What's the secret to prolonging your relaxer?

sweetcakes14

After viewing Sylver2's picture where she is 10 weeks post relaxer, I am determined to find out how you go that long and keep your new growth soft and manageable without major breakage. The longest I can go is 8 weeks which is stretching it. And believe me you can see the naps - my hair is SNAP, CRACKLE AND POP! I would love to be able to try and start extending to 10 weeks if possible.

What's everyones secret?

Isis

I stretch to 13 weeks which was not even a concept before LHCF!

After about 8 weeks or so, I start applying some pure virgin coconut oil on my new growth to keep it soft and to lock the moisture in - a little bit goes a long way.

I also wash and condition every 3 days so my hair is always moisturized.

So I feel that keeping the new growth moisturized and babying it is the key to stretching relaxers with minimal shedding.

ETA: Wearing styles that work with new growth and combing hair only when wet (while detangling) are important also.

Last edited:

HollyGolightly

I just stretched my relaxer for 10 weeks this time, and it wasn't difficult at all. I used NTM to soften my new growth, and wore my hair clipped up most of the time. For the last 3 weeks, I wore a sew-in. This is the first time I ever stretched this long, cuz I usually relax every 6 weeks. I wish I had started doing this a long time ago! I loved playing in my newgrowth, and it was a pleasant surprise to see how long my hair was after my relaxer.

The only bad part was that I had some breakage in the front, where my hair is the curliest. I don't know if this was from stretching out my relaxer, or from that area being highlited. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

KathyMay

the easy way for me are braids but when I did have my hair out and I was 8-10 weeks post relaxer I would conditioner wash my hair every week and use a combo of moisturizers (HHB, Mango butter and S-Curl) then style my hair in a braid out. My hair gets very dry and needs a ton of moisture or it will break off quick.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Here's what I do:
Touch time - 6 weeks post, I wash 1-2x weekly
7-10 weeks post, I wash 2-3x weekly
11+ weeks post, I wash 3-5x weekly(depending on the weather and style)

You want to keep the line of demarcation intact. (The place where the newgrowth and the relaxed hair meets)

I've learned that frequent conditioner washings and rollersets help me maintain newgrowth and shedding. Shea Moisture leave-in, castor oil, carrot oil, Scurl No Drip Moisturizer (among other products) help soften my new growth.

I also try not to comb my hair too much while it is dry. The only time I would comb would be in the shower under running water. If I have stretched farther than I have ever stretched before, I'll conditioner wash at night, add moisturizers/softeners, put my hair in as smooth a bun as I can get it, and wear that for a day or so until I'm ready to change styles. Then I conditioner wash again, add moisturizers/softeners and then style.

Try washing in sections and then clipping those sections. That way, your hair will be in the position you want it to style, i.e. rollerset, bun, twist/braidout etc.

HTH

~op~

Neroli

4b here and I stretch to 12 weeks. My hair is 2 inches past shoulders. I use nexxus products.

Touchup to 8 weeks post: wash and rollerset once a week, no problem, hair rocks and can pretty much style however -- usually dry buns during workweek and out during weekends.

8 to 12 weeks post: wash and rollerset once a week same as before, using same products except that I TAKE AN HOUR LONGER to do the same wash and set because new growth so thick that longer time needed to detangle and gently comb out to avoid breakage. In addition, I follow the "do not comb new growth except during wash" policy. Once my rollerset is dry, I do NOT comb, brush, oil, or touch my new growth until my next wash. Period. I simply wear my same bun during week and wear straight during weekends. My hair looks pretty good during this time, except that it appears a couple of inches shorter than it really is because I don't try to "blend" the textures or straighten out my roots beyond the rollerset - I just let it be. For ladies who like the "bone straight look" this may not work -- I have gotten very very comfortable letting my roots show and have no desire to fight the texture all the time, especially when stretching. For me the two keys to succesful streching are: (1) schedule more time on wash day and (2) don't fight the texture, just leave it alone.

Allandra

I get my hair relaxed three times a year (January, May and September). For me, keeping my hair moisturized, being gentle with my hair, and taking my time detangling helps me stretch out my relaxers. I also wear protective styles. I remember when I use to go every 6-8 weeks. :eek: I haven't done that in a few years, and I will N E V E R do that again.

sweetcakes14

Ladies:

Thanks for the insights. I'm going to try and stretch out my relaxer this time to 9-10 weeks. I actually bought some S-Curl, so at around 7 weeks (when my new growth starts to get tough), I'm going to start putting extra moisturizer on my new growth and keep it in a bun for the week and see what happens til relaxer time.

I'll keep you all posted.

Honi

There is no board.
The longest I will ever go is 5 months. I do alot of CO washes three times a week to keep my hair detangled and only comb under running water. If I don't do this it will start to mat up. You want to keep the demarcation line as supple as possible and I haven't found any moisturizer to do this but CO washes and sealing it in with an oil. I NEVER comb it dry as this will result in my hair breaking.

