Thinking about going ahead with the BC this month...help!

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I was going to transition until the Fall or Winter 2005..but I'm hesitant about letting anyone other than my stylist do the BC for me. I'm moving out of state @ the beginning of December...and I was thinking about going ahead and let my stylist do it before I leave. I don't like myself with short hair though /images/graemlins/confused.gif...so I was thinking about just having 2 inches cut off of what I already have...and continuing my transition...and maybe fly back home in the Summer or Fall and have her do it. I like being able to just put my hair in a bun though...and I know I would have to wait until I get more new growth for that. I'm torn! Anyway on to my question...

Are there any naturals and/or transitioners that decided to go head with the BC..only to regret it later? Does anyone wish they had transitioned longer? Also to any transitioners reading this...what are your reasons for not going ahead with the BC? I don't want to do anything that I will regret later. I have about 5 inches of new growth...I wanted to chop when I had about ten...and I'm scuurrrred. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I transitioned for a year and a half (though I planned to transition longer) and I would not have done it if I did not have enough hair for a ponytail. I never really had short hair and I didn't want to leave myself without any styling options. I miss my long hair but while it's shorter, I am taking the time to "learn" MY hair and hopefully with the care, it will grow long and healthy.

So, my advice would be to wait until you have at least enough hair for a ponytail before doing any major cutting.

Yeah to have a decent lower bun It takes about 8-10 inches of new growth. Just have her cut off the 2-3 inches and work with that /images/graemlins/smile.gif I really didnt regret my BC only becauue what was done was done lol. Although I do admit, It felt weird becasue I was used to having a head full of hair, and then to go to a half inch....yeah I felt sick somedays but in the end I never regret it. /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif so I totally understand how you feel. But if you decide to chop, there are alot of things you could do with 5 inches of hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif Or you could even get braids for a few months after you do the chop if you arent comfortable. Its up to you. Good Luck!

I deeply regret doing the big chop!! If I had come to LHCF a week earlier I would have been saved. I didn't realize how much I could do with my transitioning hair, so I just cut it off!! I went from bra-strap to big chop! I regret it to this DAY!! I hate short hair, although my hair is really cute and the texture is nice. I just loved having long hair and now I have to go through the trouble of growing it out when I could have just transitioned longer! If you like long hair, I would not advise doing the big chop! It's just my 2 cents, but I hate it!!

[ QUOTE ]
naptrl said:
I deeply regret doing the big chop!! If I had come to LHCF a week earlier I would have been saved. I didn't realize how much I could do with my transitioning hair, so I just cut it off!! I went from bra-strap to big chop! I regret it to this DAY!! I hate short hair, although my hair is really cute and the texture is nice. I just loved having long hair and now I have to go through the trouble of growing it out when I could have just transitioned longer! If you like long hair, I would not advise doing the big chop! It's just my 2 cents, but I hate it!!

[/ QUOTE ]
If your hair grows the avg or faster the twa will be gone in no time. I'd give it abut 5 months. Half of my friends were saying that my hair wont grow back. And now a year later my hair has surpassed their length.I also found that the more postive feedback I received, the better I felt about my chop. Now I admit If my hair grew slower I would not have Big Chopped. I always looked at albums that have started from the BC and looked at their growth and compared it to mines. For example theres a woman who has a similar hair type and growth rate as I do. So I can estimate where my hair would be at month six, year 1, and year 1.5. Its kinda fun.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dont worry by the time you look up, your hair will be to your shoulders /images/graemlins/smile.gif Hang in there /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

I've been having the same dilemna! I will prolly be getting a haircut in the next week or so..and I keep thinking what to say if she asks me if I want to just cut off the relaxed ends.. I don't know what to do..she hasn't seen me since last Feb. so she has no idea what I'm doing(transitioning). I wear a baseball hat everyday so I suppose I could do the BC and it really wouldn't matter..BUT I have a baby shower to go to on Nov. 21st..so that it what is stopping me..and Thanksgiving is a week later.. but I'm really sick of my relaxed ends..but that's prolly because I need a haircut so badly. I have had short hair before..when I was in college..the back of my head was almost shaved.. it wasn't..but it was short enough that you couldn't curl it with even the skinniest curling iron.. and I had long hair in the front..It looked good! So I'm not afraid of short hair..but I don't care for twa though.. so I'm not sure what to do.. any suggestions?

I personally think you should wait.. don't get it done just because you are moving.. you can fly back there..like you said.. you'd prolly be better off doing that! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

What is important to know is that when you transition it is sometimes difficult to work with the two textures, one or the other (relaxed or natural) hair might suffer during this process, so BE CAREFUL. Sometimes holding onto extra length is NOT Benifical. When I was transitioning I was more focused on the health of my new growth more then anything else, I came to the conclusion that there was absolutely NO REASON for ME to hold on to the rest of the relaxed ends, ( mind you I had been getting trims throughout my transitioning process). Anyway after a little over 6 months I cut my hair off. It takes a mentle change to get used to seeing yourself with short natural/nappy hair, but TWA's are beautiful IMO. Anyway when I BCed I felt free and a little insecure-but I got over it by trying new styles and accepting myself. You'll be fine too no matter if you decide to BC or trim, just continue on your journey.

Oh yeah the TWA stage does not last long, so you gotta enjoy it while you can.

