This should end the lye, no-lye dispute...

qtgirl

Also Shamboosie is only talking about Calcium based no-lye. I use Phtyo which has a different base and I think it's awesome. :up:

KAddy

delp said:
can you use Vitale's Chelating Neutralizing Shampoo with any relaxer?
I, personally, like to use the neutralizing conditioner that comes with the relaxer or is by the same maker as some companies tend to put ingredients that work together in their relaxing systems. I feel it is best to stick with the smae brand shampoo as the maker of the relaxer.

miracle

azul11 said:
I agree wholeheartedly. I read Shamboosie's book and read all the information provided here from the thread. I assumed that lye would be better overall because of the things that people were saying. So I made the switch. I must say I do regret it. I did not get the results I thought I would despite caring for my hair. I have since switched back and I am now in the process of working on my hair to bring it back to how it used to be. I dont know why I thought lye would suddenly transform my hair. It either made it thin and lifeless or didnt process as well as it should. So I dont think anyone can speak for everyone. While I respect what Shamboosie is saying, he doesnt know MY HAIR so I can only do what is best for MY HAIR. God bless you all.

ITA!!!!!! I just recently made the switch back to no-lye and I love it. I've never experienced any burns or irritation and my hair is never over/underprocessed, and the amount of shedding has significantly decreased. I loose maybe 6-7 hairs/day at the very most. My hair has more bounce and natural sheen than it ever did with the lye relaxers. I don't see myself going back to lye anytime soon. Whatever my hair likes, I love!!!! ;)

Last edited:

jasmin

Phyto is considered no lye. It works great for a lot of people and not for some. It's nice but it just never lasted in my hair.

shunemite

My hair thrives on lye, but I have seen people with no-lye hair that looks better than mine, go figure. Scientifically from my college chemistry, calcium is an insoluble compound. It's found in hard water that causes scum on bath tubs and clogged shower heads. However, I also noticed that recently there's 2 kinds of no-lye (I think): calcium hydroxide, and then guanadine carbonate that's made by mixing 2 chemicals together, like Affirm sensitive scalp. I guess that statistically, the average hair profits more from lye. But at the end of the day, I think the worst culprit with relaxers is us, the inexperienced lay users.

MonaLisa

qtgirl said:
Also Shamboosie is only talking about Calcium based no-lye. I use Phtyo which has a different base and I think it's awesome. :up:

Big ole co-sign.:up::up::up::up::up:

Great relaxer, unfortunately, didn't work for all heads. It happens.