Too much oil damages hair?

crazydaze911

hey ladies!
i was just wondering..i'm OBSESSED with oil! b/f this board, i used to be so crazy about jojoba that when i went to the salon, even after i washed and set, my hair was STILL oily. like it totally repelled the whole service - :lachen:
in any case, i've since learned, alittle goes along way (blah, blah, blah) but i still use a good amount of oil.
so if too much moisture is bad, too much protein is bad, and too much dryness is bad - IS too much oil bad in any way? (this goes for jojoba, coconut, amla, etc). I dont care if my hair is flat or weighed down b/c i'm transitioning and my hair is poofy anyway, but could it make ur hair extra dry or suseptible to breakage in any way?
btw - i use it after moisturizing on the length of my hair, but when i put it on my scalp, its straight oil.
Let me know ur thoughts. thanks!

Girl, I love me some oil too. It has literally transformed my hair. I love Vatika hair oil and Amla Gold hair oil. My shine and moisture game is off the hook thanks to these two. I also like castor oil, which is in my daily hair moisturizer, because it gives my medium relaxed hair some thickness and body.

I suppose like anything else too much of anything isn't good for your hair. When I first startd using the Vatika oil, I was heavy handed with it and man was my hair just too oily! It was bad but the longer I used it, I learned how much was good enough for me, 2 to 3 drops as opposed to almost a hand full, and now I'm good. :grin:

My hairdresser told me this. She gave me the example of putting a rubber band in oil---it will weaken. I know we all prepoo and seal here with it. But before I found this site I followed my stylist's advice and didnt use ANY hair oil for a year and my hair grew like a weed and was VERY healthy. I was using polishers instead. I have been thinking of going back to this idea because I believe it will trap moisture in better. I may just use coconut and tea tree oil on my scalp still because it stopped my dandruff. I have not decided yet though because coconut oil has made my hair very soft. On the other hand, it is very hard to find coconut oil where I live so I am leaning more towards the polisher. We will see.

Ok, you can't tell by my siggy's "before" photo, but oils have made a 360 turnaround for my hair (loaned my camera out ugh!!!). I can't wait to upload photos.

I always rinse the oils out of my hair so I don't have a lot of excess oil and I don't need to seal. I'm basically wash n go and I had to learn not to be so heavy handed.

I LOVE OILS!!! I have Castor, Almond, Jojoba, EVOO, Amla & Coconut. And I'm not going back!! :grin:

Last nite I did a Baking Soda rinse which really helped to gently get rid of build-up. Shouldn't it be OK if you clarify once in a while? Especially if you are going to visit your beautician soon. :look:

:hero: Oil to the rescue. I use the heck out of some oil. :lick: I've gotten back to being a bit of a PJer but last night I realized that my hair loves oil and literally thrives from it. I am not changing it again. :wallbash: The moisturizers/protein war is for the birds. I have to keep telling myself do what works for me and my hair. :yep:

WGO has been a blessing and I don't know why I keep adding other things. :spank: Good growth and retained length. Nothing works on my hair as well as it does. The other oils will be reserved for oil washing or conditioning.

My mother used nothing but a ton of oils in my hair when I was little and my hair stayed at ear length for 12 years. For me, oil does not moisturize my hair.

My mother used nothing but a ton of oils in my hair when I was little and my hair stayed at ear length for 12 years. For me, oil does not moisturize my hair.

I think the OP is talking about as a sealant. I think only essential oils have the ability to penetrate (I may be wrong), but oil does not moisturize.

I think the OP is talking about as a sealant. I think only essential oils have the ability to penetrate (I may be wrong), but oil does not moisturize.

oh my bad. well in that case, i don't see how it would cause damage. but if you use too much it can leave your hair looking limp, but that cna happen with other products also.

I really dont think so for some reason.

We know you can have moisture overload and deficeny, and protein overlead and deficeny....

But i dont really think you can have oil overload or deficeny......

