thinning as hair grows?

girlyprincess23

does anyone else's hair seem to be thinnning as it gets longer? i think its thinning but i can't be sure why. i know i experienced a lot of breakage this stretch but also my hair always looks super thin when the stylist uses any type of greasy substance and then high heat!!! the only time i went to a stylist and it didnt look thin when i came out was when i went to the dominicans because they didnt use any greasy leave ins. then also i do see people who's hair naturally thins as it grows. im very perplexed, i could always wash my hair and see what happens. i just wanted to know if anybody else experienced natural thinning as their hair grows?

locabouthair

yes since i've been here, i have been retaining a litle length but it's gotten so thin and that because i was overprocessed a couple times.

growinstrong

yes, I thought it was just me. I just trim more often when I see this. Instead of every 6 months, I'll trim like every 4-5 months.

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
My hair looks thinner now that it's full shoulder than when it was shorter, but that's mostly because all my strands are the same length due to a haircut I got, which means my top layers are nowhere near catching up to the back.

krissynick

this is a hard topic because thinning ends coudl be due to various things

like one maybe when u relax ... the relaxer may get on ur already relaxed hair and thin it out more

another maybe we when u comb ur hair u experience alot of breakage due to not combing properly or not conditioning properly or detangling properly

also it could be too much heat from blow drying...

now if u dont do all those things then it maybe ur hair growing at different rates.. u might just need to trim those thin ends till the other hairs catch up..

kombov_dymond

I am experiencing this as well. The longer my hair gets the more it sheds. I think this is what's causing my thinner looking ends.

CHECKMATE!

does anyone else's hair seem to be thinnning as it gets longer? i think its thinning but i can't be sure why. i know i experienced a lot of breakage this stretch but also my hair always looks super thin when the stylist uses any type of greasy substance and then high heat!!! the only time i went to a stylist and it didnt look thin when i came out was when i went to the dominicans because they didnt use any greasy leave ins. then also i do see people who's hair naturally thins as it grows. im very perplexed, i could always wash my hair and see what happens. i just wanted to know if anybody else experienced natural thinning as their hair grows?

u have the answer,its bolded:rolleyes:...grease/oil makes hair heavy/weighed down,try not putting ANYTHING on your hair after leaving the salon! I'm sure your bounce will come back:look:....as far as your ends are concerned,are u blowdrying from root to tip? if so,stop! this is attributing to your breaking/thinning hair! furthermore, your hair will look thinner at the ends while it is growing,be patient,dont cut it!..wait for the rest of your hair to "catch up" HTH:yep:

aurora3140

u have the answer,its bolded:rolleyes:...grease/oil makes hair heavy/weighed down,try not putting ANYTHING on your hair after leaving the salon! I'm sure your bounce will come back:look:....as far as your ends are concerned,are u blowdrying from root to tip? if so,stop! this is attributing to your breaking/thinning hair! furthermore, your hair will look thinner at the ends while it is growing,be patient,dont cut it!..wait for the rest of your hair to "catch up" HTH:yep:

I'm experiencing the same thing! I'm trying to be patient and let my ends get fuller on their own, but I get so discouraged when I wear my hair down like I did this weekend. I'm getting a wig on my B-day in March and I hope this will keep me from cutting. Until then, I'm just going to keep co-washing and bunning/pinning up to keep from seeing how thin my hair looks right now.

MiWay

I feel the same way. I'm only 9 weeks post, but I'm shedding like I'm 19 weeks post. My regimen hasn't changed, but for some reason, I'm losing long strands. I cannot wear my hair straight...it has to be curly otherwise it looks ridiculous. I thought about trimming, but I'm not sure that will help the problem, and I really don't want to trim until I reach my goal. I'm also toying with the idea of going natural.

girlyprincess23

yeah i dont blow dry it or anything and i was barely combing it, it must be due to the breakage i experienced while stretching...i was hoping it wouldnt have an effect but i guess it did because the roots are all full and the bottoms are just too thin for me. i knew all those long hairs falling out wasnt gong to b good!!! i dont know what to do. i guess ill just leave the grease and stuff off it and baby it and i guess it'll get fuller as it grows out. im not going to cut it though and i guess i dont need to stretch past 12 weeks!!! any advice is welcome

KathyMay

Yeap my hair well my ends are thinning as I reaching APL, I stopped braiding too closely and I already stretch out my relaxers. I am thinking this will past once it is longer. I am bunning along with the baggie method and of course Jamaican Black castor oil to see if I can thicken it up

girlyprincess23

I feel the same way. I'm only 9 weeks post, but I'm shedding like I'm 19 weeks post. My regimen hasn't changed, but for some reason, I'm losing long strands. I cannot wear my hair straight...it has to be curly otherwise it looks ridiculous. I thought about trimming, but I'm not sure that will help the problem, and I really don't want to trim until I reach my goal. I'm also toying with the idea of going natural.

