Transitioners/Naturals: Anybody Rollersetting?

Robin41

Just looking for some styling options here. I'm so tired of these braids in my head, I could scream. I think they're not gonna make it past the weekend and I was thinking of trying to set my hair on flexirods and see what happens.

If anyone's had any success (or failures) with rollersetting natural or transitioning hair, please post your regimen here - products, step-by-step and outcome please!

Thanks!

mscounselor

When I rollerset (magnetic rollers or anything else) I typically pretreat with EVOO warmed up, then I use shampoo on the hair without water (it helps wash it out) then condition a usual. Since I have used various brands I cant say which one definitely worked but I will say I used Avalon Organic revitalizing, Suave Humectant Shampoo and Conditioner, and currently I used Sunsilk Hydrating. After I finish, I use Silk Elements leave in treatment and detangle with my Denman. I use Lottabody setting lotion diluted with water and roller set as usual. Depending on how my hair feels I may add Africas Pride Oil to the hair as well.

Hope that was confusing.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When I was a transitioner, I did rollersets. I loved the outcome, but I hated all the time it took up to do them. it would take me 45 minutes to do a rollerset for my relaxed hair and thick nappy new growth.

I would wash and condition and detangle, divide my hair into 3-5 sections, apply setting lotion (and sometimes glossing polish) to each piece of hair that I section off, comb through gently with a fine tooth comb, and then roll the section around a magnetic roller. After all my hair was rolled up, I would spray oil sheen all over. I would either airdry or sit under the dryer on medium heat. Once dry, I took out the rollers and divided each curl into 2 or 3 with my fingers and just let it be. No combing. At night, I would wear a satin bonnet over my curls. This style would last for about a week.

Hope that helps.

Cres812000

I am still transitioning, but I did rollerset weekly during the 6th-9th month of my transition. I went to the hairdresser and she actually rollerset it for me. She deep conditioned my hair and only charged me $20. She didn't use the magnetic rollers becuase she said it would make the roots of my hair too bulky, so she used the old fashioned rollers with the pins that you stick through the roller. She saturated my hair with setting lotion then sat me under the dryer. After taking the rollers out, she oiled my scalp and massaged my head and then she lightly flat ironed the edges of my hair. It looked really nice when she was done.:grin:

Robin41

mscounselor said:
When I rollerset (magnetic rollers or anything else) I typically pretreat with EVOO warmed up, then I use shampoo on the hair without water (it helps wash it out) then condition a usual. Since I have used various brands I cant say which one definitely worked but I will say I used Avalon Organic revitalizing, Suave Humectant Shampoo and Conditioner, and currently I used Sunsilk Hydrating. After I finish, I use Silk Elements leave in treatment and detangle with my Denman. I use Lottabody setting lotion diluted with water and roller set as usual. Depending on how my hair feels I may add Africas Pride Oil to the hair as well.

Hope that was confusing.

Not confusing at all (but that was funny!)

Thanks for the info. I think I have a bottle of Lottabody setting lotion somewhere. I'm snatching these braids outta my hair and trying this over the weekend.

Robin41

Cres812000 said:
I am still transitioning, but I did rollerset weekly during the 6th-9th month of my transition. I went to the hairdresser and she actually rollerset it for me. She deep conditioned my hair and only charged me $20. She didn't use the magnetic rollers becuase she said it would make the roots of my hair too bulky, so she used the old fashioned rollers with the pins that you stick through the roller. She saturated my hair with setting lotion then sat me under the dryer. After taking the rollers out, she oiled my scalp and massaged my head and then she lightly flat ironed the edges of my hair. It looked really nice when she was done.:grin:

Thanks, Cres812000. That's what I was thinking, that maybe the outcome would be really curly ends where my hair is relaxed and then really bulky roots where the new growth is. I'm gonna try this with flexi-rods and see how it comes out.