Tips on Using up the Product Junkyard

inthepink

This post is for all recovering Product Junkies or anyone else who has a bunch of products that they don't plan on using again but can't figure out what to do with them. Some of these are old and some of these are new. Feel free to add on to the list.

Conditioners
*Use them for shaving.
*Pre-Shampoo Treatment - mix in some oils first
*Make a body scrub or foot scrub out of them by adding sea salt or ground rice
*Moisturizing Sprays

Shampoos
*Use as hand soap
*Use to wash delicates
*Use to mop the floor

Gels
*Use as a shaving gel

Pomades & Grease
*Use as a foot moisturizer - slather on feet and put on cotton socks

Butters & Oils
*Mix oils in the butters and add eos to make a body butter.
*Use the oils to moisturize with after shower
*Add the oils to your bath to moisturize your skin

Other possibilities:
*Give to friends/neighbors/family
*Give to women's shelter
*Return those with receipt to the store (if a lot is left)

I hope these are helpful!

jainygirl

Very helpful suggestions Hairlove
thanks for the ideas. I'm not a PJ but i do have some products that just didnt work out for me. now i have uses for them. thanks again. -- jainygirl

ubavka123

Great suggestions! I use my unwanted conditioners as a pre-shampoo treatment mixed with eo's! I also use them for co washes on my daughter's hair. I am almost done using up my unwanted stuff. I gave my unwanted shampoos to my husband and to my mother. Only staples from here on out!!!

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Heads up on the idea, hairlove. I use the shampoos for washing dishes, or washing my underwear. The conditioner for shaving is also an excellent idea. Another idea I might try is using the conditioner mixed with some oil to use as a moisturizer for the body in the shower. Thanx alot, girl! </font>

Tai

Thanks for the tips, Hairlove.
I usually pass on what doesn't work for me either to friends or trade it at a hair meeting.
Taking things back is a good option. I've done it on a few occasions.

LEOLADYSW

I gave my unwanted cheap products and an old pistol hair dryer to my aunt. She was happy, and so was I.

I gave my Caruso steam rollers, curling iron, and extra comb blow dryer to my nieces. God knows what they did with them.

inthepink

I'm going to have to figure out what to do with my Caruso's....I do not think they will do anything for me when I'm all natural.

amy1234

good ideas..-also wanted to add:
*mix conditioners for optimum results
(when trying to use up conditioners that only gave satisfactory results)

LEOLADYSW

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I'm going to have to figure out what to do with my Caruso's....I do not think they will do anything for me when I'm all natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can still use them if you press your hair. At least that is what I think I remember from the brochure.

Tai

I've heard that they don't cause the hair to revert. I guess you'd have to try it on a day when you can fix it or stay in if it doesn't work.

Leslie_C

they probably would make the hair revert bc Im relaxed but they make my hair frizzy in humid FL(worked great in TN). I threw mine away but wish I would have tried to experiment more before giving up.

Leslie_C

yeah this is a great thread...lol @ "product junkyard", that about sums up my huge tupperware containers of stuff...

LEOLADYSW

I looked up the old threads on Caruso curlers, and I am correct. Pressed naturals can easily use them.

If your hair reverts and/or frizzes while using them, while you are still in the house, you can have one of several issues.

Overfilling the container - causing sputtering.
Steaming the rollers too long - making the rollers wet rather than hot/steamed.
Removing the rollers from the hair before the rollers are dry - not allowing the steam to finish penetrating and the curls to set.

Do not overfill the container. If anything, underfill the container a bit.

Try steaming the rollers for 7 seconds or less.
Leave the rollers in until they are completely dry.
Using end papers will ensure the ends are smooth on the roller and create a better set.

I don't take this wrong, but often we abandon a good product - not because it does not really work, but because we don't know how to properly use it to get the best benefits from it.

You guys continue to help me in so many ways, I want to see naturals/relaxed folks have the proper knowledge to use a product that will benefit them.

blue_flower

Great thread! I never though of using my old products for other uses. I was just going to throw them straight into the garbage.

amy1234

the caruso rollers will work on natural hair. I use them often but to help prevent the reversion it helps to apply a curling wax to the hair prior rolling the hair up

Leslie_C

wou a pomade work in place of the curling wax? who makes an actual curling wax? Im not natural but my hair still reverts in humidity if Im wearing it in any style.