Transitioners/Naturals: What was or is your regimen during transitioning?

Jewell

Hey ladies! This is going to be my second real attempt at transitioning. My hair was unbearable last time and started to loc. So, I have decided to transition and go natural for real this time. I just wanted to find out what your regimens are. I believe we can all learn from each other. TIA!

Nanyanika

- I co-wash once a week and detangle with my homemade moisturiser and k-cutter.
- Moisturise my hair with world of curls activator mixed with coconut oil.
- smooth with boar bristle brush into a bun
- tied down with scarf
- in morning smooth edges with Fantasia frizz buster gel.

Thats it!!!

I also do the crown n glory method for two onths at a time.

SignatureBeauty

Hello! I am new here and I am a Proud Nappy! But I just love this board because it takes care of all hair types and textures.
Well When I first went natural about 2 years ago I had a hard time finding a product to make my hair soft and keep it soft and moisturized all day,so I got frustrated and went back to relaxing and I didn't want that anymore so I chopped it all off in May 05 I mean Bald, Some homade things didn't work for me and then some things with so called bad ingredients worked but not for long,Well this time I found my magic product and my staples from www.qhemetbiologics.com
the heavy cream they have keeps my hair soft all day and I have 4b hair in the front and 3c/4a in the back, I also love the karite nut curl hair milk, and the thing is that you don't have to buy all the products just to make them work,and a little goes a long way I use the products on 2 heads of dry thick hair, I spend about $37.00 monthly for my hair products from them and that includes my shipping and handling, But I know how it is when your hair just won't act right, I have spent way more than that on useless products and have ended up in the trash, I know I sound like a commercial but these products are good,as with all products some people like them and some don't.

My Regime for my Natural hair:
Shampoo & Condition Once a Week
(with a 2in1 product that makes my hair soft)

Then Apply my Heavy Cream from QB pick my hair out & go.

Sleep on a satin pillow case I got from Sallys.
I like to keep products to a minimum and my routine quick and efficent.

I hope this helps!!

foxybrownsugar

I was keeping it simple during the summer mostly just CW'ing and adding oils like evoo & hot 6 on my hair. But I got embarrassed in the gym this summer after leaving oil on the headrest & having someone point it out to me. :Blush2: So, I went back to adding a little grease to my hair (not scalp). I have been cutting my hair since about March. It has gone from bsl to the base of my neck when twisted. I dont know how long it is pressed right now. I have only used heat once over the summer for a banquet. About Aug/Sept I started adding heat with plastic cap to my deep conditioning/hot oil treatments again & this made my hair very soft and moist. In October, I began adding lt. protein and mositurizing leave-in treatments because I had began to see some shedding. I guess from the humidity dropping and winter's coming because I have been taking my iron. The shedding has stopped now.

CW: I have been using mostly V05 but when i run out im going to buy sally's honeyalmond or wildcherry gallons. I think someone said they are the same company.? (at least 4x/wk due to the gym)
DC/HOT OILS: ORS mayo, hot6 & V05, spanish evoo, my concoctions(1x/wk)
LT. PROTEIN LEAVEIN: Aphogee keratin & green tea (1x/wk)
MOIST. LEAVEIN: 911 & African Royale's daily doc (smells so good like cherries) (4x/wk) (i mix the two in one spray bottle)
GREASE & CREMES: dax lanolin (mostly with heat) castor oil grease (light grease), vitapointe, carrot cremes (i have several)
CLARIFY:Generic nexxus aloe rid (sally's) (lx/wk) This is very gentle.

Sorry about posting long. I haven't been journaling lately. :( oh, I also use scarf to lay my hair down since forever, scalp massages, and steam room at the gym, clipping my hair in sections when combing and washing, and shower filter. All these techniques have helped me from have tangles. Now I'd better get back to work. GOOD LUCK TRANSITIONING!!!! :)

Last edited:

Cheleigh

At different stages, my routine has been different:

0-10 weeks--treated my hair as fully relaxed, got my hair done professionally (flatironed, etc.) without a retouch.

At week eleven, I officially decided to transition. At week 14, I got my hair in two strand twist extentions.

Once I took down the braids at week twenty, I started treating my hair as if it were natural. If I had to do over again, I would have started this routine as soon as I started transitioning.

My routine is constanting evolving, and at week 35, my regime:
-Co-wash twice weekly, each time as a DT (with gold self-heating cap). Every few weeks I turn the co-wash in a low poo wash and then a DT. I braid my hair into six sections and unbraid each section to detangle. I only detangle after rising out a head full of conditioner and under running cold water. I use my fingers, then follow-up with a D4. I rebraid my hair after I detangle each section and I lightly detangle with fingers again while damp when adding my leave-in conditioner. My hair does not like to be manipulated while washing--I actually only touch/massage my scalp while I'm rinsing out the conditioner under warm water.

