Transition Method

Transition Method

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ballerina_Bun

You're newgrowth is beautiful. It's so pretty! I've been tempted to relax lately, but the more I read these threads and see pictures like this, why bother :yep:

Right now, I'm wearing twist-outs to try to blend the two textures. I need to perfect my rollersets. I can never get the roller taut enough to straighten my roots. I tried to rollerset over the weekend and it came out like this:

Obviously, I'm not doing something right. I ended up putting it up in a clip. :confused:

jejora82

I transistioned for eight months with braids. I then Bc'd in Dec 06. I put no heat on my hair. Wahsed weekly and conditioned weekly as well. I have been natural since Dec 2006. But I still wear my hair in braids because I work 12 hours a day 7 days a week. And it is especially dry and dusty where I'm located. So that is pretty much the easiest way for me to manage my hair. I'm overseas right now, but when I get back there is not limit to the things I can do to my hair.

In the beginning I did a ton of flexi rod sets up until the third month. I've been hiding my hair under wigs for the last 3 or 4 months. I would wash it, DC, and then flat twist it down and rock the wig. I just finished putting in my own microbraids because lord knows it gets too hot here to continue rocking a wig on into summer :gorgeous: = :burning:lol! :lachen: I'm not sure when I plan on chopping definitely not until it's long enough to put into a substantial puff.

Whimsy

i'm transitioning this time with a mix of braidouts, maxigliding, and bunning....
more braidouts/maxigliding these days since i did my mini chop....

ResultsMayVary

I transitioned about 16 months, used heat for maybe 14 of those months and would NEVER do it that way again. The side effects were a whole new issue to deal with and to grow out after becoming natural.

Just had to say ... Your pic in your siggy keeps me on my transitioning road :yep:

I have been using heat, weaves, braids, buns, ponys ... anything to avoid a perm !!

naturalepiphany

I have been transitioning for 8 months now as of the 17th of this month and I plan on going another 10 before I big chop. So far I have mostly used twists, kinky twists, buns, and braids to transition. So far I have only flat ironed my hair twice since my last perm. While in my transitional styles I spritz with water and tea tree oil everyday, co wash and dc every week, and clarify as needed. I used to co wash everyday but found that made my hair quite mushy so I cut down to either once or twice a week. I hope to do more rollersets and buns for the remaining ten months.

Sha76

I use a little bit of all of them. One week press another extensions and then just twist and roll. IT really depends on how I feel

FindingMe

i'm transitioning (7 months post) with braidouts (65%) and rollersets w/ flat ironed roots (35%).

That probably will be closer to 50/50 now that the weather is getting cooler and it's taking longer for my hair to airdry.

Black Hoya Chick

long term transitioning with daily cowashing and bunning. Personal *NO HEAT* Challenge until at least the end of the summer. then we shall see about maybe a mini-chop

mightycute912

I don't like PS, so I will be heating it up. My hair is used to heat even while I was transitioning. So, if it ain't broke.

MummysGirl

I won't do braids or weaves because my hair line suffers... I don't use heat cos I work out Monday-Friday so I sweat on my scalp and new growth curls back up.

I wash and DC 2ce a week - 1 day: cowash and the other wash day: Shikakai soap.

My plan is to do low maintenance/low manipulation styles: french braids, braidouts, etc. So far so good.

RavenMaven

As soon as I get a hot comb, I will start using heat on my roots only. Just because I like that fresh relaxer look. I can't get to my roots with a flat iron.

bermudabeauty

I haven't quite figured out if I am stretching or transitioning. I know I am only 5 weeks post but I already have half inch of new growth. I have recently bc'd gone from APL to touching shoulder length. I will wash once a week and attempt to oil rinse w/co-wash once a week now that I found a good conditioner. I also plan on flexirod on dry hair and an ocassional wig here and there. No heat unless to blowdry after washing. I do not want to weave or braid because detangling ng after that would be horrible! I would loose too much hair.

