To Those 'Naturals' Who Press Your Hair

TwistNMx

In the past I've used Chi Silk Infusion and before that Ion Heat protectant.
I rarely straighten my hair...mostly to check my ends for trimming, etc.
Well it's about time for me to do it again but for some reason the last few times I've had a lot of hair on the floor. SO, I think maybe I'm using the wrong products and need ideas.
Please share with me (if you will) what you use to press your hair and if you include heat protectant and all the juicy details.
Oh, and do you use a flat iron or straightening comb?
Thanks
HP

moni_kerr

Well I use a flat iron and me being the person that I am I use a lot of different products lol :grin:. I don't know why but I just cannot jump on that 'less is more' bandwagon haha. Well I use beyond the zone straight shot on wet hair before and then i either blow dry or air dry. After that I spray beyond the zone turn up the heat for heat protection. Then I add some silk 'n shine heat protectent serum for more heat protection + shine to each peice of hair before I go over it with the iron. Then I finish off with the chi silk infusion ..oor I'll use it before I go over my hair with the iron. 3/4 products for straightening are good for me! haha probably because I can't chose just one! :drunk:

AsTheCurlzTurns

Well I use a flat iron and me being the person that I am I use a lot of different products lol :grin:. I don't know why but I just cannot jump on that 'less is more' bandwagon haha. Well I use beyond the zone straight shot on wet hair before and then i either blow dry or air dry. After that I spray beyond the zone turn up the heat for heat protection. Then I add some silk 'n shine heat protectent serum for more heat protection + shine to each peice of hair before I go over it with the iron. Then I finish off with the chi silk infusion ..oor I'll use it before I go over my hair with the iron. 3/4 products for straightening are good for me! haha probably because I can't chose just one! :drunk:

Ohhh this sounds great!! Going to keep this info for future reference, when I get to the point of flat-ironing my hair down the line. Thanx!

laketta

My hair hates products so buildup even after washing it is too easy for me. So I use a light leave in conditioner. I now use maxiglide because of the steam feature. When I do this and press in small sections (it takes longer) but you lose less hair.

Last edited:

glamazon386

Less is more. My stylist doesn't use anything on my hair wen he gets to the actual flat ironing part. I doubt the hair you're seeing on the floor has anything to do with the products. Either they're shed hairs that are coming out or they're hairs that are breaking off.

Nola Darling

I agree. Less is more. To make up for it I super deep condition my hair. I like to use Pantene R&N but use whatever makes your hair feel great.

To me, the most important part of getting the hair straight is the blowdrying part. I've found that using Sunsilk Creme before I blow out reduces the amount of hair that I lose because it helps my hair slip through the comb. I use a Denman for blow it out after detangling. Oh yeah, I also use VO5 Heat Defense on my ends.

HTH

AsTheCurlzTurns

Less is more. My stylist doesn't use anything on my hair wen he gets to the actual flat ironing part. I doubt the hair you're seeing on the floor has anything to do with the products. Either they're shed hairs that are coming out or they're hairs that are breaking off.

Wow that is news to me seeing that countless posts stress to use a heat protectant before using a flat iron. So since you're seeing a stylist, does this mean that it's not necessary to use a heat protectant at all then? Or is that for just a specific hair type or the condition of the hair? I'm not saying this is bad at all, I'm just learning as I go, since I'm supposed to forget everything I knew before joining LHCF and start over LOL.

glamazon386

Wow that is news to me seeing that countless posts stress to use a heat protectant before using a flat iron. So since you're seeing a stylist, does this mean that it's not necessary to use a heat protectant at all then? Or is that for just a specific hair type or the condition of the hair? I'm not saying this is bad at all, I'm just learning as I go, since I'm supposed to forget everything I knew before joining LHCF and start over LOL.

I think sometimes being on this site can make you paranoid about damage. He uses the heat protectant on wet hair before blowdrying if he uses it at all. My hair always comes out light and blows in the wind with no products. And it reverts fine when I wash it. Heat protectants have only been around for the last few years anyway. If you are using your flat iron on the right temperature your hair will not get burned. The heat protectant is supposed to protect your hair from excessive heat. You shouldn't be putting excessive heat on your hair in the first place. If the iron is smoking or you smell the burnt hair smell the iron is too hot period. Heat protectant may not even save it then.

