Thin, Thin, Thin Strands

Luvmycurl

My cousin/roomate always wears sew-ins but has thought
about wearing her natural hair. She hasn't had a relaxer in
about 5 years. The only problem is that her hair is super
thin, at the end of her hair its almost see thru.( if that
makes sense :ohwell:) Her roots are a little thicker but still thin.
What suggestions would you have for her wanting to wear
her natural hair? Should she just cut the thin hair and start over? I searched but couldn't find anything directly relating to her issue. Thanks in advance ladies!

PPGbubbles

Natural hair can be curled to mask thinning. Try curly styles first.

Braid and curls
roller sets
Twist and curls

cutting is not always the answer...

FroFab

She may also have naturally thin hair in which case cutting it and starting over may yield the same results. I'd trim visible damage, give the weaves a break, and take a few months to see what the density of it the hair coming in at the roots.

Luvmycurl

She may also have naturally thin hair in which case cutting it and starting over may yield the same results. I'd trim visible damage, give the weaves a break, and take a few months to see what the density of it the hair coming in at the roots.

Her hair became thin over the years from medication and other issues. Would you suggest the same styles as PPGbubbles did?

MzSwift

I have fine strands as well but my density kinda makes up for it, I have a lot of strands on my head. I tend to rock textured fros to give the appearance of thicker strands.

Here's a pic of my strands:

My siggy is my fro after banding. It's still a little textured so that helps to give the appearance of a fuller fro -- that and my density.

Nonie

OK, from the first post of this thread, OP said the ends are thinner than the base. That's wear and tear aka damage. She can mask it with curling it as suggested but I can tell her now that if she holds onto those thin ends her hair will not get better or grow the way it would if she got rid of the damaged hair.

OP, at the rist of putting everyone to sleep, I will tell you that just like clothes, furniture, you age with time, so does hair. It isn't this invisible rod that will just survive the elements and stay strong and perfect all its life. The longer it exists on earth, the more it wears away and therefore thins. It starts from the ends and travels down the length. A tear on the ends just rushes the process and tears happen at the ends all the time. So if she hasn't trimmed her hair for ages and doesn't dust regularly to get rid of the tears that are inevitable, then they travel up the strand and chip off. And that's how ends get thin. Thin ends are like a cylinder with part of its whole missing. So you keep them, they continue to rob your hair of moisture because they can't hold onto any since they are like an open dish. They stay dry and they break. And in a few years, the owner of that hair wonders how come she is always at SL.

So I'd get rid of the ends. And I'd make it a point to dust each time she gets her weave redone--say every 2 months. I don't know how she moisturizes her hair in the weave but dry hair cracks more easily that hair coated in moisture.

BklynHeart

She should get a good trim and start over. And stop with the weaves. My hair grew out long but thin wearing weaves as well. My hair couldn't take it. Her hair will thicken up over time.