naturalline
Pokahontas
asha
Candy C
FAMUDva
determined to grow

Good luck ladies

Ebonygurl00

I really wish I could do this challenge! It'd make my life much more simpler.:lol: Ever since I cut my hair, I've been washing everyday, and my hair and scalp are loving it! Good luck!!!!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I've copied what I said in carpe's thread for this discussion:

Yall, PLEASE wash your hair at least once a week. Who would go a month without washing their body? That's what I thought-no one. Is hair growth that crucial that you would risk hair and a scalp full of dirt, oils, sebum, etc?

miracle

Count me in!!! I only wash my hair every two weeks in the Fall & Winter seasons, anyway. I find that if I wash my hair daily during those months, I always end up with a bad head-cold or sinus infection even if I wear hats & scarves. And I never, ever go out w/wet hair or a damp scalp, so go figure.

Last edited:

MonaRae

I'm in! I've been doing it for about 2 months now. I just make sure I wet my hair by spraying homemade hair spray (which contains Horsetail!).

A few of my hair strains was sticking thru my twists and I was amazed how well my hair was moisturized!

MonaRae

JOI

Im in, I will try it just to see how things go. I wash my hair every 12 to 14 days in the winter anyway because I am always getting sick :0)

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

I'll join in starting tomorrow - I only wash my hair once every 2 weeks anyway in winter.

Good luck ladies!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Bublnbrnsuga said:
I've copied what I said in carpe's thread for this discussion:

Yall, PLEASE wash your hair at least once a week. Who would go a month without washing their body? That's what I thought-no one. Is hair growth that crucial that you would risk hair and a scalp full of dirt, oils, sebum, etc?
I've seen where you have said this before! :)
For me personally, when I wash less often, I'm not totally concerned about length/growth...my hair actually feels and acts better from not washing...it doesn't break, it's stronger, it looks healthier and shinier to me, and I don't suffer itching and stinkiness like some other women do from not washing often. So I don't feel like I'm putting in risk to my hair nor scalp at all.;)

gelati

Is it to late to join? If not I'm in!!!! My hair is 4b very thick and kinky.:eek: I want to see how it do when I don't wash it for a couple of weeks. Also my hair loves grease, especially Mane'n Tail Herbal-Gro and Coconut Oil Grease.:p

1. Shampoo with CON (Green label)
  2. Condition with NTM Daily Deep Conditoner
  3. I will mix my grease with some ORS Lock and Twist Gel.
  4. Twist it up in the back and flat twist in the front.
  5. Where a twist out for a couple of days before I wash my hair again.
  6. If my scalp gets to dirty from exercising then I will clean my scalp with some diluted Sea Breeze.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Poohbear said:
I've seen where you have said this before! :)
For me personally, when I wash less often, I'm not totally concerned about length/growth...my hair actually feels and acts better from not washing...it doesn't break, it's stronger, it looks healthier and shinier to me, and I don't suffer itching and stinkiness like some other women do from not washing often. So I don't feel like I'm putting in risk to my hair nor scalp at all.;)
Same here. I don't do it for growth. I've been doing this for many years because it's what works best for me. I can say that I keep so much more hair on my head by doing it.

gradygirl

I went 2 weeks without washing my since I've been on this challenge and so far so good. I get excited thinking about all the hair I'm going to save by doing this. The only thing that I've had to change so far is I had to up my moisturizing and oiling my scalp after that first week. How is going for everybody else.

carpediem628

So far, I am really liking it. For one thing, its just easier. For another, my hair does look shinier and healthier. I have not successfully gone more than a week and a half yet.

But keep in mind that I used to wash my hair every day.

rosie

I have been doing this for my hair for the past 3 years. I twist or braid my hair and wear for 3-4 weeks. I may rinse in between, maybe even no-poo.

But mostly I let it go. I spray rosemary spritz almost daily, but it is low maintenance. Not for growth, but for my schedule. I work out and all, but my hair don't stink, and it's not overly dirty either.

My scalp doesn't suffer.

I am thinking of stretching my 9 yo's washings out to every 3-4 weeks. I used to do it every week. But every week, tons of hair would come out. Then I switched it to every 2 weeks. It did better. But her hair looks and stays better when I take it loose on the off week, oil her hair and scalp with my rosemary/tea tree/castor combo and rebraid. It shines a lot more. It feels stronger and it holds the style better. I don't comb it duirng the off week, I just repart, oil it, and braid a new style.

I'm thinking that if I do the loosen/rebraid/repart/oil/braid for three weeks and wash every 4th week. Especially during the winter months, when he hair suffers the most.

