Tips on Trimming Locks

Does anyone know about cutting locks? i don't want to cut them off entirely, but just shorter because they're really too long now. Is there something i have to have done to the tips so it doesn't unravel and get bushy? Has anyone ever cut their locks before?

Thanks,

Jasai
www.thenewfastgirls.blogspot.com

poookie

just go ahead and chop 'em! i don't think there's a special way to do it. my sis had locs, and trimmed hers once.

you might need to give the tips an extra thorough wash, though, especially if you've been using very lathery shampoos. on some of my sis' dreads, they were light colored in the center (she had black hair at the time), because she never fully rinsed out the lather from her locs :barf:

Does anyone know about cutting locks? i don't want to cut them off entirely, but just shorter because they're really too long now. Is there something i have to have done to the tips so it doesn't unravel and get bushy? Has anyone ever cut their locks before?

Thanks,

Jasai
www.thenewfastgirls.blogspot.com

My first set of locs I cut them a couple of times :yep:
I didn't do anything specific to my ends. Some of them sealed back up on their own, others unraveled a bit and returned to curly q's which I kept.
Maybe if you rolled the ends in your hands, kinda like palmroling to help it along

JustKiya

When I cut my locs, I just cut them. The ends would be a little looser, and sometimes I would get some shedding from the ends, but after a wash or so, they tightened right back up. :yep:

SoulElegance

Does anyone have any suggestions in regard to split ends all up the loc? I do not want to cut my hair off. Any suggestion in regard to what natural product would seal up the split ends? Chopping off is not a option.

Thanks

Does anyone have any suggestions in regard to split ends all up the loc? I do not want to cut my hair off. Any suggestion in regard to what natural product would seal up the split ends? Chopping off is not a option.

Thanks

Split ends up the loc? Do you have a picture?
Do you mean that you have a lot of loose hairs up the length of your locs or that it is actually split?
What do you put on your hair currently? Do you palm-roll or latch or are you sistalocked or freeforming? It will make a difference in how I respond.

SoulElegance

Split ends up the loc? Do you have a picture?
Do you mean that you have a lot of loose hairs up the length of your locs or that it is actually split?
What do you put on your hair currently? Do you palm-roll or latch or are you sistalocked or freeforming? It will make a difference in how I respond.
There is like hair sticking out on the entire loc. Split ends. Little hairs. I am twisting. I use natural shampoo that I make myself. I use oil on the scalp which I make myself. I use mango and lime gel and at times twist with natural aloe cream. I got beeswax but do not really want to use that.

I forgot to ask how long have you been locked.
For my first set of locks, it wasn't until my hair was completely locked and had compacted that I didn't have stray split hairs sticking out of my locs.
That was at about the 1.5 to 2 year mark :yep:
Those products you list are good, definitely stay away from the beeswax.

SoulElegance

I forgot to ask how long have you been locked.
For my first set of locks, it wasn't until my hair was completely locked and had compacted that I didn't have stray split hairs sticking out of my locs.
That was at about the 1.5 to 2 year mark :yep:
Those products you list are good, definitely stay away from the beeswax.
I have been loc'ing since february. I guess this just might be part of the process :look: and it will get it's act together as it continues to grow. Slowly. :yawn: