To trim or not to trim.....that is the question!

candie19

Ladies, I hear some women say that they never trim their hair then there are those that faithfully get a trim after their re-touch. What is your method?
confused.gif

I can't remember the last time I trimmed my hair. It's been AGES, and my hair is still very healthy with seemingly no split ends. And it also grows pretty evenly.

But I'm 100% natural, and I use very little heat. So that may have something to do with it.

I can't speak about whether or not trimming is benefical if you have permed or dyed hair. Someone else will have to give you their two cents on that one.

[ QUOTE ]
PrettyBrownEyes said:
My hair seems to behave better when it's trimmed regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! I keep my ends trimmed plus it looks much better that way! Matter of fact Im on my way over there to Cost cutters to get my $10 dust trim!

I trim regularly. My hair has had a tendency to knot, and trimming is like preventative maintenance for me.

since i'm trying to grow it, i only get mine trimmed when needed, which is twice a year or so. i think that's why i've been able to accumulate more length because my hair does not grow fast!

Re: To trim or not to trim.....that is the questio

I agree with Adrienne on trimming when needed and that coming out to about 2 good trims per year. Also JRW who recently posted a new pic does not trim her hair at all. If she sees a split then she trims that split and that's it! Look at how LONG her hair is too
smile.gif

my stylist makes me get a trim every time I get a relaxer which is evry 6-8 weeks.I tend to get splits in certain areas easily even tho I dont use heat.

im a firm believer on trims. I normally get a trim from the salon every 6/8 or 12 weeks. my ends tend to split more in the front even though I dont use heat either. yes, you do see how much progress some are making stretching their trims out and their hair is still healthy. my last trim was 6 weeks ago. Ive been considering stretching my trims for a minute now. my next trim will be in march. Lord give me strength. It seems like when I dont trim regularly I go crazy.
spinning.gif

I'll post in march to let everyone know if it did good or bad. I think I should be ok. I use minimul direct heat.

I don't think that I get a lot of split ends, but I love the look of fresh, nicely cut hair. I trim about 3 times per year. I try to get relaxers every 8+ weeks and I trim with every other relaxer.

To be honest, I've looked at some people's pics that are posted in their signature and the first thing I think is, "MY GOSH! She needs to cut those ends!".
ohwell.gif

Here's my anti-scissor happy thread where I professed my true feelings about trimming.

Many of us here on the board don't believe in trimming for the sake of trimming--only as needed. Even if the ends don't look perfectly even and thick, it doesn't mean they're damaged or need to be trimmed. I can't recall seeing anyone's pics on the board that looked like they needed a trim
smirk.gif

Scissor Happy/Trimming Thread

i just got a trim three weeks ago or so after not having one in a year. Only 1/4 of an inch was necessary. I was determined to see what would happen w/o trimming. when i was natural, i trimmed once a year as well. even if you don't use heat, damage to your ends can still occur via(brushing, combing, manipulating,hair products that are drying), but just less damage than if you used heat.

I use to get a trim every time I realxed until the dry damaged part of my hair was all cut out, now my stylist even says I don't need a trim so I haven't gotten one in over 6 months ( and I'm not sure might be longer) but my ends are staying split end FREE...so I'm happy.

The ONLY thing I did about a month ago was barely trim my sides, because they are shorter they frame my face and they were looking raggedy

I think I will probably trim 2 times a year now because the damage is cut out and I hopefully will keep my hair well moisturized.....

I trim, my hair every two to three months. My hair has a tendency to knot. So the trimming helps stop the knotting. It depends on your hair really and I don't think there is a hard or fast rule really.

Re: To trim or not to trim....that is the question

Supergirl, thanks for sharing your thread. I agree with you and think that many stylists are scissor-happy. When I said that some people need a good trim, I'm mentally referring to those who had damaged hair to start, and haven't removed that hair before continuing on their quest for healthly hair. You mentioned this in your post, and I agree.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Valerie said:
It depends on your hair really and I don't think there is a hard or fast rule really.

[/ QUOTE ] Also, it depends on your preference. I don't trim to primarily remove split ends, I do it for the "esthetics" of trimming. If hair is a little uneven and has curl or bump to it, it's OK. But if it is really uneven, to me, its unsightly.

I guess that's why I'll likely never have "waist length" as a goal! It may take me too long to get there based on my trimming schedule!
laugh.gif

Thanks again Supergirl... your hair is great, and I have already planned to curb my trimming schedule after joining this board!!

I just read the rest of the thread on scissor happy stylists and I fully agree that most stylists try to "upsell" cuts and trims for the extra money!
smile.gif

I think its okay to dust the ends everynow and then to avoid any split ends and to keep it clean. But I'd never trim just for the sake of trimming IMO.

Right now I am trying to limit full trims. Because of my last "so called trim" disaster with "now a former stylist" of mine I am trying to retain some length although there is no "style" to my hair. As long as my ends arent split or thin, I will only do trims if it is necessary. If I see a split end here or there I will snip the tip. Once every two months I will use the split ender to clean up overall. I only lose 1/8 of an inch when I do that. I constantly treat my ends daily and I wrap my hair. I want to rach my goal faster.

LOL L.Mo!! Gee that's what I said about MY OWN pic when I uploaded it today. Getting my hair trimmed on Tuesday, RUSHING to get it done.

I dont usually trim my hair but after my touch-up on the 19th I did get a trim on the 26th. I had a lot of growth but my ends were split and looked ragged. I am going to try either the baggie technique or the vasiline technique to keep my ends from splitting so maybe I wont have to trim again for a long time.

Hey L. Mo--way to go on lessening those trims. I'm not at all advocating that people hold on to jacked up split ends, but just leaving behind the drama & emotional trauma that comes when a stylist insist on trimming your hair every time she sees you, etc.--
sorry I'm ranting, I've had my share of those experiences & leaving the salon sad & depressed. Now some people have a preference of having blunt, even ends more so for the aesthetic appeal & I can understand that too.
I'm glad you read the anti-scissor happy thread
smile.gif
--My hair has gotten longer since following my own advice
smile.gif

I usually would trim once a year because i HATED it. I havent trimmed since September when I trimmed to even out my hair. I havent needed it since then either so Im happy!

I get my hair trimmed when I get my relaxer (which is once every 4 or 5 months. Last time, I forgot to get my hair trimmed...and I had so many split ends when i went back.
frown.gif

I might trim in august when I plan to get my first blow out. I still have a few relaxed ends on my hair. How do i know? Because they stick straight up even after the rest of my hair has curled. After that trim I dont plan to trim again untilfeb or march. If I dont need to then I wont.

I used to get one every touch-up, but realized my hair was getting shorter.
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

Now, I may do it 2-3 times this year, no more than that!
wallbash.gif

Supergirl. You have a way of making the most complicated issues seem so elementary. That little ditty on trimming was good.
smile.gif
I saved it in my favorites and forwarded it to a friend of mine!

Thanks!

Since I've been natural and braided I find it's necessary to trim only once a year. I've read the SHS thread and laughed until I cried because I identified when I read the part where the stylist says, "Let me trim those dead ends baby." LOL One section just grew faster than the other. With the styles I wore, it didn't matter if my hair was even or not so my hair was cut for nothing!

Back