HELP ME STRETCH! i may perm any min!!!

knottyaaverage

my last touchup was dec. 5th. the newgrowth is ridiculous and hella thick. i've been wearing my everyday updo with a satin scarf around the edges like a headband, but now it's looking bad. my hair and ng feels fine, but my hair looks dry not shiny. i've been putting ors olive oil on it but it hasn't been helping. my updo has me looking like a mr. softee vanilla ice cream or a conehead. it's just sitting on top of my head because the ng is so thick. my hair seems healthier but i don't know if its just cuz of the ng :perplexed and i want to stretch for about 2 more weeks. any suggestions?

you might want to try Naturallady's product Boundless Tresses, since I've been using it, my new growth is staying moisturized, shiny, and soft, and it used to always be dry.

Miss Nina said:
you might want to try Naturallady's product Boundless Tresses, since I've been using it, my new growth is staying moisturized, shiny, and soft, and it used to always be dry.

i have a bottle of mtg, i took some of it's oil, coconut oil and the rest is sulfur and it keeps my hair welll moisturized:p . i also use wgo and stay so sof hair spray to keep my hair moist. it still looks dry tho. womp. thanx tho;)

loveable37 said:
I am goin to be such a big help but try find a hairstyle tha cause less sytlin.

i think that's the most low maintenence style i could do right now. i barely comb or touch my hair. but what would you suggest?

Dont do it! Dont do it!!! Go and buy some Beyond the Zone Stiff Head and brush it on your hair line, pull your hair back in one for the next two weeks. The Stiff Head really is amazing....

I'm trying to stretch too. My last touch up was Dec 2nd. I have a ton of new growth and I'm dying to perm. I'm trying to make it to ten weeks so maybe we could be each other's stretch buddy. :)

sweetcashew said:
I'm trying to stretch too. My last touch up was Dec 2nd. I have a ton of new growth and I'm dying to perm. I'm trying to make it to ten weeks so maybe we could be each other's stretch buddy. :)

aww kool. i'm down to be stretch buddies :cheers:so keep in contact with me and pm me with ur progress . in the meantime how's ur ng coming along? i need help taming. i don't really want to get any more products but this bed head stuff has been getting quite the buzz. any suggestions for styles or techniques?

What relaxer are you using? It must be very mild because I use a mild one and my newgrowth is hella thick after just a few weeks, too.:perplexed

knottyaaverage said:
aww kool. i'm down to be stretch buddies :cheers:so keep in contact with me and pm me with ur progress . in the meantime how's ur ng coming along? i need help taming. i don't really want to get any more products but this bed head stuff has been getting quite the buzz. any suggestions for styles or techniques?

My new growth is not behaving at all. Normally it'll stay straight until the next wash but now it's reverting in a day or so. I'm going to have to start wearing curly styles. I don't think it'll be that bad. Braids outs should be a good style to rock now. That way you won't have to do too much manipulation and you can basically leave the new growth untouched.
I did update my album to show the new growth I'm working with.

sweetcashew said:

I know how you feel. I tried to stretch to 10 weeks(my usual) but could not make it because of all this ng came in strong at 8 weeks. I permed today and I think I got about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I wish I can show pics but of course, I'm on all these challenges:D I also wanted to perm now so I can stretch to my normal time which is 10 weeks and will be just in time for the hide hair til april fools challenge progress pics.

ETA: I viewed your pics in your fotki and that is alot of newgrowth and it's also very pretty.

Last edited:
OMG, I am in the same boat. I stretched for 9 weeks the last time and I am going for 10 this time. I am at 8 weeks now and it is misery. I washed today and it was torture but hang in there girl.

My last relaxer was Nov 29th and I'm trying to reach 12wks so I know the feeling. Last night for Wed wash, I decided to rollerset. I dried it for about 35 min and then went to bed so that it would finish drying over night. I will admit that the magnetic rollers were sooo uncomfortable. Since I'm in the "Hide your hair" I applied some some serum and glossing cream, smoothed it out with my hands and put it in a loose bun, leaving some hair/bang out in the front. This looks so much better because I can hide some of ng around the front and sides. Before I was just pulling it all the way back on Wed letting it dry in a bun under the dryer which I hated the look. Using lot's of moisturizing cond and roller setting it really helps smooth the ng. A rollerset bun looks better on me than my hair plastered flat on my head.

