Those of you who relax your own hair.....

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Help me please !? Well I just got my first tub of Mizani Reguler lye Relaxer that I want to put on my own hair. I have gotten the mizani regular lye done on my hair once before but that was at the salon by a professional. I have been self- relaxing my hair since the age of 15 (I'm 19 now) with box kits. I know this may sound slow :confused: but do I need to put the whole relaxer over all of my hair or just on the new growth? For some reason I feel the need to do all of my hair. Can anyone help me?

PrettyBrownEyes

I do not self-relax, however, I would think you would only apply to your new growth since the rest of your hair is already relaxed.

KAddy

You definitely want to ONLY put it on the new growth. Putting it on the previously relaxed hair will cause damage. Also, you should invest in some type of product to put on the previously relaxed hair (your ends and stuff) so that you don't have to worry as much about overlap. I remember a while back I purchase some stuff from a bss but I can't remember the name of it.

Southergirl's tips are great

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Alright...let's see so I don't want to overlap right? Do you know of any other products to put on my hair while I'm relaxing only the new growth other than the one that you can't remember? Am I fully saturating my already relaxed hair? Hmmm...maybe I should ask someone at my local bss about it before I relax my hair.

Honi

There is no board.
What I do is mix some cholesterol with some neutralizing shampoo to protect the relaxed portions of my hair and slater it on....especially on the ends. That way if any relaxer touches the previously relaxed sections while applying to the newgrowth it's neutralized.

KAddy

OK, I found the one I was thinking of. My hair dresser used to use this to base me as well as for the previously relaxed hair. Your local bss should have this.

Sensitive by Nature - Scalp Balm Pre-Relaxer Hair Dressing 9.5 oz.
Sensitive by Nature Scalp Balm reduces sensation, protects scalp during relaxing, aids in removing dry scalp flakes, and soothes dry scalp.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Great tip. I love my Lekair Cholestoral so maybe I'll use that with some neutralzing shampoo too. Wow I would have never thought of that . Thanx Honi!:D

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Oh Kaddy thanks for looking that up! I'm going to have to check that out too. Just so I'm clear am I putting this stuff or the neutralizing mix on my hair first then relaxing my new growth or is it the other way around?