Tips from those who are transitioning with braids

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
What is your regimen?

This how I plan to transition with braid extentions.

Keep them in for 2 months at a time, wash them weekly, use some tips from the growafrohairlong site.

Then have a week break, but i'm not sure what i'll do with my hair in this period.

During the break i'll deep condition my hair and put it back in braids.

I'm thinking of doing this for 15 months initially and take it from there.

I also find my hair seems to revert while it's in braids.

Shatani

Re: Tips from those who are transitioning with bra

What is your regimen? i still sleep with my scarf, when i have my braids, i moisturize and surge daily, and i get that medicated shampoo stuff and do that once a week or once every two weeks....and i wash for real with diluted shampoo(a great tip i got for a wise lady) once a month.

i think what youve got planned sounds fine...just dont forget the moisture...its very important!

~T~

alliyah4eva203

souns good to me. thats i'm doing as well but with cornrows and weaves. i don't wanna do braids cause my hairline is still weak.
for cornrows i'll leave them in for 4 weeks(wash evry two weeks.) then take then out. leave my hair out for 1 week.(not really sure what i'll do for the week. cause i don't wanna press it.) then do them again.

i'll probaly do this until next spring then cut the relaxed ends off. so i'll have some lenght

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"

thanx ladies

Shatani.

When you say moisturize, do you mean to saturate the braids with braid sheen and maybe a type of oil? Or to moisturize the scalp?

x

hey Im not transitioning but I do wear braids a lot...talking about 80% of the time...during the of week you could try a twist out or even a phony pony or fall while your hair is recovering, make sure to be careful detangling and also condition like crazy

love2praz

CharUK:

At the moment (since I can never make up my mind), I'm transitioning. I've had braids for just about 2 months. It's just about removal time and then I plan to give myself a 1-2 week break until I get some more!

I basically follow the regime listed on the growafrohairlong.com site. I wash once a week with diluted shampoo and condition with diluted conditioner. And I moisturize daily in the mornings with a combo of African Pride Braid Sheen spray and S-curl no drip moisturizer.

L2P

aikaa71

I am transitioning too. I have braids(sengealese twists- the really tiny ones) and I plan to keep them in for 4 months. I wash once a week with a very mild diluted shampoo using the technique on growafrohairlong.com. I use motions nourish leave in on wash day only and African pride braid spray every other day. I do not apply any oil to the scalp as I am trying to avoid build up at the base of the braids. I take evening primrose oil and cod liver oil supplements daily since these are excellent in keeping my scalp “moisturized”and I do not get a problem with dry scalp.

pReCioUsLil1

I'm transitioning with my own hair in conrows... I do it that like once evry 4 weeks caz ion want my hairline to recede or my edges to break (they are just beginning to regain themselves)... and evry week I do two-strand twist which i luv caz i can put em in different styles! My hairdresser use Lets Jam to twist, which Ion like caza d mineral oil so @ home i use Alternatives (by Soft Sheen) Conditioning Styling Gel with MRC (Moisture Retention Complex).. mineral oil n petroleum free. My hairdresser also uses KeraCare on my hair.
I deep condition, as a rule, evrytime i wash my hair unless i am 1) SERSELY pressed 4 time or 2) am going to get a treatment and trim from the hairdressers, to prevent over-conditioning.
I trim weneva i feel like it, usually and unconsciously evry6 weeks but my ends were unbelievably dry the other day so I figured I hated waited 2 long and cut an inch or so off.
I use Profectiv Daily Strengthening Leave In, which I've loved since the first time i bought it many months (yrs???) ag, and also Parnevu T-Tree Oil on my scalp.
I dont No-Poo caz i find it leaves my hair dry, so I shampoo wit a ALS/SLS, etc FREE shampoo called Breakthru Fortifying Moisturizing Shampoo, which leaves my hair soft and clean, then condition with wateva i have, all wonderful stuff :) such as Suave Coconut (unsure about this), Garnier Fructis Fortifying, Textures n Tones 1-Minute Reconstructor, etc etc. I deep condition with St. Ives Hot Oil Moisturizing Treatment thruout the hair and G. Fructis 3-Minute Masque on the ends and sparingly thruout and cover with a plastic cap (try 2hrs first). The humectants in the G. Fructis and the protein, herbs,plants, aloe etc in the St.Ives leaves my hair strong and soft, never dry or brittle. HTH!

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"

Thanx for the tips guys!!

I think the suggest of a phony pony, i'm not sure what state my hair will be in to do a twist out (I have a wave nouveau).

I think i'll have cornrow extensions too every now and then for a little variety.

So, i'm going to wash but with diluted shampoo and conditoner. I think I need to check out that site again.
x

TigerLily

Charl, I think you should give your hair more time to recover than one week. Two weeks sounds better. It just doesn't seem like your giving your hair enough time to recover.

Just my $.02

blackhair

Like Alliyah, I am transitioning with weaves and sometimes cornrows. When my hair is out for one week I do a nice bun.

CharUK That is a good challenge -15months- I think I am going to do that but I might add wigs.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"

I understand the logic behind that, it's just that, before, I used to braid my hair the very next day!! uh oh! lol

So a week will be a new thing for me, i'll see how it goes, if I can stretch it two weeks in between that would be good!

x

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"

Sassy girl thanx for the link, i'm going to check it out right now.

Healthb4Length

I'm in! 15 months of braids off and on! I am so stressed right now, braids would be the perfect thing for me. Right now my hair is about 2 inches past shoulder lenght. I'm wondering how long it will grow in 15 months
Hopefully I will be close to brastrap. I'm a lazy bean sometimes and I think that braids will be perfect. I am going to do my own braids this weekend to start it off.

Shatani

[ QUOTE ]
CharUK said:
BUMP for a response from Shatani

[/ QUOTE ]hey! sorry, i didnt come back until today! im sure your question was already answered...but i use african pride braid spray as my daily moisturizer....good luck with yer transition!
~T~