Tips on prolonging retouch

Miosy

I like to share my experience. I have 4a/b hair texture which is very fragile and breaks easliy. I could never ever go pass 8 weeks w/o breakage and uncontrollable new growth.

What I did was I set myself small goals.

1. My first goal was to go 12 weeks w/o relaxer w/ minimal or no breakage.

2. My next goal was 16 weeks. Which currently I am on week 15.

This is how I did it. Once I pass my 6-8 week post relaxer

1. Less hair manipulation: meaning the only time I actually use a comb to do my hair is when I am untangling in the shower. I would air dry using the pony tail method or braid out. When I say I don't comb with a comb, it's the honest truth. After 6 weeks I am terified of a comb on my hair.

2. Washing every 3 days was a must or else my new growth would get hard and coil around each other.

3. PROTECTIVE styles! I always keep my hair in some type of protective style. I finger comb all the time never using a comb or brush.

4. Good detangling shampoo and conditioner. I detangled while rinsing my shampoo and only detanlged again if needed after conditioner. Use a good moisturizing conditioner. My hair like Lekair cholestrol but I recently discovered that my hair also really likes Motions Moisture plus conditioner.

Other tips:
-always keep your ends very well moisturized
-always keep new growth moistured by giving it a nice warm castor oil bath and wash it very well.
-most of all be patient and take the time to listen to your hair

So, now I am on 15 weeks and due to relax next weekend. This is a big accomplishment for me and I wanted to share my experience

adrienne0914

congratulations, miosy!

i do alot of the same stuff, especially the less manipulation and protective styles. how much progress do you think you've made in the 15 weeks?

debyjay

Luck you! I have tried everything you do and can only go 8 weeks. Weeks 6 to 8 I apply S-curl to my new growth which helps cut down on breakage by making it soft.

Miosy

I feel I made a lot of progress! I know the less chemicals I add to my hair the healthier it is. I feel it's a lot stronger now as compared to relaxing every 6-8 weeks. Once I relax next week, I am planning to flat iron to see the actual length. I do want to thank everyone on the board for so much advice and great tips.

Debyjay: Believe me, I thought the same thing with my hair because even now as I touch my new growth it is soooo kinky
Set small goals, maybe extend it for 1-2 weeks at a time.

ms_kenesha

WTG
I'm going to try and extend my touch-up this time and I think with the softer newgrowth I'm experiencing I just might be able to do it. Like you said I'm going to try and up the time in 2wk increments.
Thanks for the tips!

phynestone

Hey ladies!

I just got a relaxer for the first time in 5 years. How do I know if my ends are being kep moist? At first I was applying leave-in conditioner to them and sealing it in with oil at night, but they frizzed up quickly and someone suggested that I not do that. Can any of you recommend a good moisturizer that's heavy enough for 4ab hair, especially with winter coming up? Thanks!

G

Hey, good JOb....

You cracked me up when you said your "terrified" of the comb after 6wks

I got to 10, that's my limit for now. I want to get to 12 it's just 2 more wks, I think I might be able to do it.

Miosy

Hmmmm...for my ends I use so much stuff...it depends on how dry they are but they are tucked away most of the time...I use DI water w/ jojoba oil sometimes or mango butter, Africa's best shea butter...I know this one is strange but I bought the Baby oil gel for my son, the one w/ chamomile or lavender scent and I use that on my ends only sometimes
Yes, I know weird but it works.

MiaLi

Thanks Miosy! I might try the distilled water and jojoba oil soon, especially after all of the reviews on the benefits of using both of these.

If baby oil gel works too, great! Sometimes the most unlikely things have a way of working for more than one purpose.