Transitioning after reaching mid back or longer

deontaer

Hello Ladies,

It's been a while since I've posted on the boards, but I wanted to see if there was anyone who has experienced or are in the process of transitioning after reaching mid back length? I've been maintaining near waist length hair for over a year, but I'm tired of stretching, texlaxing, perming, several hour long detangling sessions etc. every week...UGH!

I'm 5 mos post now, and I've really been considering the BC...but I'm scared I'll regret it. Everytime I see someone with beautiful, long straight hair, I reconsider cutting and going natural, but when I see someone with beautiful natural hair, I reconsider.

So my question is, is there anyone here who began their transition or bc'ed after growing their hair that long? How did you manage the transition? If you did the bc, did you have any regrets afterwards?

ChristmasCarol

I'm not at MBL yet (hopefully by Feb), but I'm on month 17 of a 30 month transition. I only trim relaxed ends every few months. There's no reason to BC, IMO. When my transition is completed, I will still have at least BSL/MBL hair.

Last edited:

LaFemmeNaturelle

:blush:I started transitioning at about 2 inches above bsl last November. I am now an inch above waistlength. I do braidouts and buns and finger detangling helps alot. I don't plan to cut until my natural hair is below shoulder length. I'm def not trying to deal with two textures until my natural hair reaches the length of my current length. But there are women who transitioned with many chops. Check out celinastarr (only person I can think of right now)

Last edited:

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
That would be me. I was mbl at my last relaxer. I wash/dc in plaits w/barettes. The hardest part is the tangling of the relaxed ends, but I have been trimming regularly to maintain mbl, so with time it gets better. There are wl/(+?) transitioners on this board, maybe they'll see this. I have settled into a groove and will probably just grow the relaxer totally out. I am sure it can be done with wl/hl hair, just requires more patience. IMO if you lack patience you are likely to struggle more.

brg240

I began transitioning when I was past mbl and now I'm 24 months in and am past wl. Finding a regimen that works for you. Dealing with two textures is pretty taxing for me. Washing in braids helps with tangling. If you trim along the way that will probably help too.

deontaer

Thanks ladies, you comments are really encouraging. I have another question..or 2. How often are you ladies washing or co-washing your hair? What leave-ins are you using on the demarcation line to help with breakage? How are you styling your hair? Are you constantly wearing protective styles or do you flat iron/press your hair to hide the different textures?

LaFemmeNaturelle

Thanks ladies, you comments are really encouraging. I have another question..or 2. How often are you ladies washing or co-washing your hair? What leave-ins are you using on the demarcation line to help with breakage? How are you styling your hair? Are you constantly wearing protective styles or do you flat iron/press your hair to hide the different textures?

I normally co-wash 1-2 times a week although sometimes I'll go more than a week (like now) if I dont feel good enough to fool with my hair. I use diluted Vo5 and sunflower oil (ceramides) as my leave in. I wear braidouts and buns most of the time. I have wigs but I havent worn them in a while. I have not flat ironed since my last relaxer because I work out everyday so there's no point because it will revert. I will however take a break from working out around the holidays and will flat iron then.

I haven't used shampoo in months and don't plan to use it until November probably when I get ready to straighten.

brg240 do you have a fotki or something?

SherylsTresses

How often are you ladies washing or co-washing your hair?
I too shampoo/DC once a week in braids with barrettes on the ends

What leave-ins are you using on the demarcation line to help with breakage?
I use V05 mixed with EVOO and aloe vera juice or Giovanni leave-in mixed with EVOO

How are you styling your hair?
My daily style is a braided ponytail tucked away in a claw

Are you constantly wearing protective styles or do you flat iron/press your hair to hide the different textures?
I consistently wear a braided pony that's tucked in with a claw
I rarely flat-iron; for special occasions, I now opt for a slick bun
I maintain my protective style by taking down my ponytail to moisturize and spray water onto it, tie up and go to bed

Last edited:

brg240

How often are you ladies washing or co-washing your hair?
Once a week generally, in 4 braids.

What leave-ins are you using on the demarcation line to help with breakage?
I use Burt's Bees More Moisture Raspberry Conditioner with Coconut oil (and occasionally olive) but as I've ran out I've been using different things, none have really agreed with my hair though :(
How are you styling your hair?
I generally wear a braided bun. I also often wear pigtails at home.

