Things I have learned about WEAVING

henrilou

I just thought I'd start a post about WEAVING and maybe y'all could jump in. I just weaved last week cuz I want to see if I could jump-start my hair. It's fine but I never see progress when it's out.

1. Get the sew in weave. period. Glue and Hair do not belong in the same sentence, unles you are a celeb and can have your hair monitored everyday.
2. When doing your rows, listen, strengthen them my either adding a teeny bit of fake braid hair into the rows OR sewing the rows (with out the weave tracks) this keeps them in place.
3. Sew your rows going ear-to -ear. NOT in a spiral or over your head (Like a head-band)because the hair doesn't hang realistically AND you will always be self-conscious about tracks showing.
4. If you don't wear your hair up, then get the kitchen 'rowed up too. It only gets nappy and if it's braided it's manageable and it'll grow.
well, I hope that helps somebody. I am a big fan of weaves because I really think it protects the hair while growing and you get to KEEP your length.

Hello Henrilou!

I have a question, I'm getting my hair weaved tomorrow, I would like to have my hair cornrowed in the front, and weaved in the back. My hair is natural and it is about shoulder length. Can you provide me with some tips on how to blend the hair so the tracks don't show in between the end of the cornrows and the start of the tracks. Also I bought some regular $2.29CAD Kanekalon hair, and a 12 inch Deluxe Deep Wave (human hair) if that helps to asses the situation.

Thanks in advance,

*this is a pic of the style*

jul00_2.jpg

I have seen my stylist do this (anyone in the L.A. area message me and I'll hook y'up) Any way, if it's not too late, for you to go to the vietnemese wig shop (most reasonable prices!) Get a track of hair that is in braids, you know? Sew THAT onto one of the cornrows in back and you'll NEVER see a track. and it'll blend well w/the front.

What type of hair would you recommend for someone looking for a straight look? I'm considering doing this but I'm concerned about real hair looking too "weavy"...

Any information would be appreciated....

Also, my best friend just got her weave done (corn rows with hair sewn in). she was told to use witch hazel on her scalp instead of washing her hair. What would you recommend? I love to wash my hair and that tends to be my downfall when maintaining a braided look....

Thank you so much for trying to help, but i don't exactly understand what you mean by </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Get a track of hair that is in braids, you know? Sew THAT onto one of the cornrows in back and you'll NEVER see a track. and it'll blend well w/the front.

[/ QUOTE ] How would the track not show /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks in advance for replying

OOps!! What I mean about the braids is: you know the hair you can buy now that is already braided into micro-braids, but it's on a weft (track, ready to sew in?) So instead of doing a million individual micro's you simply corn row your hair and sew the weft of braid onto it.

As far as washing the hair. I don't have much help for you, because I wash my weave about twice/month. Weave hair tangles really quickly and you could end up loosing ALOT of hair during the comb-out.

I usually buy the fake hair. I get straight. (meaning not the kind that curls or waves---that is very "weave-y" to me) I get 12 inche for the bottom rows and 14-16 for the top. Honestly, NO ONE, I mean NO ONE knows I have a weave. It looks just like my natural hair. I wish I could make some type of diagram, because I would tell you where the rows are and where my hair is out. But from a 'birds-eye' view,I have it parted down the middle with a bit on either side and the back (sort of a rectangle) left out to blend.

Henrilou --

I was wondering, how do you deal with the lumpiness? I wear weaves too, similar to what you're talking about with the part down the middle. I buy straight more, but I wear it wavy. I would like to wear it straight sometimes, but I am so self-conscious about it looking lumpy in the front on the sides right next to the part. Do you know what I mean?

Yes I DO know what you mean. Okay. My stylist graduates the rows. Meaning: I don't have 4 rows ending on each side of my head at exactly the same place. The top row: closest to the crown ends behind my ears, then the next a little closer and the third, even with my ears and so on down. That takes care of that thick-wiggy look.Also I don't leave my sies out (nappy) because the hair that I leave out on either side of the part hangs down to cover my sides. Now, The row on the crown that comes in contact with the hair that is "out" is a very thin corn row. The rows in back are a little thicker (I have alot of long hair that needs to be hidden) but they are covered by rows and rows of weave so they can be thicker. Does this help. I know it's hard to picture what I'm saying, but I'll keep trying, because good weaving should NOT be a secret.

okay, after your PM and post, you're getting me started up again!!! I'm trying to picture your explanation of the rows, but i'm at a loss /images/graemlins/confused.gif.. If you ever get a chance to post some pics of the rows i would /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif love it! How long do you generally leave your weaves in???

Thanks a lot Henrilou. I really appreciate it. I can picture what you are saying. I'm getting my weave redone this weekend, and I've always had that question. You're stylist must be the bomb with weaves. I don't leave my sides out either. I'm trying to keep as much of my growth as possible.

Here's another embarassing question though. The wind is a weave's worst enemy. Is this method wind proof (meaning will the braids on the side show), or do you have to duck for cover?

Thanks for being so gracious with your information.