Thanks for all of your advice ladies! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I think that I'm going to have her cut off 3 or 4 inches @ the end of this month instead of the two...and continue with my transition. I always said that I wouldn't let my natural hair suffer by hanging on to these relaxed ends...but I'm not mentally prepared for the BC yet. I was chopping little by little...but I think it will be easier for me to deal with my hair with more of the relaxed ends gone.

[ QUOTE ]
Ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
naptrl said:

[/ QUOTE ]
If your hair grows the avg or faster the twa will be gone in no time. I'd give it abut 5 months. Half of my friends were saying that my hair wont grow back. And now a year later my hair has surpassed their length.I also found that the more postive feedback I received, the better I felt about my chop. Now I admit If my hair grew slower I would not have Big Chopped. I always looked at albums that have started from the BC and looked at their growth and compared it to mines. For example theres a woman who has a similar hair type and growth rate as I do. So I can estimate where my hair would be at month six, year 1, and year 1.5. Its kinda fun.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dont worry by the time you look up, your hair will be to your shoulders /images/graemlins/smile.gif Hang in there /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, Ayeshia!! My hair does grow really fast, but I just think about how long it was and it just kills me that I cut all that hair off!! I just did the official hair dresser big chop in August, but my hair has grown so much that when I got it pressed,people thought I had on a wig. I know it will grow back fast, I just want my BS length hair back like NOW!!! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

UPDATE! I went ahead and BC'ED. I just got tired of the breaking...and dealing with the two textures! I decided to just go ahead...and get it over with. I'm happy with my decision. Thanks for your advice and support! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

No pictures yet. I will be sure to get some up soon. Right now I am in the process of moving. Hopefully I will have some by the end of this month. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congrats! /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/weird.gif By this time next year, you will have more hair than you know what to do with. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures. I'm nearing that same point myself. I wouldn't be surprised if I chopped within the next 2 months.

Congrats girl..I chopped too.. WOW you chopped today.. how much did you chop off?? How many inches do you have..if any?

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
Congrats girl..I chopped too.. WOW you chopped today.. how much did you chop off?? How many inches do you have..if any?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks ladies /images/graemlins/kiss.gif Rush girl..Right now I have about 5.5 inches of natural hair. I had about 11 inches of relaxed hair on the floor when all was said and done /images/graemlins/smile.gif (thanks to all of the LHCF growth tips!) I'm trying to play and figure out what the heck to do with it. It's super thick...so no matter how I try to lay it down...it pops right back up. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Congrats to you too..I had no idea you chopped!?

your hair looks nice in that flat iron pic. i too like your natural texture of your hair.

I'm transitioning without the big chop only because I still want to have length to my hair. I understand why some may do the big chop so they won't be tempted to relax or it may be healthier to do so or other reasons, but I personally would not be able to deal with having short hair. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif I was even devastated when I cut my hair to about chin/neck length back in October of 2003. Just to be comfortable, I'm going to just continue transitioning until my natural hair reaches my shoulders unstretched. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Poohbear! I'm not even going to lie to you...having hair this short is really going to be a challenge for me. I started to see split ends on my natural texture...and that is one of the main reasons that I said...I'm finished! I wish you all the best in your transition! Try your best to stay away from heat. I wish I didn't flat iron back in October...but I was curious about how much length I had gained. After that ceramic flat ironing... I saw a dramatic increase in split ends! I regret doing it. Your regimen sounds really good...so I think you will be able to transition long term. If the breakage gets rough...don't hold on to those ends at the expense of your natural hair though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Here's to 6 inches in 2005! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Erica78 said:
Thanks Poohbear! I'm not even going to lie to you...having hair this short is really going to be a challenge for me. I started to see split ends on my natural texture...and that is one of the main reasons that I said...I'm finished! I wish you all the best in your transition! Try your best to stay away from heat. I wish I didn't flat iron back in October...but I was curious about how much length I had gained. After that ceramic flat ironing... I saw a dramatic increase in split ends! I regret doing it. Your regimen sounds really good...so I think you will be able to transition long term. If the breakage gets rough...don't hold on to those ends at the expense of your natural hair though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Here's to 6 inches in 2005! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif Oh! I missed the post where you said you BC'ed. Congrats on your decision. Be strong and I know your decision was for the best. I will make sure to take good care of my hair too while I transition. Thanks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Erica78 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks ladies /images/graemlins/kiss.gif Rush girl..Right now I have about 5.5 inches of natural hair. I had about 11 inches of relaxed hair on the floor when all was said and done /images/graemlins/smile.gif (thanks to all of the LHCF growth tips!) I'm trying to play and figure out what the heck to do with it. It's super thick...so no matter how I try to lay it down...it pops right back up. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Congrats to you too..I had no idea you chopped!?

[/ QUOTE ]

5.5 inches isn't bad at all.. Thanks for the congrats..but I hate it...LOL It's so damn curly..I don't have to put in any products for defined curls.. I have little ringlets all over.. I have too much shrinkage.. once I get a few more inches..or figure out what to do for shrinkage.. I'll be happy.. I love my hair..it's just too short for me.. when I had really short hair when it was relaxed..I loved it.. this I don't.. oh well, it will grow.. I just wear a baseball hat everyday.. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back