My youngest's (5 yo) head would not go for it. Her hair collects lint like a magnet and needs to be washed at least every 3 weeks if not every week. I think for her, I can get away with a CW every other week.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I think I will wash both of them this weekend and see what happens from there. I have anew deep conditioner that I want to try on my oldest. I believe that her hair will love it.

rdm

I wish that I could do this but my hair would be on the serious stank after the 10th day. I got an oily scalp and it does not smell good after marinating more than 10 days.

Mahalialee4

There are many that do not use a commercial shampoo to clean their hair ever. Many "clean", fastidious Rastas wash their hair with Cactus gel or rachet. Many Mexican people use Yucca plant, some use the Soapwort plant and many East Indians use washes that combine amla, shikakai, neem, etc. Some wash their hair with Hibiscus leaves etc. Have done so for generations. I have used everyone of these methods. I also use Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap on occasion. Sometimes I just cleanse with a LeKair Cholesterol mix. Some cultures wash their hair in aloe vera juice. Some cleanse with an ACV rinse and warm water or baking soda and warm water. Some wash their hair just with eggs and oil and rinse. So I do not consider people who do not do a "commercial shampoo" any less clean and to tell you the truth their hair is healthier than most. As for itching etc. Some add essential oils to these things and they are bacterial and fungus killers as is AVC.so we need to be aware that not using "shampoo" as we know it is not that shocking. By the way, the word "shampoo" started apparently with the East Indians, and they were basing it not on commercial shampoos but on their herbal powders that they mixed with water or boiled roots and water, and whatever herbal mashes and pastes that they used with water to cleanse their hair. I have absolutely no dandruff. I use a commercial shampoo 1x a month. (Sedal Wheat and Honey and Aloe Rid for a clarifier. I grow Soapwort in my yard. I keep Rachet in my freezer, Hibiscus leaves dried and lots of dried herbs to use on my hair, and a variety of Indian herbal hair wash powders. so I could actually get by without a store bought shampoo.But I use essential oils in my conditioner that I leave on for four hours. How do you think our ancestors kept clean before some entrepeneurs started selling stuff in bottles? Hope this helps. bonjours

Last edited:

HoneyDew

rdm said:
I wish that I could do this but my hair would be on the serious stank after the 10th day. I got an oily scalp and it does not smell good after marinating more than 10 days.

same here. I could never do it.

Working out regularly requires bi-weekly washing for me. Besides, I like when my honey touches my hair and massages my scalp. After a week, I know he would have big greasy hands if he tried. :)

jtsupanova

Newbe here,
I would like to join this challenge
I currently wear my hair in twists
Wash, detangle, deep con and retwist 1x a month
I grease my scalp and ends with a Frenches/Sulfer8 combo 3x a week ( I'm used to the smell)
The only exception is that I do clean my scalp with seabreeze two weeks into my twists but I think I might even phase that out ( then again maybe not)

I think of decreasing the times I grease my scalp and ends to once or twice a week for build up reasons

Tee

jtsupanova said:
Newbe here,
I would like to join this challenge
I currently wear my hair in twists
Wash, detangle, deep con and retwist 1x a month
I grease my scalp and ends with a Frenches/Sulfer8 combo 3x a week ( I'm used to the smell)
The only exception is that I do clean my scalp with seabreeze two weeks into my twists but I think I might even phase that out ( then again maybe not)

I think of decreasing the times I grease my scalp and ends to once or twice a week for build up reasons

just wanted to say welcome. :wave:

Miss*Tress

jtsupanova said:
I had started using grease, but since I'm on this challenge will stop. I had too much buildup and lint after a while.

Mahalialee4

And for 4 months of the year with 30-50 degrees below 0 levels, I do not like the idea of going out doors with a freshly washed head, so I really have to choose my times wisely as choosing the weather is not an option here.lol bonjour

happylocks

See I just washed my hair yesterday and it started itching I just developed a small regime and I dont think I can change it, but its oiling my scalp every day and washing 2 times a week. And a baggie simple. But my hair itches no matter what it seems. Updates

FAMUDva

I have been doing well on the challenge! My first 2 weeks went off without a hitch. I shampooed on Oct. 27th and don't plan to do so again until next Friday or Saturday. I've just been bunning and wearing a french braid.

How's everyone else doing?

Nanyanika

I want to join, i currently hope to wait up to two weeks before washing my, i think less manipulation is the better. I will only moisturise my hair with distilled water/s-curl every 5 days until wash day. I hope i achieve a lot of growth using this method.