you know what if i were you i would relax, because after this experience im realizing just because something works for someone doesnt mean its going to work for me and now my hair is thin on the ends and i have to wait till it grows out, so if your hair is telling u it cant go nemore with the textures relax it, thats what imma start doing 12 weeks or whenever it starts shedding a lot i dont care, its relaxer time!!

girlyprincess23

Yeap my hair well my ends are thinning as I reaching APL, I stopped braiding too closely and I already stretch out my relaxers. I am thinking this will past once it is longer. I am bunning along with the baggie method and of course Jamaican Black castor oil to see if I can thicken it up

maybe ill try this too!!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I follow a trimming/dusting method similar to Chicoro's as well. I am no good with major trims but I do it bit by bit until I am satisfied with the fullness and it might take 4-6 months, I don't mind, I don't usually wear my hair out anyway. The very thin ends, I can't bear to see so I trim them all off and gradually dust and even as needed for the thickness. I do it at every retouch now.

KathyMay

It is funny when I air dry it looks thin but if I blow out I am thick goddess, maybe it is because of my family genes. Also I am going to avoid long stretches I made it to 40 weeks one time, never again. I think I will try 15-20 weeks.

BrownSkin2

My ends look thin till I started dusting every 3 month. Over a 7 month peirod my ends thickened considerably. OP how often do you trim/dust your ends?

girlyprincess23

i don't really want to do a direct link here but read through her comments in her Hair Progress Comparison albums. hth

:yep:

ok found it..well maybe that's what its doing bc it does have a schedule like that if you see the other thread i started about weird growth patterns...its like the back of my hair sends out feelers then the rest catches up

girlyprincess23

It is funny when I air dry it looks thin but if I blow out I am thick goddess, maybe it is because of my family genes. Also I am going to avoid long stretches I made it to 40 weeks one time, never again. I think I will try 15-20 weeks.

40 weeks!!!! i prolly woulda been bald!!!!

Junonia

My hair is at the length where if I don't trim my ends every 6 weeks it still looks healthy. Once I pass APL, I have to trim frequently to keep a healthy look.

Lindy

I cannot wear my hair straight...it has to be curly otherwise it looks ridiculous.

I'm currently experiencing the same problem... It's sooo frustrating because my hair was doing so very well. I honestly think mine has thinned out because a different stylist at my salon did my relaxer touch up two times last year, and I think she left the relaxer on my hair too long!! Ever since then my edges are all broken in the front and there's even a big chunk in the center that is shorter than all my other hair!! :wallbash: I never had this problem before, so I am almost sure it's because of this stylist. Even with my permie hair color and relaxing, I was able to grow my hair and maintain my thickness for over a year before I suffered this setback. It makes me very angry because now I'm back at square one. My hair is a lot shorter now because the ends are thin and I can't stand thin ends... :perplexed I even trim them myself sometimes when I'm setting my hair because I can't stand to see my ends looking so thin and scaggly.:nono:

I am thinking about getting layers cut into my hair at my next touch up, just to give my hair some fullness. Do you all think this is a good idea?? :scratchch

locabouthair

I'm currently experiencing the same problem... It's sooo frustrating because my hair was doing so very well. I honestly think mine has thinned out because a different stylist at my salon did my relaxer touch up two times last year, and I think she left the relaxer on my hair too long!! Ever since then my edges are all broken in the front and there's even a big chunk in the center that is shorter than all my other hair!! :wallbash: I never had this problem before, so I am almost sure it's because of this stylist. Even with my permie hair color and relaxing, I was able to grow my hair and maintain my thickness for over a year before I suffered this setback. It makes me very angry because now I'm back at square one. My hair is a lot shorter now because the ends are thin and I can't stand thin ends... :perplexed I even trim them myself sometimes when I'm setting my hair because I can't stand to see my ends looking so thin and scaggly.:nono:

I am thinking about getting layers cut into my hair at my next touch up, just to give my hair some fullness. Do you all think this is a good idea?? :scratchch

I heard a lot of ladies here say that layers make their hair look thinner. and they always have to wear it curled.

MysteryMe

I am experiening this also (I guess??). My hair stylist doesn't notice it and thinks I am being critical of my hair.

Cleve_gryl

I heard a lot of ladies here say that layers make their hair look thinner. and they always have to wear it curled.
I don't always have to wear my layers curled, but that makes my hair look fuller. When its pin straight my hair does feel very fine versus when my hair was layered and shoulder length...it was full and bouncy.