Tips for growing hair with braids

westindianebony

Hey everyone! I'm new here. I just put some braids in my hair and i'm trying to grow my hair with them. Does any one have any suggestions on how to care for my hair to achieve growth? how many times in a week should a wash, moisterize, etc.?

You can moisturize often but I suggest no more than at least 2x per week to avoid buildup and if you like to "wash" I suggest at best one time per week. I don't know what type of braid you have so you don't want to mess with them too much to avoid unnecessary frizzies and wear and tear on your braids too fast.

I personally like to give myself hot oil treatments and sit under a warm dryer or steamer so the oil can penetrait through the braids.

all i can think of is (and i did grow out my hair with braids for a long time)

dont leave them in too long, my cut off point was about 5 weeks even if they still looked good.

i took time in between braiding it back up to condition it very very well. i used braid spray on my scalp and braids as well as oils. the most softening braid spray i found back then was Betta braids. it has glycerine so you have to go lightly with it due to stickiness.

sometimes i washed every two weeks, other times i rinsed, sometimes i just left it alone. i never had bad build up no matter what i did. i found that african pride grease (herbal formula) gave me no build up whatsoever under the braids. i would suggest only using that if your ok with using grease, if not use light oils on your hair before braiding it up, like olive oil, coconut oil etc. the braided hair soaks up all oils out of your hair, so its good to have your hair very well oiled to keep it from becoming really dry, i was the one braiding so i got used to doing while it was greasy/oily. thats all i can think of , hth

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
all i can think of is (and i did grow out my hair with braids for a long time)

dont leave them in too long, my cut off point was about 5 weeks even if they still looked good.

i took time in between braiding it back up to condition it very very well. i used braid spray on my scalp and braids as well as oils. the most softening braid spray i found back then was Betta braids. it has glycerine so you have to go lightly with it due to stickiness.

sometimes i washed every two weeks, other times i rinsed, sometimes i just left it alone. i never had bad build up no matter what i did. i found that african pride grease (herbal formula) gave me no build up whatsoever under the braids. i would suggest only using that if your ok with using grease, if not use light oils on your hair before braiding it up, like olive oil, coconut oil etc. the braided hair soaks up all oils out of your hair, so its good to have your hair very well oiled to keep it from becoming really dry, i was the one braiding so i got used to doing while it was greasy/oily. thats all i can think of , hth

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA, another good moisturizer for braids is Sta Sof Fro.

I'm in braids again, my hair grows very well in braids, I wash with diluted shampoo, and diluted conditioner( but I don't get the conditioner near my roots), I do that once a week. I spray my braids daily with African pride braid spray and follow up with wonder 8 oil. I also use Surge on my scalp once a day.

I've left mine in for as long as 2 months, but by then I have usually redone all the edges cause that where I get the worst knotting. But I retain alot of growth this way...HTH

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
http://www.growafrohairlong.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I co-sign with ya on that site!
smile.gif
Also, here's an old thread... Diva's Personal Tips for Braid Success

Back