Things to Know Before Going Natural

westNDNbeauty

ConfessionsofaBlogVixen.com said:
With many of us now making more conscious choices about our health, there has been an increase in the number of women ditching relaxers and letting their God-given mane become the spotlight. While many are making this decision with thorough research, some are a little short on time and therefore are not completely aware of the complete picture beyond the added flyness and big hair.

Before Going Natural You Should Know...

Good Hair dressers are a needle in a haystack.
If you thought being able to find a hair dresser when your hair was relaxed was a difficult task, you should know that it is even more difficult to come across a hair dresser who knows how to maneuver natural hair. This is especially true when you consider there are so many more textures of natural hair that one must be able to understand. He or she must also be versed in what products work best for what hair type. Check out ManeandChic.com's article on How to find a Stylist.

Figure out your hair type.
Hair products are usually geared towards a specific hair type. For example, someone with hair texture similar to Ananda Lewis would not garner the best results using products made for Jill Scott's hair texture (i.e. product - Alma & Heavy Cream). Once you know your hair type, you will be more knowledgeable in selecting products. A shortcut which helps to make things easier is to find a hair twin (someone who has a similar texture) and check out what products he or she may be using for each specific step in their routine. Although this does not mean everything one uses will work for the other, it will help to cut down on the trial and error. As a new or transitioning natural, you will experience enough of that on styling alone :). Check out NaturallyCurly.com to help figure your hair type.

To check out the complete article, Confessions of a Blog Vixen: Things to Know Before Going Natural

What other things can you think of to help someone considering going natural?

Last edited:

sillygirl82

Hmm, I definitely agree with finding your hair type so you don't buy a bunch of products that won't help you.

1. Realize that some people will not support your journey, so seek out helpful individuals. I think that is the biggest deterrent to women transitioning to natural. Find a good support system. I work with a lady that went natural and did a BC, but because she doesn't have a support system, she is flat-ironing her hair every morning just to have straight hair.

EllePixie

I disagree with hair type, ie curl pattern. I have used products that are suggested for someone who did not have my hair type, but we have the same texture (fine, med or coarse) and porosity. I feel those characteristics are much more beneficial in learning how to deal with our hair. Good article though, so please don't think I'm trying to criticize! I have one to add as well -

Go natural for you!! If you make the choice to go natural because of someone else or because you think it's the "in" thing to do, you may become overwhelmed.

GreenEyedJen

I would say explore ALL types of natural hair. I think too often women go natural with an idealized view of what their hair would look like, then get disappointed at the actual kinkiness of it. I myself thought I'd have a looser curl, but luckily I had been drooling over the type 4 naturals the whole time anyway.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
Elle Pixie said what I was thinking so nicely.

I have one- Resist the urge to obsess over other people's hair excessively. Put that effort in getting to know your hair and how it acts/reacts as it grows in.

Makenzie

Learn how to detangle. I've gotten to the point I wash and condition my hair before I go to get it done. To many sylists and their wash person don't comb wet hair properly or detangle it properly.

Last edited:

trackstar

I started transitioning before I knew relaxed hair could be long, thick, and healthy (I realized this as soon as I became a member here!). If I had known this, maybe I wouldn't have transitioned. However when I start something, I don't like quitting, so I'm going to keep transitioning until I BC and find out what my hair really looks like! After that.. maybe I'll texlax.

bride91501

1. Don't assume that the products/regimen that worked when you are relaxed are going to work with your natural hair.

2. Take some time to get to know your natural texture. Yes, protective styling by way of occasionally hiding your hair is a zgreat way to retain length; however, occasionally take some time to form a relationship with your hair. Find out what it likes, what it doesn't like.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
You have to find creative hairstyles which will work for you. Some hair stylist will clip you bald while going natural. Some seem to have a problem with two different hair textures. Thanks to my last so called trimming(haircut) stuck with a "BOBBED" due. :{

iri9109

please please please dont get caught up in comparing your hair to other ppls...no 2 curly heads are alike...dont get discouraged if your hair isnt how you thought it would or should be...get to know and love it for what it is and work with it and not against it...your hair will thank you, because in the end its gonna do what it wants anyways.