MrJohnsonsRib

I've been wearing a half wig at work and a full one everywhere else. It's been allowing me to go free underneath without trying to impress and I can focus on finding a regimen....well I'm stuck on moisture right now....can't seem to get enough of that stuff. :( I hope to get some kinky twists, which reminds me I should call my buddy and see if she will braid me up soon....

jetbeauty09

I answered other b/c I thought it was suggestions for you. I suggest protective styling like twists. There is a twist for growth challenge going on right now and it allows you retain alot of growth since you're not manipulating it too much. With twists you can wash and DC too! I chose to BC before but I regret it. I wish I had transitioned longer. Now I am and I'm wearing a bunch of wigs, cornrows, twists and puffs. Basically every hairstyle in the book! lol

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i'm transitioning with my curlformers, kinky twist extensions, and micros with my own hair. when it gets long enough, i'll add in bunning.

infojunkie

I transitioned for 12 months. My regimen solidified itself in the last 3 or 4 months. I became an ayurvedic baby and wash once a week (or every two weeks depending on schedule). Part my hair into 5 to 6 sections to dry my roots under the dryer then take the clips out and dry the rest of the way. Lightly flat iron with VCO and Silk Elements Mega Silk Heat Protectant and after greasing my scalp wear my hair in a clip until next wash. Moisturizing at night under my satin bonnet.

Last Saturday, February 28, 2009, I went to my beautician and had all the relaxed ends cut off and had layers cut in. She washed, DC, blow dried to 90% then put me under the dryer to get bone dry, ran a warm comb through it, then flat ironed.

I'm loving it!

tmhuggiebear

For now protective styles work the best for me. I am only 3 months post though so I don't know how well it work as I get further along in my transitionn. But now throwing hair up in a bun and making sure the ng is as slicked down as possible is working.

Bun Mistress

I said otther, here is why: I tried extensions (cornrows) and hated it. I missed my hair. I rollerset until 4 months post then stopped cold turkey because I felt I was using too much heat and mani to get straight hair. Now I do flat twist outs and have been decreasing the number of twist as my NG grows out (now down to 4, first time ever).
I am considering sengelense (I can't spell) twist in the winter, maybe I can keep those in for a month.
BTW - I can't co - wash, I have fine hair and that would equal snap snap on my ends. I did discover grease recently (hairveda) and it had really helped my ends. No more snap snap.

Last edited:

FAMUDva

I transitioned using flat iron presses and heat straightening. Although I love my natural hair, I regret my transition method. I regret it because I <3 my natural hair texture so much (now that I see it) and I'm so disappointed in the heat damage I got near the end of my transition. :wallbash: Now I'm transitioning from heat damage :(

Aria-Selene

I cowash almost every day now, I also deep condition more. I usually just wash and go. I also live in buns. I straighten once a month for length checks. Coconut oil and LTR leave in has been a blessing to my hair.

isabella09

I’m transitioning using braids as a protective style until I reach my goal of natural MBL hair. I haven’t BC yet and will probably do so when my goal is met or gradually over the course of 4 years.

Bluetopia

I dont want to start a new thread so i thought id ask this on a few existing threads....

Can you transition w/o a BC if your hair is mildly texturized?

My hair was texturized on July 1st and I immediately missed my new growth but loved how the texturizer did make my hair more manageable.

Now I've found a hair routine that has my hair moisturized so well that my ng and my texturized hair run seamlessly into each other (i mean seeeeamlessly!)

so my thought is....i dont have to texturize anymore :rolleyes:

i can just keep growing my hair to my goal of WL, and get trims as needed (which is like once maybe twice a year max)

if i want straight hair i can get it blown and/or rollerset....

but on the regular im usually in protective styles and have no problem with that.

in the winter around the holidays i may take it easy and get braids for a while so i dont have to worry about my hair while traveling to see my friends and family.

basically - my texturized/new growth hair works fine for me and i have no interest in ever being bonelaxed.

so can i just stay like this....and not BC and just go about my business?

i guess technically this would be considered the longest transition ever because after 5+ years a good portion of my texlaxed hair would have been slowly trimmed off due to maintenance trims.

has anyone ever done it this way?

i'll start a new thread if i have to but hopefully you ladies can shed some light :look: :feedback:

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I said otther, here is why: I tried extensions (cornrows) and hated it. I missed my hair. I rollerset until 4 months post then stopped cold turkey because I felt I was using too much heat and mani to get straight hair. Now I do flat twist outs and have been decreasing the number of twist as my NG grows out (now down to 4, first time ever).
I am considering sengelense (I can't spell) twist in the winter, maybe I can keep those in for a month.
BTW - I can't co - wash, I have fine hair and that would equal snap snap on my ends. I did discover grease recently (hairveda) and it had really helped my ends. No more snap snap.

Yeah I'm like you. Probably going to get Senegalese twists for the winter. I too have fine hair, but I find it's ok to cowash every now and then as long as my hair has enough protein in it. Biggest challenge while transitioning is maintaining that protein/moisture balance. I'm mostly protective styling with bantu knot outs (my fav). Haven't used any heat(other than hooded drier) since I began transitioning in March.