This should end the lye, no-lye dispute...

Nonpareil

I read Shamboosie's book and I'm sorry but I have to agree, no-lye relaxers are dangerous. During my teen years, I used to use no-lye, and my hair was always dry and breaking. Over the years, it did serious damage to the hair in my crown area - the hair was practically disintegrating and felt powdery, and it never grew right since (read practically STOPPED growing). It is just now starting to recover, after switching to lye, and then eventually going natural.

Thnk about this:

Calcium is a dry, powdery white substance...

Have you ever noticed the difference between the burn scabs you get with a lye relaxer vs. a no-lye? Lye is standard brown scab, that heals pretty quickly, no-lye leads to yellow and brown scabs, that burn and itch, and ooze pus? YUCK!

If you MUST use a no-lye, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Vitale's Chelating Neutralizing Shampoo, the only shampoo that makes your hair feel normal after a no-lye. It removes lime and calcium deposits left in the hair after using a no-lye and rinsing (the stuff that makes your hair feel dry, powdery, and brittle). I'd also stick to the salon "sensitive scalp" brands also. But yes y'all, make that shampoo, your one and only neutralizing staple - bring it to the salon if you have to and make sure your stylist uses it.

sugawooga

When you started to use a lye relaxer did you apply it to your no-lye hair at the ends? He recommended this in the book but I'm afraid of over processing. I recently switched to a lye relaxer and I already applied it to my new growth. I'm really happy with the results. Did you see that part in the book? If so what do you think of this?

Nonpareil

I saw that and I don't think it's a good idea because you risk overprocessing. When you begin to rinse the relaxer, the lye is going to pass the ends at some point, I think this is sufficient, esp. as you do more and more touchups. Just start doing touchups with a lye relaxer and your hair will correct itself over time. Also use that chelating shampoo by Vitale.

jrw

I think what should end the lye vs. no-lye dispute is to recognize that different relaxers work well for different people. Its a shame that you had a bad experience with a no-lye relaxer but hopefully you have found something that works well for you now. There are plenty of women here who have found great success with no-lye relaxers.

Personally I have never been burned by relaxers. I have used a no-lye relaxer for 12 years with great results. I wouldn't get rid of it at all.

MissMarie23

[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:
I think what should end the lye vs. no-lye dispute is to recognize that different relaxers work well for different people. Its a shame that you had a bad experience with a no-lye relaxer but hopefully you have found something that works well for you now. There are plenty of women here who have found great success with no-lye relaxers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. We have to stick to what works best for us individually.

Babygurl

[ QUOTE ]
Poetess232 said:
[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. We have to stick to what works best for us individually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, no lye relaxers have been the best thing to happen to me and my SCALP!!

Neen

I have to agree with the post. No-lye's did a number on my hair. But I have fragile hair and it can't withstand the drying effects of no-lye. My sister on the other hand can use it with no problem I guess it is more individual. It seems like most can use lye while only a few can get away with no-lye. I have nothing to support that statement but I still think it's true.

pink_flower

[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:

Personally I have never been burned by relaxers. I have used a no-lye relaxer for 12 years with great results. I wouldn't get rid of it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, never been burned either and I've always used no lye.

jrw

[ QUOTE ]
Neen said:
I have to agree with the post. No-lye's did a number on my hair. But I have fragile hair and it can't withstand the drying effects of no-lye. My sister on the other hand can use it with no problem I guess it is more individual. It seems like most can use lye while only a few can get away with no-lye. I have nothing to support that statement but I still think it's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think unless you can conduct a survey that includes a large number of people who use relaxers, you can't tell that overall one type of relaxer is better than the other. I think it is safe to say that among regular posters of this forum, most prefer lye relaxers. But then again how many are we talking about considering how many members are regular posters and are relaxed?

Devi

I like no-lye, though I'm partial to the no-lye no mix ones. I've tried lye and it didn't straighten my hair at all, it was like I didn't put anything on it. I guess it's really up to the person.