i was talking to my friend the other day and she hasnt had a relaxer in over a year but she constantly wears weaves, and she was like "im not going natural because my hair doesnt look like yours" ...all that matters is your hair looks like YOURS...i didnt think my hair would be the way it is...and i get kinda frustrated when i some styles dont work w/ my hair, but i dont dwell on it, i just do what works for my hair...if the only goal you have for going natural is a certain curl pattern/hair type, then you're going natural for the wrong reason, and you're most likely setting yourself up for dissapointment and failure.

after you BC:
your hair might be in shock, and might look/feel drier than normal, and your curls might not be as poppin as they can be...dont grab the relaxer...grab some deep conditioner...moisturize, moisturize, moisturize (dotn forget to seal it in) the 1st couple weeks/months after you BC and your hair will eventually adjust to the change and reach is full potential

dont obsess over length...a watched pot never boils...its ok to take pics to track progress, but a length check everyday (or even every week) is not gonna get you anywhere any faster.

dont be a PJ (i learned the hard way)...its ok to try diff products but if your buying everything on the market and using it all at once, how do you know whats working and whats not?

Mdmommy99

Know that you are going to have to love and accept your natural hair for what it is. When I first went natural I would see other styles and get really frustrated when I tried to get my hair to do the same thing and it wouldn't. Every natural head is different and you will save yourself a lot of frustration by letting your hair do what it wants instead of trying to make it look like someone else's.

I also disagree with the hair type thing. In any of the hair typing threads there are people that say they are 3c, 4a, 3b etc. that have hair that looks completely different from one another. For me I think the fact that I have very fine strands matters a lot more in terms of technique and products than my curl pattern does. I've been natural for 10 years, still haven't truly figured out my type and not knowing hasn't been an issue for me.

tamikachu =]

Have fun with your natural hair, don't feel the need to conform to a certain look. You don't have to keep it braided/ twisted all the time(This is what majority of my family told me while I was transitioning. Either keep it braided or loc up). Accessories are your friend!

lolascurls

Go natural for you!
Get excited about it and surround yourself with supportive friends....cause family take a while :lol:
Remember, it's your hair....get to know it in between all your protective styles!

Finally, experiment with products...you don't have to go broke though :lachen: Just give yourself one new product for a month to see how you like or loathe it! I'm still loving the detangler I used whilst texlaxed and it's still the best I've found....Organics liquid leave-in Hair Mayonnaise...still going strong!

Great tips, ladies!

Embrace cheapies!!! Your hair and wallet will thank you for it.

Do a mental transition as well. You will not have the same hair as someone else. You will hear negative things about your hair as well from misguided individuals as well. Keep the focus on the positives of having natural hair.

diadall

Some people will need to go through these things in order to learn.

I know you cannot listen to other people. When I first became natural I was browsing with a friend at the salon in a department store. The stylist saw me looking at a product. I told her that I was newly natural and wanted to try it. She said to me, "not every person that goes natural is going to look like this", and pointed a picture of a woman in a curly wig on the wall.

1. Don't talk about hair in front of those who just don't understand. When I first went natural there were some unsupportive people around. Now I see them side eying my hair in awe.

2. Don't be a product junkie but you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your right regimen.

3. Watch Youtube videos. I learned so much from ladies on Youtube about caring for my hair.

4. Have a natural hair mentor. I didn't but I wish I did. I think I am grooming myself to be someone else's natural hair mentor.

NicWhite

Learn to braid, twist, plait, or otherwise style your own hair. If you have to depend on other people to do your hair you can easily become frustrated.

