Relaxed Heads! What is your hair type and what kind of relaxer do you use?

What is your hair type?

• ~2c

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3B/C

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 4A

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • 4AB

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • 4B~

Votes: 18 40.0%

• Total voters

*SkolarStar*

I am currently natural and I plan on relaxing my hair in december. My hair type is 4ab (A on top; B on the sides and nape). So far I have narrowed my relaxer options to ORS no-lye, mizani butter blends lye, and lineage lye. However, I want to get an idea of what might be best for my hair type. I don't want my hair bone straight, but I don't want to texlax.

What is your hair type? What kind of relaxer do you use?

RoundEyedGirl504

I'm 4a, with some 4b at the crown. Linange lye worked well, but quick watch it or you will over process. Mizani BB is good but burns me every darn time.

Mahsiah

I'm a 4a/4b. I use ors no lye. It doesn't get me bone straight but not quite texlaxed either.

nymane

Mostly 4b (4a in the crown)...I use Affirm Fiberguard sensitive scalp relaxer (no lye in normal strength), which I LOVE. I also like Affirm Sensitive Scalp (no lye).

tomnikids3

4a/b Lineage Shea Butter Relaxer (with lye). Best relaxer i have every used for my hair. I have been relaxing since i was 12, I'm now 49, i have used just about every relaxer on the market.

mochalocks

My hair type is 4a I use optimum, but I will be switching it the next time i'm due for a touch to Cream of nature.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I don't really believe in hair typing but I'd guess I'm somewhere between 3c-4b and I use MBB or Linange. Both could get your hair to whatever straightening capability, but I relax to look like side show Bob so I couldn't tell you how straight it will get you. Neither has ever burned my scalp but the Linange irritated my scalp a little. I'd recommend both.

Honey Bee

I use Vitale Sensitive Scalp No Lye. I think I'm 4a around the perimeter and 4b in the crown. I used it for years to relax bone-straight, I now use it to texlax (diluted and with tons of protection on my hair). It's never burned (and I scratch :look:). Overall, I'm happy with it.

I considered switching to the Linange No Lye, but I have a tendency to self-sabotage my hair goals when I get close, so I decided, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I also didn't like the idea of not being able to find it readily on the ground (same reason I didn't switch to Sally's Silk Elements). I don't like being dependent on the vagaries of shipping.

teysmith

4a/4b I use ORS. I've used Dark n Lovely a couple of times and really loved the results, but I have been using ORS from the beginning and haven't had any problems with it so I'm going to try to stick with it.

eta: btw ORS definitely do not get my hair bone straight. I use regular/normal and still have some texture. But that could just my hair. I don't know how it works for others.

Last edited:

Beamodel

4A/B I use either:
ORS Lye
Silk Elements Lye Mild

However I want to try Design Essentials next

TeeKay21

I LOOOOVE Design Essentials sensitive scalp. My hair feels like silk. Even after my new growth grows out, the relaxed part still feels smooth and sleek.

ATLcutey20

I'm 4a & 4b. I only use Ors no lye- normal. I dont like bone straight hair. This relaxer leaves me with texture.

koolkittychick

I have 4ab hair, and for the last few years I have been getting my hair done at the salon with Paul Mitchell relaxer. Best relaxer I have ever used. Leaves my hair straight and silky (even when I air dry), and it works well whether you like it textlaxed or bone straight (like me). Not cheap though, and you can't find it in the beauty supply store, so you can't do it yourself. :sad:

I have used ORS lye in normal strength for a short time when I flirted with the idea of becoming a DIYer, but it left me much more textlaxed than I liked. Tho Optimum no-lye kits were great for getting me straight but not bone straight when I used them back in the day, but that was almost ten years ago, so I can't vouch for the current formulation. :ohwell:

EnExitStageLeft

Hmmmmm....I think I'm a type 4..A?:perplexed. I wont know for sure until a couple months from now, I may not even know then :lachen:.

When I texturized my hair my absolute fav was Linange Shea Butter Texturizer. It was my hair crack, literally and figuratively :yep:.

Last edited:

SunySydeofLyfe

I am 4b fa sho! Coarse tightly coiled. I am currently using Nairobi. No diluting and it processing me just enough that I have straight hair without the flatness most relaxers cause my fine hair.

PureSilver

Thanks for this thread OP. I'm relaxing in December as well and this has helped somewhat. I am leaning towards Design Essentials sensitive scalp because i have fine strands especially my ends and i wanna get it right the first time.

Lilmama1011

4a mizani butter blend for sensitive scalp, mines come out straightish not bone straight

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
4B Design Essentials-Regular

My hair has lots of texture.

back2relaxed

As a natural I was a 4a/4b. My stylist uses Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp Regular. My hair is very thick, and very coarse.