In addition, I wear french twists and updo's and I just leave it alone as I approach touchup time.

sylver2

Honi said:
The longest I will ever go is 5 months. I do alot of CO washes three times a week to keep my hair detangled and only comb under running water. If I don't do this it will start to mat up. You want to keep the demarcation line as supple as possible and I haven't found any moisturizer to do this but CO washes and sealing it in with an oil. I NEVER comb it dry as this will result in my hair breaking.

In addition, I wear french twists and updo's and I just leave it alone as I approach touchup time.

I also only comb my hair under running water. It straightens really good. The last couple of weeks I was putting John Frieda Relax ultra hydrating moisture remedy balm only on my new growth when wet. Then when it dried it was really soft. I always keep a satin scarf on my head at all times to flatten the new growth.

Cinnabuns

I'm a 3/c-4a gal and the products that have helped me the most is using lots of butters (Shea, Mango, Avacado) and grease (blue magic) along my hairline.

BklynHeart

I'm 4b and the most I can go is 10 weeks. Right now I'm at 9 and would like to stretch to 11 but my new growth is crunchy. I usually just rollerset and wear the front in a soft ponytail and leave the back out. this way I don't have to put too much stress on my edges with slicking them down and tying with a scarf.

DahomeyAhosi

I keep my hair in braids (natural hair only) and moisturize the new growth with a mixture of s-curl, suave milk and honey, and evoo. I go between 10-12 weeks this way.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I'm glad this post is here becuase I was questioning this very same issue. My next perm I will be getting is this Saturday. But after this, I will try and stretch out my perm for 10 weeks. :weird:

luvlonghair

Moisturize is the key. I was never the one to go past 4 weeks, but learned the hard way when I decided to stop wearing weave ponytails (all the time) and my hair just fell off my head. Once I reach 8 weeks (like right now), I wear my hair in a clip with the back hanging down. At 12 weeks, I would wear a weave ponytail, but make sure that my hair is very, very well moisturized before I put it on (I'm a firm believer in brushing). I will wear them for 4 weeks (I wash my hair every week when I wear these). Then relax. At first it was hard for me, but I got the hang of it, so you can:)

sweetcakes14

I am looking forward to trying different things and see what helps to extend the time between relaxers.

thanks to everyone for their suggestions

lovelymissyoli

Constant moisture, cornrows, or rollersetting my hair with perm rods to wear a "curl-out". These style help hide what's really "growing" on underneath! :)

Survive4

S-Curl is my newfound best friend. I am at 14 weeks and I saw and felt the difference when I bought it about a week ago. The slip is great and the softness is so noticable. Also conditioner washes at least 2x a week, deep conditioner on the weekend and buns during the week. I keep saying I'm gonna try a braidout or twistout but laziness has got the best of me lately.

brownsugarbabe

I'm currently 10 weeks post relaxer and what's been working for me is at night I section my hair into 2"x2" sections, starting from the back. I lightly spray the new growth and ends with a conditioning spray like Pantene. Working each section at a time I use a wide tooth comb and gently comb through the new growth and apply Mango butter throughout concentrating on the end. I then make a pincurl out of each section secured with a bobby pin. I tie my hair with a scarf at night and in the morning my hair falls into these bouncy shiny loose falling curls. Sometimes I wear my hair just like that, manipulating the curls with my fingers or I'll pin it up.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
brownsugarbabe said:
I'm currently 10 weeks post relaxer and what's been working for me is at night I section my hair into 2"x2" sections, starting from the back. I lightly spray the new growth and ends with a conditioning spray like Pantene. Working each section at a time I use a wide tooth comb and gently comb through the new growth and apply Mango butter throughout concentrating on the end. I then make a pincurl out of each section secured with a bobby pin. I tie my hair with a scarf at night and in the morning my hair falls into these bouncy shiny loose falling curls. Sometimes I wear my hair just like that, manipulating the curls with my fingers or I'll pin it up.

Hmmmm.....this sounds interesting.

When you section in 2x2, how many pin curls do you end up with?

~op~

brownsugarbabe

onepraying said:
Hmmmm.....this sounds interesting.

When you section in 2x2, how many pin curls do you end up with?

~op~

Usually about 14 or so. I look crazy going to bed but I guess that's price we all pay for beautiful hair!

Babygurl

I recently posted pictures of my new growth 10 weeks post relaxer and I must say S-curl is phenomenol for my 4a/b new growth!

Dolapo

How do i use this s-curl stuff? I have some lying around. The last time i tried it, it made my hair sticky but ill give it one more try

GoingBack

I spray it on my new growth and the length of my hair every day after I am about 6 weeks post relaxer. I follow up with an oil to seal in the moisture. It makes my new growth manageable and easy to comb. Yes, your hair will be slightly sticky as that is what the product does.

Dolapo said:
How do i use this s-curl stuff? I have some lying around. The last time i tried it, it made my hair sticky but ill give it one more try

Babygurl

Ive never experienced any stickiness with S-Curl, maybe because I only use it on freshly washed hair.