To stretch or not to stretch . . .

Glib Gurl

So I am 10 weeks post-relaxer. I have at least half an inch of ng (maybe more). Although my hair is hella wavy, I'm thinking of stretching for another few weeks . . . because I've been conditioning my hair so much, it is quite manageable . . . and I can just wear my hair curly for the next couple of weeks to hide the fact that I have a bunch on ng . . . .

What do you think?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
That's what I'm doing. I had forgotten how wonderful Mane N' Tail is but I love using the conditioner as either a leave-in, mixed with some light oil; or, as a conditioner. Makes my 15 week post-relaxed NG very soft and manageable. I also purchased the MNT Detangling spray and added some castor oil and avocado oil to the mix. That works as well...

Good luck! :wave:

camosil

I believe in stretching because it results in healthier, thicker hair. Some advice is needed though. I relaxed with Phyto Index I, 5 weeks ago and it left some parts of my hair texlaxed and some underprocessed. I stretched for 11 weeks so I had thick growth, therefore my hair was resistant to the milder relaxer. Now I am wondering if to stick with phyto Index I or go back to Phtyo Index II which got my hair very straight the last time but with texture.
I am afraid if I use Index I it will cause a lot breakage.
Right now I am experiencing a little shedding, but I wash every three days which helps to keep it moisturized.
Do you have any advice for me as what to do to prevent any breakage or shedding before twelve weeks.

Thanks Ladies.

TLC1020

I say if you can do it, by any means keep stretching until you feel that you can't stretch anymore.. Right now I'm just about 7 weeks and will be going 12 weeks and thats my max, that's enough for me b/c my hair begin to tangle at the roots and shedd...

MiWay

If you think you can do it, I say go for it. Your hair will thank you in the long run. As long as you aren't shedding/breaking, you should be good.

dillard

yeah, if it's still manageable and not breaking off, GO for it :yep: I'm almost 9 weeks now and I actually really like how my hair feels right now, really strong and thick. i wash every 2-3 days and rollerset and that works for me so far.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Go for it. Im at 18 weeks, I never thought I would ever make it. Im going to November trying to see if I can do it till December. Im in twists now. Like the Ladies say, your hair will thank you for it. I know you can do it.

Glib Gurl

Go for it. Im at 18 weeks, I never thought I would ever make it. Im going to November trying to see if I can do it till December. Im in twists now. Like the Ladies say, your hair will thank you for it. I know you can do it.

WHOA! That is amazing - how are you wearing your hair these days - the same way as your icon?

I just made an appointment for next Friday - so I will be stretching for another 2 weeks, going for 11 weeks total. :yep:

Cleve_gryl

yeah, if it's still manageable and not breaking off, GO for it :yep: I'm almost 9 weeks now and I actually really like how my hair feels right now, really strong and thick. i wash every 2-3 days and rollerset and that works for me so far.

ITA, I'm at 10 today and plan to go to 16 this stretch. My NG feels a little crunchy right now, but I just need to moisturize it. Consistent DCs and rollersets every 3-4 days is keeping me sane :look:

MzShay

I'm at 12 weeks....first time since being relaxed 12 years ago that I've went longer than 5 weeks without a relaxer...I was going for 12 weeks but so not ready to relax yet...thinking maybe 16 which should put me at first week of November. I've been consistent with weekly DC and co-washing so my NG is managable.

Tamrin

unapologetic
WHOA! That is amazing - how are you wearing your hair these days - the same way as your icon?

I just made an appointment for next Friday - so I will be stretching for another 2 weeks, going for 11 weeks total. :yep:

yup as you see it in the AV. Just got them done on Sunday. Im glad I did. If you twist you may be able to go longer. My first stretch was almost 12 weeks with no twist just bunning. But I know you can do it just do low manipulation

Eisani

After joining this forum and mentally taking stock of what I've been doing for a while, it's easy to take stretching for granted. ITA, if there are no ill effect i.e. shedding/breakage etc, go for it! I've done 6 month stretches before but that was just too long. I decided on 13 week stretches, but now that I'm nearing that 13 week mark, I'm not ready to texlax and I'm gonna shoot for 16-20 weeks. I'm quite content w/my hair right now I guess. I made the 1st statement because today a lady was talking about stretching her relaxer and she said she was gonna stretch to 6 weeks. I said "16?" She looked at me like I'd just asked her to go smoke a rock w/me in the restroom and said "no, 6 weeks." I just said "oh." What else was there to say? She gets a super relaxer every 4 weeks! IMHO no matter the hair texture, I just don't think it's necessary to relax that often!

Glib Gurl

Six weeks? Yikes . . . I'm surprised she had any hair at all! I have an aunt that would get relaxers every 2-3 weeks . . . I have no clue how she looks now, though . . . .

shunta

Im agreeing with everyone else...if your newgrowth is manageable and you dont have a lot of breakage, girl I would stretch like its no tomorrow.:yep:

divinefavor

ITA with everyone else. Girl, stretch until you can't take it anymore. If you don't see any breakage or excessive shedding then go for it! :yep: I am almost 18 weeks post (would have been this coming Friday). But, I'm going to relax tomorrow. I can't take it anymore! :lachen: I was scheduled to get another sew in next week, but I had to cancel. I'm going to go ahead and get a touch up. I wanted to stretch until 24 weeks, but my new growth is starting to tangle around itself. After this touch up, I'm going to learn how to manage the new growth better and hopefully will be able to stretch until 24weeks the next go round. I think the longest I've ever stretched was 19 or 20 weeks.

Allandra

If you can stretch without any damage to your hair, go for it.

If you can't stretch without any damage to your hair, go for a touch up.

Stretching definitely isn't for everyone.

MizAvalon

I think if you can do it, go for it. I honestly believe that more people can stretch but just aren't using the proper poducts to help them. if your new growth is manageable, then do it! :)