Tracy and other hair color experts!!!!

babycakes

I went back to my stylist to get some highlights touched up ( really subtle, kind of like Stacey Dash's hair in that Kanye West video) and now my hair is falling out. I've had him do my highlilghts twice before using the same product and I've had no problems. He didn't overlap or anything. What gives. Though the highlights are subtle they are all over so I have little strands sticking up everywhere. It's so not cute. I can't cut it off because I would literally have to spend hours picking throug highlights to cut of the damage. Any suggestions for getting my hair healthy again?

kitchen_tician

i'm really sorry to hear this. i too have colored hair and my experience has always been to keep my hair oiled, not only moisturized. i too had this happen recently, but this was due to the hair dresser using excessive heat and her not wanting me to use any oil. that's a no-no when it comes to colored hair.

maybe the condition of your hair is a little different than before. or maybe you are using some products that may be more drying. i'm not a real color expert, but my hair has been colored for the past 10 years with highlights and colors and my experience has been worse when i use heat and no oil on my hair.

1. i would try a deep conditioner and/or reconstructor as well as some hot oil treatments with some of the concoctions that many of the ladies suggests.
2. i would also lay off of the heat (curlers, blow dryers, flat irons,etc..) for a while.
3. some people like hair lotions but i prefer true oil when it comes to colored hair. the lotions don't work well on my hair. i use various oils, but my oil of choice right now is wildgrowth for the hair not on my scalp. (i don't like it on my scalp)and seven wonders miracle oil.

i hope all goes well. keep me posted.

Tracy

I agree with Kitch - and add some protein to your regimen. A strong treatment once (ASAP) like Nexxus Emergencee. Then do weekly treatments with a reconstructor. I do mine twice a week actually - but ease into it and see if your hair can tolerate more. Make sure to follow them with moisture.
You can repeat the Nexxus (there are other alternatives but that one's very good and will most likely stop the breaking quickly) every 4 weeks as needed until the breakage stops.
Good Luck.

Tracy

What may have happened as well is that the color he was using may have overlapped onto previously highlighted portions and the parts that have been subjected a few times now may have tweaked out a little. You can probably fix it. Don't worry yet. Get your bootcamp on though.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
What may have happened as well is that the color he was using may have overlapped onto previously highlighted portions and the parts that have been subjected a few times now may have tweaked out a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. That's exactly what happened to my hair when I had it highlighted years ago. The first time everything was great; when I got them touched up, that's when I started noticing the breakage... soon I could no longer find any highlighted pieces -- they had ALL broken off!!!

Good Luck...

kitchen_tician

i normally get highlights/color once a year and that's around the spring/summer. i've never had my color touched-up more frequently than once a year because i try to avoid overprocessing, especially since i do my own hair coloring.