Thinking of Getting a Sew In

tasha5951

So, I've been transitioning since May. It's been going well but all of a sudden I'm just not liking my hair. I think I look better with straight hair than curly anyway because I have a round face and curly hair just makes my face look rounder. I thought about going back to relaxing or texlaxing but I think that if I did that right now I might want my natural hair back again and regret it. My job is too active for a wig or half wig. So I'm thinking about getting a sew in....

Here are my questions..

#1- I want a straight hair sew in with hair left out in the front and back so I that I can put it up in a pony tail when I want. But that would mean flat ironing the front and back like atleast once per week...thoughts?

#2- How do I keep my real hair conditioned so I don't get breakage?

#3- What's the best amount of time to keep it in so I get my money's worth but don't damage my real hair?

ryanshope

Congrats on your decision to transition. Though it may seem daunting at first, the rewards are well worth it. I am currently in a sew in now(asymmetrical bob ala Taraji P Henson) but here are some tips I would offer(I am applying to self).
Make sure to deep condition and do a protein treatment on your own hair first---better safe than sorry.

#1- I want a straight hair sew in with hair left out in the front and back so I that I can put it up in a pony tail when I want. But that would mean flat ironing the front and back like atleast once per week...thoughts? I don't know about this--just be careful. I have a full head weave cuz I didn't want any of my hair out but I won't say don't do it..just be sure to protect your hair and don't "over" do it.

#2- How do I keep my real hair conditioned so I don't get breakage? Leave in.s Use the liquid kind---Infusium or Biolage(one of my favs). They don't leave build up and can access more hair.

#3- What's the best amount of time to keep it in so I get my money's worth but don't damage my real hair? I wouldn't leave it in for more than 2 months(MAX). I don't know how much u are paying(my install was $100, but the hair was $30 for two packs) but your goal is retention---my GF left her weave in too long and is paying the price(no hair in the back or sides). She had it in for like 4-6 months...crazy too long.

Good luck with your install!

LiciaB

Congrats on your decision to transition. Though it may seem daunting at first, the rewards are well worth it. I am currently in a sew in now(asymmetrical bob ala Taraji P Henson) but here are some tips I would offer(I am applying to self).
Make sure to deep condition and do a protein treatment on your own hair first---better safe than sorry.

#1- I want a straight hair sew in with hair left out in the front and back so I that I can put it up in a pony tail when I want. But that would mean flat ironing the front and back like atleast once per week...thoughts? I don't know about this--just be careful. I have a full head weave cuz I didn't want any of my hair out but I won't say don't do it..just be sure to protect your hair and don't "over" do it.

#2- How do I keep my real hair conditioned so I don't get breakage? Leave in.s Use the liquid kind---Infusium or Biolage(one of my favs). They don't leave build up and can access more hair.

#3- What's the best amount of time to keep it in so I get my money's worth but don't damage my real hair? I wouldn't leave it in for more than 2 months(MAX). I don't know how much u are paying(my install was $100, but the hair was $30 for two packs) but your goal is retention---my GF left her weave in too long and is paying the price(no hair in the back or sides). She had it in for like 4-6 months...crazy too long.

Good luck with your install!

ryanshope What kind of hair did you buy? I'm relaxed, but attempting to stretch past my normal 12 weeks and considering a full sew in.

camilla

#1- I want a straight hair sew in with hair left out in the front and back so I that I can put it up in a pony tail when I want. But that would mean flat ironing the front and back like atleast once per week...thoughts?
i am relaxed so i wear either curly and do twist outs on my leave out or straight If you want try a closure to me it is worth the investment because i have reused mine several times for over a year with new installs and its still in a zip lock ready for the next intall

www.indianhair.net

www.silkbaseclosure.com/

#2- How do I keep my real hair conditioned so I don't get breakage?
i co wash (MY HAIR) once a week then use my leave spray every other day (shea moisture) i spray the wavy hair daily and use john freida dream curls line the straight i spray a little heat protectant and curl /wrap as needed

#3- What's the best amount of time to keep it in so I get my money's worth but don't damage my real hair?
i say no more than two months i self install so i usually go 1 1/2 month then i get bored :blush:

this has helped me reach my length bet bsl and mbl HTH