Also, If he sprays it on the hair between blow drying and flat ironing it defeats the purpose. It undos the blowdrying and will make my hair revert. When he tried a heat protectant serum once (the salon had some new products he wanted to try out on me) for whatever reason it made my hair revert faster. And it weighed the hair down some. Even when I tried the serum at home it made my hair fuzzy/puffy after a while. I prefer how my hair feels without them. As long as the iron isn't too hot, I'm good. I also DC before I do anything with heat. I haven't had any problems.

Nola Darling

I think sometimes being on this site can make you paranoid about damage. He uses the heat protectant on wet hair before blowdrying if he uses it at all. My hair always comes out light and blows in the wind with no products. And it reverts fine when I wash it. Heat protectants have only been around for the last few years anyway. If you are using your flat iron on the right temperature your hair will not get burned. The heat protectant is supposed to protect your hair from excessive heat. You shouldn't be putting excessive heat on your hair in the first place. If the iron is smoking or you smell the burnt hair smell the iron is too hot period. Heat protectant may not even save it then.

Also, If he sprays it on the hair between blow drying and flat ironing it defeats the purpose. It undos the blowdrying and will make my hair revert. When he tried a heat protectant serum once (the salon had some new products he wanted to try out on me) for whatever reason it made my hair revert faster. And it weighed the hair down some. Even when I tried the serum at home it made my hair fuzzy/puffy after a while. I prefer how my hair feels without them. As long as the iron isn't too hot, I'm good. I also DC before I do anything with heat. I haven't had any problems.

Yeah, I think that part is very important.

AsTheCurlzTurns

Ohhhh this makes soooo much sense!!! Thanx so much for clarifying this for me gurlie!! And you're right about no need of excessive heat on the hair, which makes me think of where and why the heat protectant came in. Some may be in the thinking that they can use all the heat they want while using a heat protectant every single time. Hmmmm, I guess for some it's where the breakage will start coming in at, huh?

LynnieB

i believe the effects of heat accumulate over time and show up eventually as crispy, rough ends and splits. i'm trying to grow my hair out so risking damage to the oldest part of my hair will have me constantly trimming off my progress.

Everyone does thing differently and not everyone has problems.

But i'm greedy and determined to reach my goal in the shortest amount of time so i always use some kind of heat protectant.

tdwillis

Wow, I am the queen of heat protectants. After I wash and condition, I spay with Aveda Damage Control or Nexxus heat Protectant and blow dry. Then I use a serum or FHI Hot Sauce before I flat iron. I only do this once a week. The rest of the week, I use no heat.

glamazon386

Ohhhh this makes soooo much sense!!! Thanx so much for clarifying this for me gurlie!! And you're right about no need of excessive heat on the hair, which makes me think of where and why the heat protectant came in. Some may be in the thinking that they can use all the heat they want while using a heat protectant every single time. Hmmmm, I guess for some it's where the breakage will start coming in at, huh?

Exactly. Even with a heat protectant you still shouldn't be using excessive heat.

NuMe2004

I've said this before so many times, but I'll say it again. ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Lotion rocks :rocker:!!!

I use a small amount of ORS to moisturize my hair before blow drying. Then I flat iron on high heat. You really need to find the right balance of heat and moisture for your hair so that it doesn't revert easily once straightened. I notice that I lose less hair (or none at all) when I take my time and straighten small sections at a time.

I'd also like to add that the young lady who mentioned deep conditioning the hair prior to straightening is right in that it does help strengthen and prepare your hair for styling in addition to adding heat protectant. Yet, I've found that my hair can feel limp when I do it right before flat ironing, so I don't do it every time I straighten.

PS. I also use ORS to moisturize my natural curls. It is my one-stop product, for it preps my hair for straight and wet n' wild styles :).

Tenacious

Well first off, I don't use a bunch of serums, heat sprays and other products when I flat-iron. In turn, using too many products can not only make straightening harder, causing you to cause more heat damage, but it adds dried up build-up on the hair shaft and that causes breakage.

I only use one heat spray (Tresemme Heat Protector) on wet hair when I blowout my hair. I deep condition prior to the service to make my hair stronger and more resistant to damage.

This creates a more efficient straightening than serums, for me, because serums sit on top of the hair shaft and though they make my hair straight, its quite sticky and stiff and not loose and swingy. Serums also add buildup on the flat-iron (that yucky black stuff on the plates) and that caused breakage for my hair (because I paid it no mind).

