Took my braids out and hair is healthy!

nijilah

I am doing the braid challenge. I had my individual braids (kankelon hair -- sp?) for 9 weeks. I basically followed the braid lady's routine and the braid challenge routines depending on how I felt.

For a little background information, last summer, I had my hair in kinky twist and eventhough I was moisturizing my hair, I lost a lot of hair when taking out the twists AND my hair was DRY

This time, my hair was soft
! I did have build up around the edges but I just sprayed in a little leave-in detangler conditioner and worked my hair around the build up. I lost very little hair. I even thought that I should have more shedding than this! Also, after I took out each braid, I finger combed the hair, then applied a little leave-in detangler, and then combed the hair with a comb.

Afterwards, I did the clarify and deep conditioning and attempted a braid out which was not successful. My hair is so BIG and THICK! I am wondering if when you take out braids, does it take a little while for the hair to re-adjust?

Unfortunately, I don't know if and how much my hair has grown because I had a war against split ends before putting in my braids, resulting in a 3 inch cut. But the good news is, my ends are healthy! So for now, I won the war.

katie

Congrats!
Who is the braid lady?Is that the same lady from Crown and Glory technique?Also, did you do anything differently this time that kept your hair moisturized while you were in braids?I see you said last time your hair was dry even tho you moisturized and was wondering if you did anything differently this time

Vanessa22

Congratulations! I'm glad everything worked out for you! I heard great reviews about the braid lady's routine, so I might have to try it sometime. Keep up the great work!

Sweetyb

Wow, that's really great news
Congrats on keeping the hair on your head, lol! I braided someone's head for the first time and was actually wondering how I would take them out! So I guess the Hair Lady's videos really helped you, huh? Is the "take-down" video really extensive and a must-buy, or is it as simple as just using a detaingler to take down the braids?

Can you tell us what leave-in detangler you used to take out the braids? Thx!

J

JenniferMD

Congrats! That is great news, I'm glad you had so much success. I followed the Braid Lady's routine with similar results, and I had my braids in for 3 months. From my very recent experience, yes the hair is very poofy after you take the braids out and a braid-out won't look that neat.

nijilah

I am referring to the lady from Crown and Glory when I am referring to the braid lady. I only did 2 things differently between the braids and the twists.

1. After washing my hair, every other week - with the braids - I did an ACV rinse.

2. I used a different type of hair. Perhaps the kinky twist hair was too harsh for my hair type.

nijilah

I have not yet attempted to braid my own hair but I will next time, in about a month.

I just used Pantene's leave-in. It was on sale at Walmart at the time, so it was cheap and effective. It made my hair nice and soft.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
That is good to hear. I wish I had the same results as you did. My hair was a mess when I took it down. Well back to the drawing board.

katie

ChampagneWishes,did you take really good care of your hair while in braids and it still got damaged ?