I wouldn't give up my hawaiian silky for nobody

Neen

[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:

I think unless you can conduct a survey that includes a large number of people who use relaxers, you can't tell that overall one type of relaxer is better than the other. I think it is safe to say that among regular posters of this forum, most prefer lye relaxers. But then again how many are we talking about considering how many members are regular posters and are relaxed?

[/ QUOTE ]

i just said that because no-lye is more drying than lye and since AA hair is already dry, I would think that lye is more gentle on most of us, ya know what I'm sayin? But yeah, your right, one would have to conduct a survey. I remember there being a poll on here once and it was about 50/50. But you figure many people in the poll have never used a lye so they don't really know if a lye is better for them or not. But it's also dependent on the brand because not all lye relaxers are the same and I have had damage occur from not using the right lye relaxer, Affirm in my case. This relaxer, for whatever reason caused breakage whereas the Elasta did not. Either way, I feel what your sayin'.

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, jrw......

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O

Karonica

JRW, that is so true. The only thing that will end the dispute is people seeing for themselves what actually works for their hair. Mine can take either one, it doesn't matter.

Spagirl

When I first started posting on this forum my thought on this was and still is that we need to be aware that there are and will continue be new relaxing products coming onto the market. Some of these products will be classified as no-lye thus causing us to enter into a new era for no-lye. Please don't allow yourself (referring those who have had bad experiences with certain types of no-lye) to fall into a trap in thinking what was once bad to your hair (no-lye's in general) will always be so due to changes in the formulation of "no-lye". Example of a product I referenced in past post: Phytorelaxers

Virtuasis: Thanks for sharing! The info you shared will be a great help for those who use no-lye calcium type relaxers and are finding it to be problematic

jrw

[ QUOTE ]
Neen said:
[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:

[/ QUOTE ]

i just said that because no-lye is more drying than lye and since AA hair is already dry, I would think that lye is more gentle on most of us, ya know what I'm sayin? But yeah, your right, one would have to conduct a survey. I remember there being a poll on here once and it was about 50/50. But you figure many people in the poll have never used a lye so they don't really know if a lye is better for them or not. But it's also dependent on the brand because not all lye relaxers are the same and I have had damage occur from not using the right lye relaxer, Affirm in my case. This relaxer, for whatever reason caused breakage whereas the Elasta did not. Either way, I feel what your sayin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can put all no-lye relaxers in one category and all lye relaxers in another. Like all hair products, different people will have different responses to them. That does not mean that a product is good or bad in general. That just means it is good or bad for a particular person.

If someone is having success with a product, why should they change. I have been using no-lye relaxers for about 12 years now with great success. What would I achieve by switching to a lye relaxer if I like the results I'm currently getting?

Nonpareil

Perhaps I should elaborate a bit more - for the most part, I am referring to no-lye kits... I did mention that salon quality no-lyes are pretty good, esp. when used in conjunction with a chelating neutralizing shampoo to remove the calcium buildup. When I was relaxed, my hair did like Vitale Sensitive Scalp, the Affirm No-Lye, others. The no-mix no-lyes are fine as well, the main ingredient in those is lithium hydroxide (including Devi's beloved Hawaiian Silky), which doesn't seem to have harmful effects - but it's just something about that calcium hydroxide...

Donda

I wonder if your hair type makes a difference in which would be better no-lye or Lye. Example do 3's do better with no-lye where Lye is better for 4's? What do you think?

silvergirl

When I used to relax my hair .. from 85-03 my mother/I used the no-lye relaxer kit that one has to mix in. In all those years I've never experienced a problem with them. Never had scabs or burns. And never had serious breakage from the relaxer. I agree with those who said that everyones hair will react differently to different things.And just because one bad or good thing happens to one doesnt mean it will happen to all.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
virtuasis said:
I read Shamboosie's book and I'm sorry but I have to agree, no-lye relaxers are dangerous. During my teen years, I used to use no-lye, and my hair was always dry and breaking. Over the years, it did serious damage to the hair in my crown area - the hair was practically disintegrating and felt powdery, and it never grew right since (read practically STOPPED growing). It is just now starting to recover, after switching to lye, and then eventually going natural.

