide insight. Also does heanna thicken hair?

Henna will help by coating the hair strand which will make it appear and feel thicker. Depending on how see through your ends are you might want to dust them and do it as your hair grows out more. I henna/indigo and also use cassia and amla treatments.

Hang in there! I have see-through ends too but it's not so bad that I need to cut them just yet. Waiting to obtain a little more length before I do it.

sexyaqr

The only thing that I know that works is cutting 'cause I had the same problem. And believe me I am not a fan of scissors. I have scissor-phobia. But then there may be something else the ladies can suggest

sassyhair

I had that problem and I got I a trim and I was soo soo happy, because my hair looked very healthy and I got to start over by treating them right. I put a weave in a lil later so it really didn't matter that I cut my hair, I was worried about it looking too short. I got used to my hair length.

KeraKrazy

Thickness before length
Are you using synthetic hair? I've heard that human hair is easier on your own hair and won't cause as much breakage to your ends.

KittenLongPaw

What I'm doing right now is maintaining my length, so basically, everytime it grows past a certain point, I trim it back up to the 'designated point.' So, instead of losing length, you can just keep it at the same length until you are satisfied with your ends. I've been doing this since January 1st, with the plan to start growing again on March 1st.

Another alternative is to trim off half of your growth. So say your hair grows half an inch a month. You could just trim off 1/4 inch every month so your ends would get thicker, but you could still see it getting longer.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
KittenLongPaw said:
What I'm doing right now is maintaining my length, so basically, everytime it grows past a certain point, I trim it back up to the 'designated point.' So, instead of losing length, you can just keep it at the same length until you are satisfied with your ends. I've been doing this since January 1st, with the plan to start growing again on March 1st.

Another alternative is to trim off half of your growth. So say your hair grows half an inch a month. You could just trim off 1/4 inch every month so your ends would get thicker, but you could still see it getting longer.

I've done that too. It works very well. :up:

Sweet,

It would also depend on how see-through your ends are. If they are just horrid and raggedy, well I think a trim would relieve you. But then there are ends that are just a bit see-through and you can trim gradually. Also, ends will look more and more see-through the longer you've gone without a relaxer. When the hair is freshly touched up, the hair will lay down again and the ends won't look so see-through.

Perfect ends is not a necessity unless that is just your preference. There are many women here that have nice looking ends that are thinner than the rest of the hair. The majority will not have ends as thick as all of the hair. I, for one, do not but I still think my ends look healthy.

sweetgal

Thanks for you imput ladies. I guess I should say that the entire back row of my hair seems see through :eek:. Very sad because it was just begining to grow and my nape just started growing back too.

I think i better lay off the braids because, the ends are really bad. :( Any more suggestions ladies. Please keep it comming

Keen

I would like to say that braids done and cared for correctly will not ruin your ends. Many ladies on this site has successfully use braids as protective styles so I don't think it is fair to say braids are bad for your hair altogether. The reason I do my own braids is because I know my hair will still be there when I take them down. I'm not so sure when I let other people do my braids.

sassyhair

Keen said:
I would like to say that braids done and cared for correctly will not ruin your ends. Many ladies on this site has successfully use braids as protective styles so I don't think it is fair to say braids are bad for your hair altogether. The reason I do my own braids is because I know my hair will still be there when I take them down. I'm not so sure when I let other people do my braids.

I totally agree. But everyone is different. I grew out my hair a whole lot with braids. I did not get relaxers while wearing them. I kept my hair in human hair braids and moisturized them regularly.

newflowers

I agree that one of the key things in wearing braids to grow out your hair is to keep them clean and moisturized.

I've had in braids since December - two weeks on, two or three days off - and my ends are looking good so far. My hair was in terrible shape when I first decided to use C&G, so I had to get a serious cut - not even trim - of the icky parts. Now, it's gorwing well and looks when when i take it down.

Trimming is not a bad thing - just be careful who does it for you; beware the SHS.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I'm having this problem right now with the right side of my hair and now I'm torn because braids give me the most length but could they be ruining my ends?! The left side is doing ok so I really don't know:perplexed.

Minty

Yes they definitely could be doing a number on your ends, especially if your braider is rolling and pinching/pulling the ends, and/or if you are not using quality hair for braiding.

Do you think one side is worse than the other? If you, you'd need to play detective.

I'd say do regular dustings to help.

Also try bagging the ends.