Be happy about and love your hair!!! It is a beautiful extension of yourself. :yep:

Last edited:

LuvlyRain3

Remember that at the end of the day its just hair. It won't alway act the way you want it to or look the way you want it to but its just hair.

Your Cheeziness

Be prepared to spend time daily twisting or styling your hair to prevent matting while you sleep. I spend at least 30 minutes daily when my hair is not in kinky twists. That time will vary with how short your hair is.

LadyMacgyver

Research, Research, Research... Learn all their is to know b4 going natural so when you decide you won't be like a deer in headlights.. I say this because I know someone who is transitioning and I gave this one person some products to experiment with and I put it in another jar and wrote a note that is was Elasta QP Mango and Olive Moisturizer( I thought everybody heard of Elasta QP) well they put it on their hands thinking it was hand moisturizer and not hair moisturizer me not thinking to explain because all the products I gave her was for the hair and she also ask what the hair moisturizer was for again me thinking its self explanatory. Someone gave me something with the name I would have been on the web researching this product but then agan that is me and find what products work for you.

SimJam

Before going natural you should ensure that u r committed to being natural.

then nothing will be too much to deal with it ... wont matter so much

if ur friends, co-workers, family dont like ur new hair
if it takes a while to find what products work for you
that ur hair is short ... for the time being
that it takes for ever to detangle ... u'll find a way that works for u

basically Im saying, when there is a will, there's a way

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Prepare for mental battle - you'll probably hear negative comments/non-supporters, even family. I've found the ones most negative were the ones who REFUSE to go natural and I saw that as fear (of change? ~shrug~) -- Don't let any of that stuff get to you.

You'll gradually have to change your products..what worked for your relaxed hair may not agree w/your natural texture

You'll fall in love with your hair... I (and my DH) play with my hair all the time and it's like fluffy cotton... keeps me in love :love2: with my hair!

Approaching BC with no regrets is helpful; this experience is a confidence-booster.

It's a commitment you're making... you can always change your mind, but like a savings account, if you withdraw all your money, you have to start over...

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

Hmm, I definitely agree with finding your hair type so you don't buy a bunch of products that won't help you.

1. Realize that some people will not support your journey, so seek out helpful individuals. I think that is the biggest deterrent to women transitioning to natural. Find a good support system. I work with a lady that went natural and did a BC, but because she doesn't have a support system, she is flat-ironing her hair every morning just to have straight hair.

Ooo chile...that made my stomach hurt:nono:

I'm still transitioning (will be for about the next 10-11 months:yep:) but i believe it all starts with your self confidence and having a good backbone. I'm at that point in my life where i'm like.....this is mine and this is what i'm gonna do with it. So even if i didn't have a good support system i can be my own support system.

Really i don't have one except my sister and my dad IRL...my real support system is you all:yep: and the fact that i KNOW how to grow my hair and care for it already makes me sure fire about it.:yep:

This is a really nice thread though....thanx WestND!!:bighug:

ParagonTresses

1. Natural hair shrinks and natural hair frizzes (is that a word :scratchch). When you embrace these two truths instead of fighting them your hair, your wallet and your peace of mind will thank you.

2. Hold on the products that don't initially work for you. They may work great using it a different way and/or as your hair (and your knowledge of your hair) grows.

NaturalEnigma

When I went natural, I thought my hair would look exactly the same everyday. I used to think that because natural hair didn't move as freely as relaxed hair, it would be hard to mess up or change without physically moving it. Little did I know that my natural hair seems to look different everyday. Some days my hair will be very curly, other days I'll have a ridiculous amount of shrinkage and it'll look like I just BC, some days it will look like a frizzy HOT MESS, and finally some days it will look just right, not too much shrinkage, and little to no frizz. Don't let the bad hair days get you down, because everybody goes through them, whether you're relaxed or natural.

BEAUTYU2U

Don't get discouraged easily. Learning something new is always difficult in the beginning. Don't blame your hair texture, techniques, or products right away. Take time, a breath, and a step back to assess the situation.