I know that you need to make sure you hair is moisturized before you put the oil on or you'll just remain with dry hair.....but i think the only problem with oiling too much would be greasy hair, and some people dont need oil at all so i dont think its too big of a deal to overuse or not use.

My hairdresser told me this. She gave me the example of putting a rubber band in oil---it will weaken. I know we all prepoo and seal here with it. But before I found this site I followed my stylist's advice and didnt use ANY hair oil for a year and my hair grew like a weed and was VERY healthy. I was using polishers instead. I have been thinking of going back to this idea because I believe it will trap moisture in better. I may just use coconut and tea tree oil on my scalp still because it stopped my dandruff. I have not decided yet though because coconut oil has made my hair very soft. On the other hand, it is very hard to find coconut oil where I live so I am leaning more towards the polisher. We will see.

This is intesting....so you would just shampoo, conditon, moisturize daily and seal with a serum?

I could see how the serum/polisher would help make your hair healthier because it can hold moisturie in better....but why would the oil weaken hair..?

(I didnt even know it weakend rubberbands...thats crazy)

Actually, cant it weaken nails too?

I dont think it can weaken skin.....

What about a feather....thats pretty similar to our hair, i wonder what would happen to a feather if you left it in some oil

I use wonder 8 hair oil and after a few days it becomes rancid. Yet, I am so paranoid if I don't use oil my dry hair will split. Does oil really 'protect' your hair, I guess besides keeping it pinned up, would using a topical oil or shine serum really prevent splits? TIA

My hair loves oils, too! I think oils that seal in moisture would help at preventing splits. They can possibly add strength as well. There was a study someone on this or the other forum referred to where coconut oil was compared to mineral oil and one other hair oil, I forget. It was demonstrated that coconut oil prevented "protein loss" from the hair better than the MO and the other one, which did nothing for protein loss at all.

i only use oil now, and have been for a while. creme moisturizers and stuff build up to fast and make my hair break. i haven't had any problems at all.

hey ladies!
i was just wondering..i'm OBSESSED with oil! b/f this board, i used to be so crazy about jojoba that when i went to the salon, even after i washed and set, my hair was STILL oily. like it totally repelled the whole service - :lachen:
in any case, i've since learned, alittle goes along way (blah, blah, blah) but i still use a good amount of oil.
so if too much moisture is bad, too much protein is bad, and too much dryness is bad - IS too much oil bad in any way? (this goes for jojoba, coconut, amla, etc). I dont care if my hair is flat or weighed down b/c i'm transitioning and my hair is poofy anyway, but could it make ur hair extra dry or suseptible to breakage in any way?
btw - i use it after moisturizing on the length of my hair, but when i put it on my scalp, its straight oil.
Let me know ur thoughts. thanks!

A past colleague of mine had really nice and thick neck length hair, and when I suggested that she add moisture/ oil to the ends of her hair for retaining lenght, she said that oil makes her hair break! I was pretty shocked by this as I've never heard of oil 'breaking' hair. But I must admit, after she said this, I did kinda ease up on my oil usage. I, like you Crazydays911, LOVE oil. I love soaking my hair in amla oil over night before washing- a tip from Candy_C I borrowed.

Like all things, use oil in moderation if you are concerned about how much you are using it :)

Ok, you can't tell by my siggy's "before" photo, but oils have made a 360 turnaround for my hair (loaned my camera out ugh!!!). I can't wait to upload photos.

I always rinse the oils out of my hair so I don't have a lot of excess oil and I don't need to seal. I'm basically wash n go and I had to learn not to be so heavy handed.

I LOVE OILS!!! I have Castor, Almond, Jojoba, EVOO, Amla & Coconut. And I'm not going back!! :grin:

Last nite I did a Baking Soda rinse which really helped to gently get rid of build-up. Shouldn't it be OK if you clarify once in a while? Especially if you are going to visit your beautician soon. :look:

i clarify every 6 weeks - does that sound right?

any one else a polisher advocate?

