Lye Relaxers

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Hello,

I will be relaxing my hair in the spring. I read Shamboosie's book (don't remember the name) and I have not used no-lye. Supposedly, there is more calcium build-up in no-lye relaxers. Since, I have been using lye relaxers only, I do not want to go back to no-lye. Can you please tell me what other brands I can use?

I am sorry if this similar to another post, but every time I go to the BSS, everything has no-lye. Thanks in advance!

Lucie

*Frisky*

I think depending on the area you live in you may not be able to buy lye relaxers at the BSS..only licensed beauticians...there are websites where you can order Mizani and Design Essentials without being licensed....maybe you will get some more responses from members that know of some certain lye relaxers that can be purchased in the BSS.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Thanks, I did not know that. Have you ever tried a lye Mizane relaxer before?

sprungonhairboards

marie170 said:
I think depending on the area you live in you may not be able to buy lye relaxers at the BSS..only licensed beauticians...there are websites where you can order Mizani and Design Essentials without being licensed....maybe you will get some more responses from members that know of some certain lye relaxers that can be purchased in the BSS.

Wow I had no idea!:eek: You can get everything where I live.

PrettyHaitian, the ones in the boxed kits are usually no-lye. Do they sell the relaxer in the big tub or just the jar of relaxer cream where you live? They are generally lye. If not you could always shop online. Good luck.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Duh, you are talking to me! I am the only one in this thread with a fotki account. Yeah, my hair is natural. Well, natural as in growing out of my scalp, but relaxed :)

sprungonhairboards

PrettyHaitian said:
Duh, you are talking to me! I am the only one in this thread with a fotki account. Yeah, my hair is natural. Well, natural as in growing out of my scalp, but relaxed :)

:lol: So it's relaxed, not natural, huge difference.

~Nigeria~

PrettyHaitian said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah I meant natural like not relaxed silly. I was gonna say if your hair was natural, it's beautiful the way it is and you should leave alone and not relax it. Anyways, I love your hair and you are very pretty :).

*Frisky*

sprungonhairboards said:
Wow I had no idea!:eek: You can get everything where I live.

PrettyHaitian, the ones in the boxed kits are usually no-lye. Do they sell the relaxer in the big tub or just the jar of relaxer cream where you live? They are generally lye. If not you could always shop online. Good luck.

I am originally from Nebraksa and in BSS there, you can only buy certain products if you are a licensed beautician...I was surprised when I moved to Maryland and saw Mizani on the shelf for anyone to purchase.

*Frisky*

PrettyHaitian said:
Thanks, I did not know that. Have you ever tried a lye Mizane relaxer before?

The last relaxer I got was a Mizani lye and I like it....my hairdresser had been using Design Essentials and I think she was out of it that day when I went so she used Mizani..I think they both are good..

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
sprungonhairboards said:
:lol: So it's relaxed, not natural, huge difference.

Yeah, big difference is right :) If my hair was not relaxed, my hair would look like Rudy from the Huxtables.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
~Nigeria~ said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah I meant natural like not relaxed silly. I was gonna say if your hair was natural, it's beautiful the way it is and you should leave alone and not relax it. Anyways, I love your hair and you are very pretty :).

Thanks a lot, you made my day :p You are very pretty also and good luck with your hair goals. I think we have no choice but to achieve them with all the awesome tips on this board :)

Taya

hello, i read that book too i think it's "beautiful black hair". very informative. i use affirm w/ lye and like it alot, also keracare is within that product line. your hair is beautiful and looks thick and healthy.

Taya

PrettyHaitian said:
Thank you Taya :) Where can I get Affirm?[/QUO

Sorry took long time to answer I hadn't been back on this thread,but here in memphis we can buy it @ asian bss( but it's like 40.00 abucket), but if you or someone you know has cosmetology license you can get it @ a couple of license required bss for about $20 a bucket.