Are you constantly wearing protective styles or do you flat iron/press your hair to hide the different textures?
Yes, I wear protective styles constantly on weekends I'll wear braidouts. I don't flat iron my hair very often. Only on a whim, I don't have a set pattern. I think I've straightened my hair 4 times this year.

no fotki lafemme :(

Chrissmiss

I'm at mid back length and transitioning. I'm 5.5 months post. I am in braid extenstions right now and will be until mid december. I have been going between wearing my hair in cornrows and wearing it flatironed. No problems yet really with detangling or anything. Conditioner helps alot. My hair type is mostly 4a. I'd like to transition for at least a year... maybe 18 months. We'll see. But I wouldn't mind experiencing short hair again.

Ms. Martina

I don't know what "length" I am, but I do know that my hair is relaxed long and healthy. I am currently transitioning to natural hair though, and I will not do a big chop bc I have never had short hair and it would be a traumatic experience to just cut it all off like that. I'm about 4.5 months post my last relaxer right now. I am trying to decide where to go from here. It is becoming a pain, but I have been able to stay strong thus far. We will see how this goes lol. I'm glad you made this thread though, bc I haven't seen anyone else with long relaxed healthy hair just up and decide to go natural. It's comforting to know there are others out there who are in my shoes.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
Thanks ladies, you comments are really encouraging. I have another question..or 2. How often are you ladies washing or co-washing your hair? My relaxed hair doesn't care for cowashing, so my dcs serve my moisture needs. I wash every 2 wks if straigtening, weekly if not
What leave-ins are you using on the demarcation line to help with breakage? Other than random strands here and there, I haven't had issues with breakage following my regimen. I use the same ones I used when relaxed. My staple is salerm 21 b5 . Alba and silicon mix leave ins are a close second.
How are you styling your hair? I rollerset and flatiron my roots only mainly- I don't care for the braidout look on me, because it encourages my relaxed hair to tangle and I prefer a more cohesive look. If I don't flatiron, I wear 2 plaits and pin them up

Are you constantly wearing protective styles or do you flat iron/press your hair to hide the different textures? I wear my hair like I want to wear it up, down, but I do like to keep my hair in two plaits or bantu knots when I am home and to sleep. I am really big on protecting my hair from the elements so as it gets colder, my hair will be up more

10charlimit

MsLizziA

I maybe wrong b.c when I was a long term transitioner (before I found any hair community online), my hair was literally in braids for a year. Anyway, wouldn't it be easier to long term transition because you have length with MBL hair? Its just a theory because it seems like it would be easier to mask the 2 lengths

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I was just grazing MBL when I started my transition and I cut back to APL cos I had split ends and my hair felt thin at the ends. I'm 10 months post and I installed senegalese twists last month. I need to revisit my reggie and find products that will work on my natural hair hence the braids. But usually I wear braidouts and flexi rod sets. So far I haven't experienced any serious breakage other than my shedding issues :shrug:

SmilingElephant

Hello:wave:

I'm transitioning and i'm gonna be 24 weeks post this week....i'm 5 months post.

So far its been pretty smooth sailing with my transition...i am Waist Length. I wash my hair in 2 to 4 sections. I co-wash every other day, shampoo and dc weekly. I usually plair my hair up in 2-4 plaits at nite and put on satin rollers, bonnet up and nite nite.:sleep:

I haven't had horrible tangling YET:nono:.....i use a wide tooth comb daily so that the shed hairs don't accumulate and tangle up with the rest of my hair.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
LaFemmeNaturelle I may not have a choice. My ng is growing in so soft and managable these days, I don't think I can tell the difference between NG and the previously texlaxed hair like I could in the beginning. I don't know if it's the MSM that's doing that or what but, it seems I may be forced into a transition, ready or not. Although there is one section of my hair (front left side) that I was hoping to do a corrective texlax because I basically ran out of mix and it sits up higher on my head than the rest of my hair, making me feel lopsided. lol. I'm at 3 mos post and my hair is feeling very managable. I suppose I'll stretch a little longer and see how it's coming along next month. **gulp**