Thnk about this:

Have you ever noticed the difference between the burn scabs you get with a lye relaxer vs. a no-lye? Lye is standard brown scab, that heals pretty quickly, no-lye leads to yellow and brown scabs, that burn and itch, and ooze pus? YUCK!

If you MUST use a no-lye, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Vitale's Chelating Neutralizing Shampoo, the only shampoo that makes your hair feel normal after a no-lye. It removes lime and calcium deposits left in the hair after using a no-lye and rinsing (the stuff that makes your hair feel dry, powdery, and brittle). I'd also stick to the salon "sensitive scalp" brands also. But yes y'all, make that shampoo, your one and only neutralizing staple - bring it to the salon if you have to and make sure your stylist uses it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never used a no-lye relaxer but I read about lye being better on http://www.growafrohairlong.com/perms.html

Dolce_Dawn

The consensus seems to be that everything doesn't work the same on everybody. All I use are no-lye, store bought kits and my hair is healthy.
...lol

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Virtuasis, I'm a 3a/b, and I use a no-lye relaxer on my hair since coming back to it almost a year ago. I might consider trying a lye relaxer for a change, since I had it back in the mid 80's. Does it really matter for hair of my type to switch from a no-lye to a lye? TIA </font>

Nonpareil

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
The consensus seems to be that everything doesn't work the same on everybody. All I use are no-lye, store bought kits and my hair is healthy.
...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

True - A lot of 2, 3 hair types do well with them. No-lyes do their worst damage on 3c, 4a/b types. And again, like I said before not all no-lyes are bad - if you use them, be prepared to spend more time conditioning and caring for your hair. I prefer lye, and lyes has been around for ages.

nita4

When I relaxed, I used Cream of Nature Mild - no lye. My hair was dry, but my real problems came because of my own ignorance. When I found this forum, I jumped on the lye wagon and that worked for awhile, then my hair became thin, weak, and started to break - again from my own laziness because now I had the knowledge I needed to combat my hair problems. I've come to realize that no relaxer works for me if I truly want healthly hair. So with that said, two each his own.

Sweet_Ambrosia

virtuasis said:

Thnk about this:

What works for some may not work for others, thats all I've ever used are no-lye relaxers and I havent had any problems with my hair, its healthy & grows fine. So to say that no-lye relaxers are dangerous you may as well say that lye relaxers are dangerous as well, because their both "chemically" based.

Shawnee66

I used no-lye relaxers ever since I started to relax my hair. Since switching to a lye relaxer I can see a big difference in my hair texture. My hair isn't as dry and damaged as when I was using no-lye. I'm currently in the process of cutting off the no-lye ends so my hair can look healthier. I will never go back to using no-lye. You are right about the scabs!

jasmin

Neen said:

I agree. I think lye better overall...for me and a lot of other people. My hair feels better. I just made the switch so I think over time things will continue to get better. I do think no-lye works great for some people. There are some great no lye users that have grown some beautiful long hair. Everyone is just different.

Last edited:

azul11

jrw said:
[ QUOTE ]
Neen said:
[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can put all no-lye relaxers in one category and all lye relaxers in another. Like all hair products, different people will have different responses to them. That does not mean that a product is good or bad in general. That just means it is good or bad for a particular person.

If someone is having success with a product, why should they change. I have been using no-lye relaxers for about 12 years now with great success. What would I achieve by switching to a lye relaxer if I like the results I'm currently getting?

I agree wholeheartedly. I read Shamboosie's book and read all the information provided here from the thread. I assumed that lye would be better overall because of the things that people were saying. So I made the switch. I must say I do regret it. I did not get the results I thought I would despite caring for my hair. I have since switched back and I am now in the process of working on my hair to bring it back to how it used to be. I dont know why I thought lye would suddenly transform my hair. It either made it thin and lifeless or didnt process as well as it should. So I dont think anyone can speak for everyone. While I respect what Shamboosie is saying, he doesnt know MY HAIR so I can only do what is best for MY HAIR. God bless you all.