-I spritz my hair w/homemade moisture spritz twice daily and use a leave-in moisturizer. I also have a high potency essential oil spritz when I remember.

-I braid and roll my hair nightly (it's usually damp) and add pomade to the ends. Usually I wear a whole head baggie with a satin scarf.

-In the morning, I dampen my hair again and style it (usually with spritz, moisturizer, flaxseed gel and a little IC fantasia).

-I trim 2" every two months. Untrimmed ends make my tangles even worse (if that's possible).

-I don't do much to fight my natural hair's texture and inclination--sometimes the coils are really defined, other times not so much. Some transitioners do mind, but I don't mind: some breakage of the relaxed hair; some shedding; some tangles (my hair loves to tangle); clear visual difference between the two textures.

Hair stats: Mostly napps and coils (what is considered 4a); Thin trands, densly packed. Mostly spongy texture with cotton at the front and something else in the nape. About 3.5-4" of natural and about 10" of relaxed. Length near armpit at longest layer. Hope this helps some.

Peachtree

Throughout my transition, I wore buns & braids with my own hair.

- pretreat with warmed Lustrasilk aloe on dry hair
- poo with motions or con
- coditioned with motions moisture plus, or motions cpr
- detangled while soaked with conditioner
- after final rinse, added motions nourishing leave in
- added Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter or hot six oil
- made either bun or braid
- let air dry.

that was my regimen throughout my 18 mth transition... (the best decision i ever made about my hair)

Daisy'sHair

My regimen during my transition was super simple, keep my hair clean by washing bi-weekly and MOISTURE. Although I did transituon with braids and drawstring ponytails, I love squeaky clean scalp and hair.

Nuelle

BUMP!!!

Hi ladies! I know this is a very old thread, but the transitioning support thread is extremely too long and there's already some great info in this thread. I think it would be great if we could all post our regimen here instead in order to make it easily available. Please include your regimen, products, techniques, your hair type, how long you've been transitioning, and what has worked for you at different stages. Thanks!

Last edited:

FAMUDva

Bump Bump Bump...

Thanks for bumping!

Dec. 12th will be my 1 yr Anniversary of transitioning and this time around I've encountered no major road blocks with transitioning :) Well, I've had minor set backs :( First my stylist heat straightened my hair for my wedding an it is JUST now reverting! It took like 8 wks for it to revert!

Aside from that the only other issue was that I went to the Dominican salon and she "trimmed" 2 inches! Took me from APL to just past SL. I was like :wallbash:. It was so difficult for me to get to APL. That trim was in June and although I've straightened since then, I don't watch growth much anymore. Just keeping my hair moisterized with frequent CWs. Lately I've been wearing buns (because of the CWing) but I'm not specifically doing it for protective styling. May check length at the start of the year. I don't really care right now. Just want health natural hair eventually :)

likewtr4chklit

I'm transitioning now too. I thought I was going to stretch but I realized that my hair doesn't enjoy being relaxed at all (and I've fallen in love with my natural coils). So I'm now 20 wks post. I co-wash 2-3 times a week, Shampoo once a week with a gentle shampoo and DC on poo day. I wear my hair in a bun, or phony pony, I usually pull it back right after a wash and just let it dry. I hold my ends down with honey and castor oil/beeswax mix. I just ordered a synthetic lace front, so I'll be switching up my do more often.

HollyGolightly1982

I am almost 20 weeks post so far.:grin: I wish I would have kept transitioning last year but oh well:ohwell: I don't have a specific reggie but I am slowly working on one. As far as hairstyling I have been doing buns, braidouts and bantu knots. I am about to buy some hats and scarves to wear also.

Lynnerie

I'm wearing half wigs and I'll flat iron maybe once or twice a month. I wash every week and sometimes I'll do a co-wash mid week.

Honestly...I've been struggling a little bit though. Sometimes I wanna give up. :nono:

Nubian.Queen

I have been transitioning since March '08 and been doing so with braids and cornrows. My edges started thinning out so I have decided to give my hair a break from the extensions, however, I am having a terrible time dealing with the two textures, the tangles and the mess after washing. I am considering retouching (pressure from my hubby not to BC) or BCing. Don't know what to do, I have an appointment tomorrow for a retouch and I know I can always back out. I don't want to disappoint my hubby by cutting my hair, he likes me with long hair...what's a girl got to do? When I look at all the beautiful ladies with some nice natural curls I can't help but want my hair to be that way...am so cofused....:wallbash:

trinidarkie1

I'm transitioning and for the last 6 months I've been using Whole Wigs, Lace wigs and weaves. I also used Flexi Rods and Roller sets and will continue to do so until the BC.

I'm concerned that I manipulate too much, so I may consider longer time frames between different style choices.