Things to Know Before Going Natural

Triniwegian

Don't think your new growth while transitioning is what your hair will look like when natural.
Most likely it will be a lot tighter/coily/kinky.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
1) Allow yourself enough time to get to know your texture and to learn how to style it.

2) Buy samples first when trying out regimens. The PJs can drain your wallet.

3) Invest in good quality tools (combs, clips, mirrors, etc.)

MyAngelEyez~C~U

If you do your own Big Chop, DON"T OVER CHOP! err on the side of caution and get left over ends a few days later.

When I did mine, I kept seeing straight or loosely curled hair, so I kept trimming, not realizing that my hair was in shock and that some of those looser curls were really my natural texture. Now I have shorter hair in the front versus the back (I couldn't see the back of my head so I didn't cut as much).

orangepeel

Don't get discouraged easily. Learning something new is always difficult in the beginning. Don't blame your hair texture, techniques, or products right away. Take time, a breath, and a step back to assess the situation.
Yes to the above.

Also the first time you go out into the world with a natural style you did you're going to feel like everyone is looking at you. Don't let it get to you. People will stare. What you need to do is stare back.

Britt

Don't think your new growth while transitioning is what your hair will look like when natural.
Most likely it will be a lot tighter/coily/kinky.

Really? hair texture is such a funny thing. I've been looking at many of the naturals and people who have transitioned for like 6+ months and I find that the longer they are w/o a relaxer the less kinky their hair texture looks. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, or that after you bc your hair will be a 3c and up, but people's hair texture does change a bit after they've been chemical free for a while.
I relax and have always (before I even knew about hair boards) felt that relaxer seeps into your scalp and does eventually alter the natural texture of your hair that continues to grow out for a while hence the term 'scab hair'. Not saying this is the case for everyone. My gf had relaxed very fine 4b hair, and she's been natural now since March and still has natural fine 4b hair- then again, she still has a small twa so I have no idea what her hair would look like as it gains length. I find this the case w/ ppl who don't stretch their relaxer.

mzteaze

Really? hair texture is such a funny thing. I've been looking at many of the naturals and people who have transitioned for like 6+ months and I find that the longer they are w/o a relaxer the less kinky their hair texture looks. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, or that after you bc your hair will be a 3c and up, but people's hair texture does change a bit after they've been chemical free for a while.
I relax and have always (before I even knew about hair boards) felt that relaxer seeps into your scalp and does eventually alter the natural texture of your hair that continues to grow out for a while hence the term 'scab hair'. Not saying this is the case for everyone. My gf had relaxed very fine 4b hair, and she's been natural now since March and still has natural fine 4b hair- then again, she still has a small twa so I have no idea what her hair would look like as it gains length. I find this the case w/ ppl who don't stretch their relaxer.

I agree. My hair was a MESS for a long time after I let my relaxer grow out. Years of neglect and marginal care from a stylist (who I went to see religiously) took its toll. However, I have noticed that with care and the proper nourishment, my texture has slowly reverted. The 'thin' hair is now fine (there is a difference) but has a body that hasn't existed for many years.

Sianna

It has been said before, but I don't think it can be stressed enough: If you are going natural because you just want natural curls, maybe you need to reconsider your options. Not all natural hair has a distinctive curl pattern, and some does not have curls at all!! I have a patch of hair near the front of my head exactly like that! No curls, just an erratic wave pattern for each individual strand.

Not every head of natural hair will have a noticeable shine to it. However, many types of natural hair will hold a light sheen when the right products are used.

And a big lesson I had to learn, was this: Just because your hair is natural, that doesn't mean it will automatically retain length without you having to care for it! Yes it may be inherently stronger than your relaxed hair was but it's not made of steel! It must be moisturized, conditioned, sealed and protected frequently and regularly if you want to retain length.

Last edited:

LuvlyRain3

Do not jump on every bandwagon. You don't need to try every product or technique that another natural haas raved about. I always find product and tool reviews enticing because I am a pj a heart. But to be honest a rarely buy these things.

Before running to your local sallys our whipping ot your credit card to place an order there are plenty of factors that you should consider.
The condition of the posters hair ing the review. The texture of their hair. And how they use the tool/product in general. Everything does not work for everybody and it is better that you learn that now rather than waste $100 and some broken hair later.

Britt

I agree. My hair was a MESS for a long time after I let my relaxer grow out. Years of neglect and marginal care from a stylist (who I went to see religiously) took its toll. However, I have noticed that with care and the proper nourishment, my texture has slowly reverted. The 'thin' hair is now fine (there is a difference) but has a body that hasn't existed for many years.

I can imagine.. years of relaxing can really screw up the integrity of your hair. I'm relaxed so I'm being objective... there are plenty of healthy relaxed heads.. however, I def see the benefits of ppl stretching their relaxers and giving their scalps a breather from relaxing.
I an oil or something that can 'detox' the scalp so to speak? I think just constanoften wonder if there is t deep conditioning and more time away from the relaxer helps.

mzteaze

I can imagine.. years of relaxing can really screw up the integrity of your hair. I'm relaxed so I'm being objective... there are plenty of healthy relaxed heads.. however, I def see the benefits of ppl stretching their relaxers and giving their scalps a breather from relaxing.
I an oil or something that can 'detox' the scalp so to speak? I think just constanoften wonder if there is t deep conditioning and more time away from the relaxer helps.

For me, I think this is the reason castor oil (JBCO) has worked so well for me. Castor oil can be used in many different applications to improve health. For me, it has restored what was missing. There are no INSTANT fixes for any of the issues we experience. However, we can certainly improve things.