Joico makes an excellent serum/heat protector that doesn't leave build up. But I stand by heat sprays because they're like leave-in moisturizers and not a "oil-based" protector that seals out moisture.

glamazon386

Well first off, I don't use a bunch of serums, heat sprays and other products when I flat-iron. In turn, using too many products can not only make straightening harder, causing you to cause more heat damage, but it adds dried up build-up on the hair shaft and that causes breakage.

I only use one heat spray (Tresemme Heat Protector) on wet hair when I blowout my hair. I deep condition prior to the service to make my hair stronger and more resistant to damage.

This creates a more efficient straightening than serums, for me, because serums sit on top of the hair shaft and though they make my hair straight, its quite sticky and stiff and not loose and swingy. Serums also add buildup on the flat-iron (that yucky black stuff on the plates) and that caused breakage for my hair (because I paid it no mind).

Joico makes an excellent serum/heat protector that doesn't leave build up. But I stand by heat sprays because they're like leave-in moisturizers and not a "oil-based" protector that seals out moisture.

I would agree with this. A lot of times the products we use burn and can fry your hair in the process.

AsTheCurlzTurns

Yikes!! More good info here!! I'mma say it again, I feel like i'm taking a cosmetology course when I'm all up in here LOL
Thanx ladies :)

Puddles

On Cloud 9
[size=+1] My stylist "only" sprays a lil leave in conditioner in before blow drying.....that's it. My hair never burns and it's bouncy and soft. [/size]

Fine 4s

Bounciness was never a problem for my stylist to achieve. But the heat damage she was a pro at!

I remember someone bringing up the idea of 'cooking' the heat protectant in the hair. I believe they were pro putting the heat protectant AFTER blow drying. But in my case, spraying a liquid onto hair before flat ironing or pressing sounds bad. Sizzle, sizzle....

When I'm ready to straighten again, sometime either this summer or at the end of the year, I'll definitely need a step by step process involving do's and dont's...

LynnieB

Bounciness was never a problem for my stylist to achieve. But the heat damage she was a pro at!

I remember someone bringing up the idea of 'cooking' the heat protectant in the hair. I believe they were pro putting the heat protectant AFTER blow drying. But in my case, spraying a liquid onto hair before flat ironing or pressing sounds bad. Sizzle, sizzle....

When I'm ready to straighten again, sometime either this summer or at the end of the year, I'll definitely need a step by step process involving do's and dont's...

:yep: that's why i use different protectants. i prefer water based ones just before i blowdry or blowout cause they evaporate cleanly and cream based if i'm gonna use a flatiron (especially on my ends) - they leave the hair nice and smooth.

no sizzle-sizzles :grin:

for coco- i don't straighten that much. i guess once every 3-4 months or the occasional length check.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
But in my case, spraying a liquid onto hair before flat ironing or pressing sounds bad. Sizzle, sizzle....

[size=+1]That is so true. This has happened to my friend. I never had sizzle, fried, or burning hair. Thank Goodness!!!
The last thing my stylist puts on my hair after pressing and styling is......Silk n Shine by Barry Fletcher. Love that stuff.
I haven't had it pressed since 08/07. I plan on getting it done 02/01/08.
[/size]

Tenacious

How often are you ladies straightening your hair? Thanks!

I am attempting to flat iron my hair no more than every 3 months/4x year, whichever comes first. I know I'll be doing one in June, one in September, and one in October.

I cant anytime soon cause I left my flat iron and blowout comb back home, and thats 200 miles away. Plus I'm broke, so that forces me to stay natural 24-7... I'm kinda glad I left it there....

Tenacious

It's not really that bad. It depends on what you use the protector for. If you are just blowdrying wet hair, I would spray the liquid heat protector in beforehand. If you don't blowdry with a spray protector, then you can prevent flat iron damage by using a serum. One or the other, but I would NEVER suggest using BOTH a spray and serum.

This one lady used 3 products in my hair to straighten it (spray, serum, and cream pomade) and it never straightened. I went home, washed it, and used one spray and it was 3x straighter than the salon. excessive products not only block too much heat from getting to the hair shaft (thats the purpose of using a heated appliance), but the product build up heats up even hotter than the plates and can burn hair too. I've experienced that.

Besides, why heat straighten your hair if you're gonna protect it soo much that It doesn't get "straight". Some stylists may as well put a helmet on their client since they use sooo much product. If you want ZERO heat damage, then don't flat iron your hair. Simple. But if you want straight hair, be prepared for some damage.