A past colleague of mine had really nice and thick neck length hair, and when I suggested that she add moisture/ oil to the ends of her hair for retaining lenght, she said that oil makes her hair break! I was pretty shocked by this as I've never heard of oil 'breaking' hair. But I must admit, after she said this, I did kinda ease up on my oil usage. I, like you Crazydays911, LOVE oil. I love soaking my hair in amla oil over night before washing- a tip from Candy_C I borrowed.

Like all things, use oil in moderation if you are concerned about how much you are using it :)

Thanks for the responses ladies!

any one else a polisher advocate?

I do this alot. It really depends on your hair IMO. Serums aren't for everyone and oils are not for everyone. Some people don't mind both but you usually see that the people who don't do silicone do alot of oil and vice versa.

I do this alot. It really depends on your hair IMO. Serums aren't for everyone and oils are not for everyone. Some people don't mind both but you usually see that the people who don't do silicone do alot of oil and vice versa.

Indeed. I don't really do silicones. I do oil.

i clarify every 6 weeks - does that sound right?

I'm sorry, I can't speak on how often to claify. I just do it when I need it.

Polisher did nothing for me, but I only used it after a blow out. I have REALLY DRY dull hair. My hair laughed at the polisher! It kind of beaded up and disappeared and left no shine at all.

I wonder if any of the chemist/doctors on board, can give us a chemical breakdown, on the usefulness of using either oil or serums/polishers? I've read (I think Balisi wrote this) that silicones are hard to clarify and that it takes some kind of special, harsh cleanser to completely clarify your hair. On the other hand, I read that the scalp produces it's own oils with some stimulation (scalp massages).

The jury's still out, but this is interesting. I'd like to know which is more beneficial/harmful. Maybe I'll clarify and start a personal challenge of using nothing on my hair and scalp? The jury's still out on this one too!

There's a thread somewhere that compares mens' hairgrowth, to womens'. I know that men don't spend countless hours: prepooing, CW, DC, clarifying, etc. Maybe men possess some wisdom in KISS--at least, where hair(non)care is concerned

Last edited:
I use wonder 8 hair oil and after a few days it becomes rancid. Yet, I am so paranoid if I don't use oil my dry hair will split. Does oil really 'protect' your hair, I guess besides keeping it pinned up, would using a topical oil or shine serum really prevent splits? TIA

In my opinion, Wonder 8 oil is a tool of the Devil! Yilk!

I hate that stuff. You're right it gets rancid fast and it gets 'gunkey' (I know...not a word) but it coagulates and the texture of the oil changes. I bought it once and never again. Something ain't right about the formulation of that junk.

This is intesting....so you would just shampoo, conditon, moisturize daily and seal with a serum?

I could see how the serum/polisher would help make your hair healthier because it can hold moisturie in better....but why would the oil weaken hair..?

(I didnt even know it weakend rubberbands...thats crazy)

Actually, cant it weaken nails too?

I dont think it can weaken skin.....

What about a feather....thats pretty similar to our hair, i wonder what would happen to a feather if you left it in some oil

Well mind you this is pre LHCF. I would wash with Pantene Breakage Defense. Condition with Pantene Breakage Defense for 5 minutes with a shower cap while showering. I would use motions as a leave in. A little silk elements then dry loose under the dryer until 90% dry and then blow dry. Add more silk elements and flat iron. I would "moisturize" with the silk elements about 3 times a week and use the polisher 3 times a week. Sometimes I didn't even use the polisher, just the silk elements. I just stayed clear from oil.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Wonder 8 oil is a tool of the Devil! Yilk!

I hate that stuff. You're right it gets rancid fast and it gets 'gunkey' (I know...not a word) but it coagulates and the texture of the oil changes. I bought it once and never again. Something ain't right about the formulation of that junk.

I love wild growth, but it smells :) :( I will try to do a no oil, and maybe serum, but I am soooooooooo heavy handed...I just 'need' something...

i love me some oils too but i's was heavy handed too with the whole moisture and sealing thing but this week my hair has been great cause im not putting way too much and my hair ..wow i tried the whole sealing without oils thing but i just had to remoisturise some more...my hair loves oil

Back