Good Books for Naturals and Transitioners

hopeful

I'm in the middle of reading the book "Let's Talk Hair" by Pamela Ferrell, I'd highly recommend it for anyone who is natural, transitioning or just thinking about going natural. I also just finished Good Hair (For Colored Girls Who've Considered Weaves When the Chemicals Became to Ruff) which was also pretty good but "Let's Talk Hair" will likely become my hair bible. Please post any other book suggestions that can help naturals and transitioners stay the course. TIA.

balisi

I haven't read Let's Talk Hair, but I love Good Hair by Lonice Brittenum Bonner. I also enjoyed Textured Tresses by Diane DaCosta.

beyondcute

Lets talk hair is soinformative without promoting anything. It presents facts without presenting products. It also doesnt push any particular style. Kinda the facts sans the personal agenda.

tropicexotic

free @ last
I think there's a website www.going-natural.com and she has a book posted there... I'm just typing the link from memory tho, so forgive me if it's wrong. :)

hopeful

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far. Tropicexotic, I love the website you posted, I had never seen it before. The book they sell is called Going Natural: How to Fall in Love with Nappy Hair by Mirielle Liong-A-Kong. Here is a more direct link to the book for anyone who is interested:
http://going-natural.com/napshop/index.php?cPath=21

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I love "Let's Talk Hair" too. I've had it for years and I never stop going back to it for information and just plain inspiration and knowledge.

hopeful

:) Bumping for the transitioners.:)

I just finished reading Hair Story, Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America by Ayana D. Byrd & Lori L. Tharps, interesting read about the history of our hair. It breaks my heart how slavery shaped our views of our naturally kinky, coily hair:( but knowledge is power. I am now in the middle of reading tenderheaded, A Comb-Bending Collecion of Hair Stories and it's also an intersting read.

PaperClip

Hello.... I've read or browsed several of the books mentioned in this thread, esp. when I started my transition...and even before. My decision to transition was relatively simple and clear to me.

When I browsed these books, each one read very passionately, and that's a good thing. But I felt overwhelmed by the social and political rhetoric vs. some straight-to-the-point (sorry, no pun intended!) facts about the common pleasures and pitfalls of this intensive hair journey. To date, I have yet to buy a book because I don't want to be persuaded or preached to about this issue. I'm already convinced that this is a healthy choice for my life and as I mature in this process, I can gently educate, inform, and encourage others as they are open and ready to receive the message.

I just wanted to share my angst about the current stock of such hair books on the market right now.... Hopefully there's a book or magazine or video, etc. that I have yet to discover that meets my needs and expectations...more of a "how-to" manual of styles, products, techniques. Suggestions, hair accessories, hair and makeup ideas, etc.

Thank you for allowing me to share.

caltron

Hair Story was really interesting.

RelaxerRehab, I'm with you. It would be nice if there was a how-to book like that. I would like something with quick, easy, everyday styles with pictures. I've seen some books with some very elaborate hair styles that I don't have the skill nor patience to do. \ I wonder why no one has thought to do this.

hopeful

RelaxerRehab said:
Hello.... I've read or browsed several of the books mentioned in this thread, esp. when I started my transition...and even before. My decision to transition was relatively simple and clear to me.

When I browsed these books, each one read very passionately, and that's a good thing. But I felt overwhelmed by the social and political rhetoric vs. some straight-to-the-point (sorry, no pun intended!) facts about the common pleasures and pitfalls of this intensive hair journey. To date, I have yet to buy a book because I don't want to be persuaded or preached to about this issue. I'm already convinced that this is a healthy choice for my life and as I mature in this process, I can gently educate, inform, and encourage others as they are open and ready to receive the message.

I just wanted to share my angst about the current stock of such hair books on the market right now.... Hopefully there's a book or magazine or video, etc. that I have yet to discover that meets my needs and expectations...more of a "how-to" manual of styles, products, techniques. Suggestions, hair accessories, hair and makeup ideas, etc.

Thank you for allowing me to share.

Thank you for sharing RelaxerRehab. I hope you, Caltron and others find the book that you are searching for...we all need something different. I've personaly gotten all of the styling/shampooing/conditioning ideas I need from this forum, nappturality and the dozen of fotki albums I have saved to my favorites. Some of the books mentioned in this thread have really helped me with my second bc and I hope they can help others as well. When and if you find the book you are searching for please let us know, I'm sure lots of people are searching for the same thing as you:).