Tipping at salons

daviine

I have a question.....okay actually two.

1. How much do you tip the stylist?
2. Do you tip the assistants as well or only the main stlyist?

moni

hi, when i go to a salon, i only tip the main stylist with about 5 dollars. she never takes it though because i'm in college. I still offer though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Allandra

1. How much do you tip the stylist?

Since I get the same service at the salon every three months, I always tip my stylist fifteen percent of the cost of the service.

2. Do you tip the assistants as well or only the main stlyist?

My stylist is the only one that 'works' on my hair from start to finish at the salon.

pebbles

When I used to go to the salon, I usually tipped her 15%, and I would give her assistant $10.00 seperately. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

H

HoneyRockette

I never know how much fifteen percent is because I am a math dummy so I just estimate. If the service is twenty dollars or less I give five dollars. If it is fifty dollars or less I give ten dollars. If it is a hundred dollars or less I give fifteen dollars, (because all I know is that fifteen percent of a hundred is fifteen). I rarely pay over a hundred dollars for a hair service but I guess that goes on a sliding scale. I never pay the assistants because I am cheap. The only shampoo person I ever tipped was Titi at Curve because it's only two of them and I would feel bad tipping one and not the other.

Jenai

That is what I usually do too, HR. if I am realy happy with the service, I will tip $15. My visits usually cost from $35 to $55.

BlkMane

It's been my understanding that you tip all the people who work on your hair. You tip the stylish the most, then usually give the shampoo person, etc. $5 or so.

BUT, it has always been my understanding that you only tip EMPLOYEES of a salon. I thought that if the OWNER works on your hair, you DON'T tip as she/he is technically getting "all the money" anyway. However, employees only get a portion of your bill, so that is why they are tipped.

I read the "you don't tip the owner" info in women's magazines over the years.

Did you tip the owners as well? /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

BrightEyes

I tip everyone. I find that saturday appointments will mysteriously open up if they find out one of their best tippers is on the phone. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ennyaa

I'm with this also. I give the shampoo person a few dollars and my stylist a few dollars. But if it's the owner of the shop she gets NADA because all the other stylists are paying her just to have a chair in her shop.

Ya know I may be cheap but sometimes I get annoyed when they expect a tip on top of $90 worth of charges. I love my salon but that's why I only go there for touch ups. Who the hell can afford that all the time? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Country gal

Ennyaa,

Girl I feel you. I try to tip the shampoo girl and have been tipping the stylist the past few months. I typically only go to my stylist when I need a touch up. I am cheap compared to the other ladies on the board. Most of the time I pay $70 or more for my touch ups. I tip $5 to stylist and a few dollars to shampoo girl. After reading this thread, I will increase my tip amounts. Being a fly gil is so expensive and time consuming.

Kitkat

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Being a fly gil is so expensive and time consuming.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL! You are so right, girl!

The last time that I went to a salon and racked up a $140 bill, I tipped the primary styist $20 and her assistant $10. Needless to say I went home very poor that day. Some friends told me that I tipped way too much. Some might think that I tipped too little. Oh well . . . hadn't been to a salon in years. At least now I have an idea from you guys what's appropriate.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Being a fly gil is so expensive and time consuming

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah in the words of Missy Elliot. "If you a fly gal, get your nails done, get a pedicure get your hair did!"

Well I do my own hair, nail wraps and pedicures, what kinda gal am I then?? Am I not fly huh? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cleo

No your still fly LondonDiva, that's what I do and I consider myself fly ....with money to spare on hair products and skin care. /images/graemlins/cheers.gif