TO LAYER...TO NOT LAYER IS THE QUESTION

kennedy1

KIKI
LADIES I WANT TO LAYER MY HAIR...IT IS ALMOST MID BACK LENGTH AND I AM NOT SURE IF I WANT LONG LAYERS OR NOT...I HEAR PEOPLE SAY THAT IT IS HARD TO GROW HAIR BACK AFTER LAYERING...WHAT DO YOU LADIES THINK? I MEAN I WANT MY HAIR TO KEEP GROW LONGER BUT WANTED A CHANGE BUT NOT ONE THAT WILL HINDER GROWTH SO HELP...TO LAYER OR NOT TO LAYER IS THE QUESTION!:wallbash:

I have layers and after 3 years I still haven't grown tired of them. I went from above neck length to BSL and they give my hair a very nice style. I had a somewhat blunt MBL cut for years and I got so bored that I chopped it all off. I wish I had thought to layer it! :wallbash: Then I might even be WSL by now. :sad:

There's good and bad layers. I don't like mine so they're a hindrance. I think if you like them, you can rock them happily. Make sure you research the place and know where you're going so you don't end up with a cut you have to grow out, or if you do it yourself I hope you don't cut it in a way that you have to start over and grow them out. That's my dilemma and now I have to just deal with it.

I love layers. I have an appointment on Thursday to "freshen them up". I haven't had a problem growing them out. I made sure my stylist made the shortest layer long enough for me to catch in a bun/ponytail so that I still had some styling options for lazy/protective days. I love the way they add a little style to my hair without sacrificing length.

There's good and bad layers. I don't like mine so they're a hindrance. I think if you like them, you can rock them happily. Make sure you research the place and know where you're going so you don't end up with a cut you have to grow out, or if you do it yourself I hope you don't cut it in a way that you have to start over and grow them out. That's my dilemma and now I have to just deal with it.

Good point. Decide whether you want deep layers (which are stylish but harder to grow out) or just soft ones to add a little depth. You may want to start with soft layers and work your way up. That's what I did. :yep:

I am getting my hair cut into long layers next week...second try as the first resulted in my hair being cut 3 inches, but with no visible layers to speak of!!!

I have layers and after 3 years I still haven't grown tired of them. I went from above neck length to BSL and they give my hair a very nice style. I had a somewhat blunt MBL cut for years and I got so bored that I chopped it all off. I wish I had thought to layer it! :wallbash: Then I might even be WSL by now. :sad:

Me too. The layers I have now are from the short cut that I had. As my hair grows, the layers are growing right along with it. I will probably always have layers because my hair is fine and it helps lend body and movement. :yep: Be forewarned though...it may take a long time for them to grow out.

ETA: I will say that it's easier to judge progress with blunt hair. :yep:

Last edited:
I love the look of layers but i will never get them ON PURPOSE ever again. I had them once, which was fine, but when i went in for a trim and wanted to freshen them up, this lady tried giving me a style and hacked off alot of hair while also managing to give me the jennifer aniston look - nothing against her but i wanted to puke - so for me layers and trimming dont mix.
right now i have accidental layers - old bangs that are now up to my chin, and longer layers due to old relaxer/overprocessing damage.
again - i think they look great, they are just not for me - too chicken

I love the look of layers but i will never get them ON PURPOSE ever again. I had them once, which was fine, but when i went in for a trim and wanted to freshen them up, this lady tried giving me a style and hacked off alot of hair while also managing to give me the jennifer aniston look - nothing against her but i wanted to puke - so for me layers and trimming dont mix.
right now i have accidental layers - old bangs that are now up to my chin, and longer layers due to old relaxer/overprocessing damage.
again - i think they look great, they are just not for me - too chicken

Getting a trim with layers can be a little tricky. Getting layers is tricky period. You have to find someone who really knows what they're doing. :yep:

I have long soft layers and love them...LOVE them. My face is long so I have to have something framing it, just longish doesn't work for me...oh and I am growing out my bangs but just until they get long enough to tuck behind my ear then they will blend with the rest and that's where I will keep it. Well unless I cut it all off...LOL!

Make sure to post pix cuz you know we wanna see! Good luck, too!

I have layers because I bced and it grew into these retarded layer things. It's kind of annoying now, but I'm sure it will look nice on longer hair. I'm just waiting until my longest layer is SL (the one from the hair on the top, middle part of my head) and then I will be happy. I'll probably then straighten and get them evened up.

Back