OnlyChild: the wind is not your friend. That's all I can say. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Beana: What exactly is the part that you can't picture? I'll try again... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I may be slow this evening.. i'll try again when i'm more alert, maybe then i'll be able to picture it.. For now, I'm going back to my midterm paper...
I'll PM, u if i have any other difficulty

Amen henrilou all ya points 'xactly what i do. except ive done the 'spiral' cornrows and it was ok to me.
great post girl
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Henrilou:

Great post! I am getting my weave redone this weekend! Except my stylist cornrows my hair straight back places my tracks over the cornrows and covers the braids without cuting the weft and my hair lays flat. I think I might try your method too. THANKS!

Great advice. I have 2 packs of deep wave human hair by Sensationnel at home that I haven't even used yet. I can't wait! Is anyone familiar with the way that Africans sew in tracks. Of course they aren't the same, but do they have some general way of doing it? They are cheaper than regular hairdressers, and I bet the do the job 10 times better!

Also, with the synthetic hair, did you find it to be less versatile? Can you roll synthetic hair and get curls, etc.? Excuse my ignorance, but I just want to know for future reference. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Hi auntybe,

Does she place the weave track the same way as the cornrows...front to back? Or does she place it left to right, even though the cornrows are front to back? Is your front covered or do you leave some hair out to cover it? Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i dont think that u can roll the synthetic hair, thats y i get human hair so i can wear it crimped, curled or straight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aalize one way that the cornrows in the front can be blended is to get normal hair extensions that match yo natural hair colour and plait this into a quite thick braid , sew this @ the point that the cornrows end and the tracks are put in, it shudbe on top of the track and sewn in such a way that u cant see anything, jus cornrows, the braid and wavy hair

my stylist has a different weaving technique so i thought i'd share it with you all.
1. she leaves my edges out and a small portion of my hair in the front out for blending. she makes sure my hair blends in perfectly with the weave.
2. she will make one braid in a circle around my head right near the edges.
3. she uses a hairnet and places it on the top of my hair then attaches the net to the one braid by sewing it in.
4. then, she sews the tracks in from ear to ear into the net.
so, my hair is not completely braided accept for the one braid. my hair feels really flat with no lumps. it takes her an hour at the most to do this technique. i can oil my scalp through the hair net too. i'm really happy with it. i have it redone once a month. i could go longer between visits but it's nice to get a good shampoo and conditioning around that time.

Faith:

She places the tracks left to right. We don't leave any hair out. When I go back to have it tightened we just braid down any edges that may have frizzed out or gorwn longer.

Auntybe:

So how do you cover your front? Wouldn't the weave track be visible? Know what I mean, the weave is placed left to right but the track will show once you get to the very front because there's no hair there to cover the last weave track. I guess my question is how do you cover the very last weave track? I hope I didn't complicate this question. Thanks:)

Faith:
This is how my tracks are placed:

1. My stylist starts at the bottom of the cornrows (she braids or sews the ends together) last time I checked no apparent damage to my ends.
2. When she comes to the end of a row she folds the weft over and starts the next row (no weft is cut until we get to the end. I takes one pack of hair to do from the neck to the base of my crown area. At the end of the weft we sew the next weft to it and continue.
3. Then as the tracks lenght of the track gets smaller as the crwn is filled in my stylist turns the track to start a hidden part. Once the part is complete she cuts of the weft and tacks it gone (using extra tread to close up the little hole.

The styles I have worn:

1. Full/long and curly could not find the part because of the curls (wore for 3 months)
2. Full/long with side part bang covering the eye (like Aalyiah)(wore for 3 months
3. short bob with side bang pinned behind the ear (wore for 1 month-braided in cirular pattern did not last tracks puffed up to much.
4. **Current style** long straight razor cut with bangs. I can shake and look like Tina Turner with bra strap length or I can brush flat Iron and wear short bangs across forehead and the rest hangs down my back.

We came up with the idea when I told her what my hair goal was she got excited. She wanted me to see what I would look like with long hair again.

I am getting my hair weaved again before the end of March. I will let you know how my hair looked when take out the hair and how she puts it in.

I got my weave done last thursday. This was my first time getting a weave. Right now its a little frizzy, and i have not applied any weave spray or anything like that. Will combing/brushing it make it any worse? is beneficial? Please give some general weave care tips that might help a sis out.

Thanks in advance

auntybe sounds like she really knows what she is doin!! i am really curios tho at how the tracks dont show if u dont leave any hair out

Thought I would a share some pointers after a long break. I,too, wear weaves and I have grown out my hair a lot with them.

1. I do not recommend brushing a weave because it will shed. I always ended up seeing clumps of hair in my brushes after brushing it.
2. If you wash your hair, make sure you braid up the hair in four sections so the soap can cleanse your scalp. Make sure you are washing your hair about once per week. Anything less than that, and your hair can dry out and break off.
3.Spray the hair everyday and put a light natural oil on the weave hair so it doesn't dry out and tangle up. Spray your hair to keep your own hair moisturized.

here is my question . .
i'm a 4 a/b natural and i want a weave. can i get a straight weave without having to press any of my hair?

Back