I have successfully made it to 3 months.. and I think the key for me to stretch and going that long without relaxing is moisture moisture moisture. I wash/dc my hair every 3-4 days. I also rollerset.. while wet(after my wash/dc) I apply Optimum tangle defense leave in conditioner, a few squirts of setting lotion spray(perm repair), then I comb the new growth and hair by section and put in magnetic rollers, the heat from the dome dryer helps straighten the new growth to make it more manageable for me to work with. I daily moisturize and seal with oils.. this has gotten me to 3 months.. but I plan on not going any longer than that. In about a year I may try stretching to 4 months but I am happy with just 3mths for now!:) hth.

Last edited:
I'm 16 weeks post w/2 1/2 more weeks to go. I wear my hair curly around this time and usually don't comb until wash days(every 2wks). What I've been doing lately is spraying Scurl on my roots it helps w/the dryness and detangling

sweetcashew said:
My new growth is not behaving at all. Normally it'll stay straight until the next wash but now it's reverting in a day or so. I'm going to have to start wearing curly styles. I don't think it'll be that bad. Braids outs should be a good style to rock now. That way you won't have to do too much manipulation and you can basically leave the new growth untouched.
I did update my album to show the new growth I'm working with.

Sweet, I wish that I was working with ng like that. Have you tried sylver2's scarf technique. If you wear your hair like that with the part, it should really help. Step away from the creamy crack!!!!

janeemat said:
My last relaxer was Nov 29th and I'm trying to reach 12wks so I know the feeling. Last night for Wed wash, I decided to rollerset. I dried it for about 35 min and then went to bed so that it would finish drying over night. I will admit that the magnetic rollers were sooo uncomfortable. Since I'm in the "Hide your hair" I applied some some serum and glossing cream, smoothed it out with my hands and put it in a loose bun, leaving some hair/bang out in the front. This looks so much better because I can hide some of ng around the front and sides. Before I was just pulling it all the way back on Wed letting it dry in a bun under the dryer which I hated the look. Using lot's of moisturizing cond and roller setting it really helps smooth the ng. A rollerset bun looks better on me than my hair plastered flat on my head.

You must be my hair twin...Ditto! I also use sta-sof-fro on my new growth and pin curl at night.

I also relaxed in december and got a gang of new growth. Last 2 days or so my head has been like :burn: Haven't measured it or anything but it looks to be about 1/2 inch of new growth up there in most places which is not normal for me so early.

So i guess, I got a growth spurt. So far its behaving ok but I'm kinda dreading this next wash day (last one was not a very happy one either)

-A

Did we all get the same surprise Christmas present? I relaxed on Dec1 and I can usually stretch 3 mos. The new growth is out of control right now. I am sitting with my pre-poo in so I can get ready to was and cornrow my hair. My suggestion is to avoid combing. HTH!

I also relaxed on December and i have more newgrowth than i usually have in a month and 1/2 ,but Scurl is really helping me lot and i plan on purchasing the ic gel when they get worse

tgaski2 said:
Did we all get the same surprise Christmas present? I relaxed on Dec1 and I can usually stretch 3 mos. The new growth is out of control right now. I am sitting with my pre-poo in so I can get ready to was and cornrow my hair. My suggestion is to avoid combing. HTH!

LOL I'm wondering too! I still comb every 3-4 days which keeps me from dealing with the new growth too much and I use Care Free Curl Gold. Thats been my staple (which I deviated from and went back to) but dunno, its like I already need to relax and its not even been that long... I'm still dreading wash day tho and wish I could prepoo!

-A

is it me or does it seem like everyone keeps mentioning my hair. i'm hiding my hair for the next two weeks, and this week it has just gotten ridiculous with the comments. "why don't u wear your hair down?" "i haven't seen ur hair for months" "u need to get ur hair done and stop wearing those hats". i mean this pressure is getting tiresome.........oy veh:(

sweetcashew said:

My last perm was December 1st. I am now in braids so I plan on making a twelve week stretch. I just got braids two weeks ago because I couldn't take the new growth. Since I have been in braids. I am doing great. My hair is still growing but those terrible edges are no longer as bothersome. My suggestion for anyone who wants to stretch is to get braids (no micros) just medium size. I use Sulfur 8 braid sheen, Sulfur 8 grease on edges and boundless tresses Hair growth serum. My hair is growing like crazy! If you want to be stretch buddies let me know! I can't wait until April Fools to post pictures! I am on a hide your hair challenge!

Back