To Trim or No To Trim

LovinLocks

Went over my girlfriend's house yesterday (cosmetologist). She hadn't seen me in a while and went gah gaaa over the hair. Fast forwarding this story . . . she says, "Ooh, when you get tired of that (curly/wavy) and decide to flat iron it, mm mm mmm. Clip those ends . . .. " that's when I put my .02 in and commenced ta, "Ah aahh, no clipping these ends!" I read Cathy Howse, yaw'll. Then I go into a light-hearted tirade about how my ends are healthy, about how I have 20 condish's in my bathroom, uh ahh, my ends are the bomb, ooh ooh. So, she tells me to stretch a lock of my hair, I did. She asks me to come closer, I did, so she's feeling/looking at the ends of the lock and was like "see". Well, I didn't "see" anything. Her daughter sitting over there adding her .02. "Black folk kill me, not wanting to trim/cut their hair!!"

Here's the deal. For the most part I don't put heat in my hair. When I wear my bun I vary it's position, and I use the knee hi top as the ponytail wrapper. I co-wash on the regular. I deep condish at least weekly. I use coconut oil, Bee Mine, I don't comb my hair at all. I massage my scalp and I baggy my ends on the regular. Not saying it's impossible, but I CAN'T IMAGINE my ends "needing" clipping. But, my confidence has been shaken.

How can I KNOW if I must/need to clip ends????? I believe if it is determined that my ends "need" clipping I may do a BC with the idea of letting all my silver/white/grey do its thing. So go 'head, tell me I need to trim even an iota of this hair. It's off to the barber shop I go!

Last edited:
If you're really concerned, i say go ahead and flat iron your hair and see how your ends look. If they look split/raggedy/uneven/dry, dust them yourself. If not, then tell your friend that you know what's best for your own hair. No need to turn a trim (which to me means less than an inch) into a bc.

Back