naturals who straighten chime in, suggestions

TheEuphioQ

i have already trimmed my hair with the same results. I'm going to now lax on the heat, this is probably my only 4th time trying to straighten within my 1.5 year of being natural, so i dont think i havent been overdoing the heat. I will just put my hair back up in braids and try it again in another month. I'm not going to keep trimming my hair until i have none.

conebread

Maybe your temp isnt high enough.. 280 you said? What hairtype are you most similar to? Are your strands thick/coarse/fine etc..

TheEuphioQ

yes , i tried over 280 as well. the curl looks pretty, but comes out as soon as i comb it and becomes all icky again:wallbash:

My ends are the same way. I'm doing more moisture and deep conditioning. I'm going to get a professional trim and then I will use the comb chase methond with chi styling tools. I think I have dry knotted ends. I also used think I used too much heat protectant. I also did not do a good blow dry. Ive found that tention helps straighten my hair towars the ends. I think a trim will just help the situation further

fluffyforever

I have the same issue. A trim is not needed unless you have a serious amount of knots on the ends. Trust me, I cut off 6 inches of hair last week and I still have the same problem of my ends locking when I air dry or blow dry. I too have 80% or more shrinkage. It is important to first get your hair almost straight before flat ironing.

I have been experimenting today, literally, and I found that blow drying on almost-pretty-darn-near dry hair in small sections with a very soft round boar bristle brush on the ends help a lot. The hair should have heat protectant and a leave-in applied before air drying. The small tooth rat tail comb doesn't do a good enough job separating all hair strands like a brush would. And right before I blow dry, I added a bit of chi silk infusion, not because it is miraculous, but because it provides a bit of slip when brushing the ends ( I want to cause minimal friction).

I didn't get to try this method on my entire head yet since I was doing so many combos of blow drying-flat ironing, air dry-comb out-flat iron, flat iron on low-comb out-flat iron high, etc.

But I hope to try again next week. Good luck finding what works for you and please keep me updated on anything you discover.

Jenn22588

i think it's technique not trimming that will help. I run into the same problem but could go to the salon and my ends will be bone straight. I haven't learned the proper technique yet because I don't straighten often but when I go to the salon, they use a lot of heat and it is usually straight before they flat iron. I haven't figured out how to get my hair straight with a blow dryer yet. Maybe mine doesn't get hot enough.