Must Have - Transitioning Products, Tools and tips

talata

Hello Ladies,
This is for current and past Transitioners - what products or tools or tips were absolutely essential in helping you successfully through your Transition?

I'm currently 14 weeks post relaxer and have made the decision to transition. I've been in braids for the last 4 weeks and I just want to prepare for how I will work with my hair once I take them out.

I will really appreciate any help I can get.

BlondeByDesire

Well what has been helping is - wash, deep conditioning weekly w/heat 30 minutes, bi-weekly protein treatments (Aphogee 2 minute), keeping my hair moisturized and sealed, roller-sets, bagging my ponytail at night, little to no manipulation during the week - finger combing.

talata

Well what has been helping is - wash, deep conditioning weekly w/heat 30 minutes, bi-weekly protein treatments (Aphogee 2 minute), keeping my hair moisturized and sealed, roller-sets, bagging my ponytail at night, little to no manipulation during the week - finger combing.

Thanks so much for sharing. Can't wait for the day I'll reach 60 months like you. :)

Gracie

conditioner, conditioner and more conditioner
coconut oil (whatever your fav oil is)
protective styling

talata

wide tooth comb

shampoos that are not harsh

conditioners that are great at detangling

Thanks Allandra. Can u please recommend any particular conditioners or shampoos that work best for you? Especially the shampoos.

MummysGirl

I've put examples of my products in brackets:
1. Cowashing - Conditioners (Both moisturising(Herbal Essences) and light protein(Aphogee 2 min) ones to alternate between as needed). I love the cowashing challenge thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=349489
2. Deep Conditioning (ORS Olive Oil Replenishing con mixed with oils)
3. Moisturising (Shea butter mix and home made moisturising spritz)
4. Low manipulation - I only detangle hair that's drenched in conditioner. I might lightly comb my relaxed ends or brush with my comb (if that makes sense). I never comb my new growth dry.
5. Transitioners Support Thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=312457

Good luck with your transition, I'm a fellow transitioner :)

Whimsy

For me the staples are:

- conditioner
- wiiiide tooth comb
- patience
- maxiglide
- coconut oil

dija23

Hey, I am also 14 weeks in and so far this is what has worked the best for me:

1. Clarifying shampoo 1x week
2. Co-wash almost every day (right now I love Suave Humectant Cond)
3. Deep condition 1x a week (right now using Pantene R&N Deep Conditioning Mask)
5. Cantu Shea Butter Leave in (could not survive w/o it! gives great slip, moisture and shine)
6. IC Fantasia w/ sparklites Gel
7. Wide tooth comb for detangling once every couple weeks
8. Low manipulation, No brushing, no combing, no slicking back, just Wash and Go, maybe put up in a pony
9. Sleeping with a satin scarf @ night

Oh, and I've found if I do want to wear it in a bun the next day, I sleep with the satin scarf the night before and the next morning it's pressed down smooth and has great wave definition. I put in a little gel and leave in and put into a bun.

Hope this helps!

countrychickd

Fellow transitioner here. Almost 20 weeks post.

-cowashing at least three times a week helps to make my new growth soft, easy to detangle, and easy to manage
+ I use Aussie Moist, Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner, Aphogee 2 Minute (for protein), Herbal Essences Hydralicious Conditioner (self-targeting).
-deep conditioning at least once a week
+ I use ORS Replenishing Conditioner for light protein or Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner (for moisture)
-Detangling only on wet hair
+ I use a wide tooth comb (Jilbere shower comb) and I only detangle my hair while wet loaded with conditioner. Combing the hair while dry can be troublesome.

-After cowashing, I usually let my hair airdry in a nice bun. I cowash almost daily, and I usually apply my leave in conditioner (Cantu Shea Butter Leave In or Giovanni Direct), add my oil or serum (coconut oil, Garnier Sleek and Shine serum, Hask Pure Shine serum), and then slightly brush my hair into a bun. I use Fantasia IC gel to smooth down my edges.

HTH!

Dominican09

Fellow transitioner here. Almost 20 weeks post.

-cowashing at least three times a week helps to make my new growth soft, easy to detangle, and easy to manage
+ I use Aussie Moist, Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner, Aphogee 2 Minute (for protein), Herbal Essences Hydralicious Conditioner (self-targeting).
-deep conditioning at least once a week
+ I use ORS Replenishing Conditioner for light protein or Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner (for moisture)
-Detangling only on wet hair
+ I use a wide tooth comb (Jilbere shower comb) and I only detangle my hair while wet loaded with conditioner. Combing the hair while dry can be troublesome.

-After cowashing, I usually let my hair airdry in a nice bun. I cowash almost daily, and I usually apply my leave in conditioner (Cantu Shea Butter Leave In or Giovanni Direct), add my oil or serum (coconut oil, Garnier Sleek and Shine serum, Hask Pure Shine serum), and then slightly brush my hair into a bun. I use Fantasia IC gel to smooth down my edges.

HTH!

Countrychickd thanks sooo much for your post! I am 24 weeks post relaxer and I am more educated now than when I started. I am going to try your routine see if it works for me...Also what is cowashing?

countrychickd

Countrychickd thanks sooo much for your post! I am 24 weeks post relaxer and I am more educated now than when I started. I am going to try your routine see if it works for me...Also what is cowashing?

Hey lady. Cowashing is basically when you wash your hair with conditioner instead of using shampoo. I usually wet my hair and then add my conditioner. I'll let the conditioner sit in my hair while I bathe, etc. After bathing, I'll use my Jilbere comb to detangle my hair while I use the pressure of the shower water to help with detangling. It's really easy, and it doesn't take a lot of time or energy. HTH!

BTW....please let me know how this works for you.

Dominican09

Hey lady. Cowashing is basically when you wash your hair with conditioner instead of using shampoo. I usually wet my hair and then add my conditioner. I'll let the conditioner sit in my hair while I bathe, etc. After bathing, I'll use my Jilbere comb to detangle my hair while I use the pressure of the shower water to help with detangling. It's really easy, and it doesn't take a lot of time or energy. HTH!

BTW....please let me know how this works for you.

Thank you sooo much! I will cowash tomorrow!

zora

Humectress is my lover for life. The Sally's knock-off is almost just as good and a WHOLE lot cheaper.

If you want to slick down your hair in a bob, get some Aloe gel or jelly. It's good stuff.

araceli2418

I'm cosigning with everyone that said cowash, conditioner, wide tooth comb. Oh, and satin scarf at night but I think a lot of us do that even w/o transitioning. Oh, and most important of all, moisture, moisture, moisture.

I can't think of anything else. The ladies above already did a great job of answering.

Skiggle

I love braids.
Leave in Conditioner: Giovanni or something of your choice.
*Leaves you new growth SOOOOO friggin soft!*
Co-washes!!!!!
Coconut oil/Avocado oil for the scalp.
Deep Conditions, make your hair EXTRA soft.
Protective Styling....
AND BE GENTLE.... :yep:

talata

Got my hair in Kinky twists right now. Can't wait till I take them out and try your recommendations. I also ordered Diva Smooth. Any of you ladies try it during your transition?